• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NCAA considering freshmen ineligible rule for basketball per 247 Sports

How does the NBA get away with their rule? Wouldn't this be similar?

In a supreme court decision from 20+ years ago, they said that a sports league could set a standard for employment. I think it was when Hershel wanted to leave UGA early, and the NFL denied his hardship case. (Thank you Spencer Haywood). But what is the justification to have a kid go to a school for one year and he doesn't play?

In a supreme court decision from 20+ years ago, they said that a sports league could set a standard for employment. I think it was when Hershel wanted to leave UGA early, and the NFL denied his hardship case. (Thank you Spencer Haywood). But what is the justification to have a kid go to a school for one year and he doesn't play?

Ok I figured it was something like that.

Couldn't the NCAA say that they want their students to GAIN eligibility before playing sports? Prove that they can handle their academic responsibilities before devoting so much time to sports. Plenty of collegiate extracurricular activities don't let you enroll until you've been on campus for a semester or two, and have a high enough GPA.

It would be a dumb argument but not dumber then what the NBA is doing. It's time for college basketball to fight back.

Last edited:
Yes, because what we need is more NCAA power and control over these spoiled student athletes.

Also, there will never be a go directly out of HS or 2 year or go directly out of HS or 3 year rule. The NBA doesn't want to draft high schoolers, ever. They've already won that CBA battle, they aren't ever going backwards on that even if it tacks on another year in college.

The logical conclsion will be the NBA eventually getting one more year tacked on to the requirements out of HS because the players union will use it as a negotiating chip when it comes to something else more important to them. But this proposal is just batshit from the NCAA.

Yes, because what we need is more NCAA power and control over these spoiled student athletes.

Forcing kids to get their academic game in order before they see the court/field would actually be a long term positive. You know if we actually GAF about the future of our student-athletes. Most of them aren't walking away with a competitive degree.

The NCAA is going to hasten their own demise with stupid ideas like this.

NBA rule is due to collective bargaining. The NCAA forcing players to sit out their freshman year is cutting off their nose to spite their face. It's idiotic.

The NBA has the rule to protect their brand so they don't have to draft high schoolers, as noted above. The NCAA passing any rule limiting eligibility will only hurt them.

Forcing kids to get their academic game in order before they see the court/field would actually be a long term positive. You know if we actually GAF about the future of our student-athletes. Most of them aren't walking away with a competitive degree.

This is the OWGest thing ever posted.

Oh the NCAA is a fucking archaic disgrace. But in this instance they are hypothetically damaging their product in order to help the students they pretend to care about. Just saying.

Can't the NBA just say that you have to have a bachelor's degree as a condition of employment? I don't see why this would be an issue if they really wanted to put a stop to players leaving school early.

Can't the NBA just say that you have to have a bachelor's degree as a condition of employment? I don't see why this would be an issue if they really wanted to put a stop to players leaving school early.

They want them to leave early, just not too early.

The NBA doesn't care about players leaving school early.

They want them to leave early, just not too early.

They also have to collectively bargain eligibility requirements, among other things, as to not be in violation of antitrust laws.

No it's an honest objective opinion from a non groupthink point of view

You guys all agreeing on this is boring and pointless

Well it may be boring and pointless but it's probably because it's the right position. This would not help the NCAA at all.

Back