• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NCAA Test Score Requirements

Palmettodeac

Reaction score
I know the NCAA academic requirements for athletic eligibility. However, do schools typically publish their requirements if higher than NCAA standards? I've tried google to no avail.

If not published, does anyone happen to know the minimum SAT/ACT requirement for an athlete at Wake Forest or Duke? Or is it simply a case-by-case determination so long as NCAA minimums are met?

Of course, I'm assuming that athletes must have at least the NCAA minimum score even though Wake no longer requires test scores to apply.

I know the NCAA academic requirements for athletic eligibility. However, do schools typically publish their requirements if higher than NCAA standards? I've tried google to no avail.

If not published, does anyone happen to know the minimum SAT/ACT requirement for an athlete at Wake Forest or Duke? Or is it simply a case-by-case determination so long as NCAA minimums are met?

Of course, I'm assuming that athletes must have at least the NCAA minimum score even though Wake no longer requires test scores to apply.

Regardless of what you hear or read, any school can admit anybody they want.

Last edited:
Regarless of what you hear or read, any school can admit anybody they want.
It's a shame we didnt want Artis Gilmore when he wanted us. Paired with CD, Gil, and the rest of those guys, we might very well have a national championship banner hanging and who knows how history might have been altered.

It's a shame we didnt want Artis Gilmore when he wanted us. Paired with CD, Gil, and the rest of those guys, we might very well have a national championship banner hanging and who knows how history might have been altered.

We could have admitted him but he would not have been eligible to play ACC athletics. 800 minimun rule then even for JC transfers.

The Orlando sentinel published a story a few years ago which grouped ACC schools based upon the difficulty of each school's admission standards for incoming football recruits.

Wake, Duke, and BC were in the top tier. Ga Tech was in the next group.

NC State and FSU were in the bottom tier with the easiest standards.

^And then there was the UNC tier. Wayyyy down the list. Have they ever not gotten someone in?

Regardless of what you hear or read, any school can admit anybody they want.

I did not ask about admissions. I asked about athletic eligibility requirements. However, thank you for the reply.

I did not ask about admissions. I asked about athletic eligibility requirements. However, thank you for the reply.

You are correct. Athletic eligibility is an NCAA matter. Each school can have tougher requirements if they want and they can make them whatever they want as long as it meets NCAA minimum.

^And then there was the UNC tier. Wayyyy down the list. Have they ever not gotten someone in?

Umm, UNC graduates pretty much all of their kids cum laude. And hell, even the much-maligned Marvin Austin took a 3000 level writing class in his first semester. Clearly, that's an indication that they accept only top-notch student athletes.

Gotta love a school that gives out 80% A's and B's. Hell, I think a basketball rack could stay eligible if they needed it enough.

Back