• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NC State Post Game Thoughts

VT opens as a 2.5 favorite tomorrow night, line down to 2 right now. Not gonna get a better chance to win another road game this year--can't squander this opportunity. GO DEACS!

Shows how crazy good the ACC is if our "best chance to win a road game" is still as a dog

This is the only road conference game we have more than a 29% chance in. ACC is tough and Wake isn't viewed as particularly good by Vegas or any advanced statistics.

5. Trap - We saw this against State, and I like this option for us to be honest. Trapping forces the defense to go into a rotation, but done correctly you force the dribbler backwards several steps, and potentially take them out of their offensive set. The danger is if the dribbler beats the trap, then the offense has a 5-3. The key to the trap is always going to be the lateral movement of the big man. He has to get low and wide and get the guards moving backward. If the guard is able to get forward momentum he will almost always be able to beat the trap because big man defenders have a hard time containing a dribbler 25 feet from the basket. I thought we did an above average job against State by trapping the pick and roll. I hope we see more of it.

I'm fine with trapping only if Devin is guarding the screener. I also think good teams will quickly figure out how to pick us apart when we trap the PnR. When you trap, or "blitz" the PnR your rotations and communication have to be precise. The Lebron Miami Heat are the only team I can think of that relied on this as their primary PnR defense.

I'd like to see us try to push more screens. Have our guard force the ballhandler away from the screen while our big drops back around the free throw line to corral the ballhandler until our guard can get back in position.

Hudson takes bad shots, but he also hits big shots. He hit a big three midway through the 2nd half that either stopped the bleeding on State's run or started our next run, can't remembver.

You sometimes have to live with bad shots taken by your guys that hit big shots. Interestingly, DT is not a big shot type of guy. Historically anyway, he loses his shit basically lowers his head and drives for his left handed scoop layup which usually results in a turnover. So our big shots guys are Hudson, Crawford, and I think Dinos. CMM on the drive as well.

Hudson made one shot Sunday. It was a lay-up with 12:48 left in the first half to put us up 13-10.

Because you still win those games 2 or 3 times out of 10? Statistics REALLY doesn't appear to be in your wheelhouse. Even a basic understanding of statistics.

Pats were a 12 point favorite in Super Bowl 2009 which equates to roughly an 88.5% chance of winning. Why even play the game Giants?

Yeah the Pats 19-0 season was really a crowning achievement in sports.

I also think the 1983 Houston title team is one of the best in sports history. Similarly the 1980 USSR hockey team could never be beaten - too bad we couldn't get that olympic gold ourselves

Back