• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NCAA Track Regionals

ziggy95

Reaction score
Congrats to javelin thrower Jessie Merckle(junior) and pole vaulter Katie Adair(junior) for qualifying to the NCAA finals in Eugene, OR in two weeks.

We've got 4 athletes competing today. John Maurins in the shot put (freshman is a beast. He's shot putting farther than Wake Forest great (two-time NCAA champion and 4th place Olympics) Andy Bloom was as a freshman. Two-time ACC champ Nyki Caldwell(senior) is competing in the high jump. Both Maurins and Caldwell will need to improve on their best performances to make the top 12 and qualify for NCAA finals.

Kyle Graves (Senior) will compete in the men's 1500 meters. He'll need a fast pace and good tactics to qualify for NCAA finals. The final participant is Samantha Jones(Junior) in the 5000 meters. She's seeded in the low to mid 20's in her event so she'll need a combination of a solid race plus some of the higher seeded competitors to wilt in the heat and humidity of Jacksonville, FL to make the NCAA finals.

Thanks for the update and insight. So Caldwell is the two time ACC champ but wouldn't qualify for the NCAA tourney unless she improved on her personal best - I guess ACC high jumping isn't that strong?

Thanks for the update and insight. So Caldwell is the two time ACC champ but wouldn't qualify for the NCAA tourney unless she improved on her personal best - I guess ACC high jumping isn't that strong?

Rafi, That's correct. There are a couple of ACC girls ahead(on the performance list) of Caldwell that she's beaten at the conference meet. Maryland leaving the conference helped our chances in the women's high jump.

Kyle Graves qualified by finishing second in the 1500.

Kyle Graves qualified by finishing second in the 1500.

Nice race(s) by Graves. I understand he has already started physical therapy school........probably no paper classes there!

Kyle Graves advanced out of his semi-final heat at the NCAA finals in Eugene, OR yesterday. The finals are set for Friday. Great run by Graves!

Kyle Graves advanced out of his semi-final heat at the NCAA finals in Eugene, OR yesterday. The finals are set for Friday. Great run by Graves!

Good for him............hope he runs the race of his life tomorrow

Awesome! Were our last NCAA finalists Sikes and Bingham?

Pretty sure Merckle won the first round in the javelin. She has a chance to win the National Title.

She's throwing well. She can finish top 4-5. The girl from Va. Tech can bomb it.

7th place ( I believe that's a new season's best for Merckle in terms of distance). Top 8 in each event score points so Wake Women's Track and Field will have a place at nationals which means Director's Cup points for the school

That's great. Thanks for the updates. A season-best throw in the NCAA championships is clutch.

I think you kinda elaborated for him just now.

It seems that she had a decent shot to win. She made the finals which appeared to only be the top 9 in the country. I mean maybe there was a 2000 Tiger out there, who knows?

Seems like a pretty weird thing to jump all over since she was in the lead for a long time last night and made the NCAA finals. Also since you know, this is a Wake sports message board for chatting.

Just seems like an odd thing to get your panties in a bunch over Juice.

Gotta defer to our boy Juice on that one.

ETA: Jokes aside it doesn't look like he has a GREAT shot but who knows based on the numbers? He got second in his preliminary heat but the top 9 from the other heat were all faster than everyone in the second heat period by three seconds if the numbers I see are accurate.

Last edited:
Back