• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Neil Basford TE No Longer Listed on Roster

Wonder how good he could have been if he had gone to a school that actually used TE's in their offense.

He had some significant offers coming out of high school.

Wonder how good he could have been if he had gone to a school that actually used TE's in their offense.

He had some significant offers coming out of high school.

I hear the new OC at Winston-Salem State has designed his offense around the TE.

I hear the new OC at Winston-Salem State has designed his offense around the TE.

Yep, that's what I read too. He must have a history of utilizing the TE a lot at his previous stops.

Just got back from a coffee run - Anybody else get booted-out the last 15 minutes?

Our first team TE is a RF. Our second TE is a true F. Duh

Looks like with Basford's size he could've helped out with the run game this year.

He voluntarily quit Sunday morning.

Man it is great to have a coach where a player voluntarily quits 2 games into the season. I say that with utmost sincerity. Both of our coaching staffs were a bunch of primadonas. I really love that we have guys from the previous regime quitting.

Now if this is happening with regularity in 4 years it won't be such a great thing, but it is very encouraging to see Clawson and Manning weed out the guys that aren't mentally tough enough to stick around.

Edited in response to the negrep that I received from StrickDeac:

If a player quits two games into the season I think it is very likely he is mentally weak. What has changed at this point in the year that he didn't already know a month ago? Where is Basford going to go right now that it is so urgent he leave his teammates after the 2nd game. He could transfer in December and still have the exact same amount of eligibility as he does by leaving now.

If he has had a tragedy of some sort in his family or life then I somewhat understand him leaving, although I am sure that if the situation warranted it our coaching staff would just give him a leave of absence from the team, but outside of that there is no sensible reason to walk out on your teammates 2 games into the college football season.

Last edited:
Man it is great to have a coach where a player voluntarily quits 2 games into the season. I say that with utmost sincerity. Both of our coaching staffs were a bunch of primadonas. I really love that we have guys from the previous regime quitting.

Now if this is happening with regularity in 4 years it won't be such a great thing, but it is very encouraging to see Clawson and Manning weed out the guys that aren't mentally tough enough to stick around.

If a player quits two games into the season I think it is very likely he is mentally weak. What has changed at this point in the year that he didn't already know a month ago? Where is Basford going to go right now that it is so urgent he leave his teammates after the 2nd game. He could transfer in December and still have the exact same amount of eligibility as he does by leaving now.

If he has had a tragedy of some sort in his family or life then I somewhat understand him leaving, although I am sure that if the situation warranted it our coaching staff would just give him a leave of absence from the team, but outside of that there is no sensible reason to walk out on your teammates 2 games into the college football season.

I think this relates to the concussion.

I think this relates to the concussion.

A severe concussion, especially if it is not the first one you've had, would be a sensible reason to walk out on your teammates 2 games into the college football season.

I'm waiting for the thread that says Ron Wellman has been dismissed.

Dateline Winston-Salem Journal, Sometime in the future: Ron Wellman was dismissed today. It is reported that it was an "Infraction of University Policies". This usually means a failed drug test. Wellman stated in a phone interview "I really studied for that test, now I have dozens of unopened boxes of Doritos in my office."

A severe concussion, especially if it is not the first one you've had, would be a sensible reason to walk out on your teammates 2 games into the college football season.

Agreed. Certainly a good reason. My apologies to any of his family or friends reading. Did not realize he had a concussion.

I've had 5-8 severe concussions during my less than remarkable football life and in my early 40's I'm already having memory issues. Things from 30 years ago I can remember like yesterday. Things from yesterday, I can barely recall. Disbelief that it would ever happen to you becomes aggravation and frustration that it is happening and eventually concern that there's not much you can do about it.

It's good we are having greater conversations about head injuries now. Players should support themselves in making that hard decision and support their teammates when they do. You don't walk out on them- they hold the door open and wish you the best. Hope Basford gets through this tough decision and does well in life.

Back