• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ncaa tourney thread--the refs fubar

So what you're saying is that they didn't play Duke and Virginia. That's a fair point, Virginia is done, but Duke is possibly in the pipe. Will you still be calling them untested if they go undefeated against Duke, Notre Dame, Carolina, and Louisville? Or do they also need to play Clemson and FSU?

No, hence my comment, "If they go undefeated and win a National Championship they've proven all they need to prove."

There's just no need to hype their regular season. Prior to the tournament they were what, in the 40's in SOS? Only one team left in the tourney had a weaker schedule. Notre Dame was the best team they played all year but people are shocked it was a close game and the line was double digits. The next two games will likely be against teams that are better than Notre Dame (Wisconsin and Duke/Gonzaga). Kentucky has flaws - they've just played zero elite teams since last January or whatever so nobody's seen many of those flaws until tonight.

Honestly I think it's more impressive for them to run through these last 3 teams, assuming they win it all, when you consider the lack of competition they played against to this point.

Duke is going down tomorrow to Gonzaga.

That ND-Kentucky game was a classic. Really impressed by ND's ability to get to the basket and continue to do so even when swatted or missing a shot. They were really playing lights out. The thing with Kentucky is you feel like they can turn it on at any point, and that seems to be what they end up doing at the end. At some point, that's bound to catch up with them, but that doesn't mean it's going to happen this season.

UK got some really lucky calls against augustine early in the game

What pisses me off is ND played a great 58:00. But then in the last 2:00, they had 2 possessions up 2 and tied. It's not like you're up by 5-6 and want to milk clock - you're up 2 and then tied. And they lost their offensive aggression. They ran the whole shot clock and gave the ball to Grant to take a wild shot as the clock expired. Then UK did a nice job with 6 seconds left to double Grant all the way down the floor and he got off an even worse shot. ND had a real shot at UK and blinked. Badly.

I was at a friend's house, and we were watching during commercial breaks the Lady Zags similarly blow a double digit lead on Tennessee with 5:00 left - they also completely lost all offensive aggression. Hopefully, their men won't do the same against Dick.

All the credit in the world to ND and Brey for being in the game, but hero ball lost the game at the end. UK did a phenomenal job of defending the high pick and roll, but Grant kept refusing screens. If the Irish had run the offense they ran all night I feel like they would have won the game.

Grant probably walked on that last shot. Just be glad he missed it or we'd be hearing about it from UK fans for the next twenty years.

Happy to see Kentucky win. Fuck Notre Dame.

Kentucky winning also pisses off the Cincinnati/Xavier noobs around here so it is a win/win.

NDs gameplan was great but I don't think they played as well as they did in Greensboro. Obviously UK did well contesting 3s, but the Irish didn't knock down the open ones at their normal clip.

BTW, why is Okafor the consensus #1 pick over Towns? I've been wondering this for a while and love this guy. Okafor may have more athleticism and versatility, but he turns it over a fair amount, and he's nowhere near as mature as Towns.

All the credit in the world to ND and Brey for being in the game, but hero ball lost the game at the end. UK did a phenomenal job of defending the high pick and roll, but Grant kept refusing screens. If the Irish had run the offense they ran all night I feel like they would have won the game.

Brey really should have had a timeout left at the end.

I liked this ND team, but I was kind of glad to see Kentucky win because (1) I don't want Duke to win the title and (2) it is an interesting story and if they lose, I don't really have any reason to watch the Final 4.

Back