• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New Big East Contract to be near ACC payout - Fire Swofford Already

Steels

Reaction score
http://media.espn929.com/a/61472900...esco-w-chris-vernon-8-15-12.htm?q=mike+aresco
(best stuff around 13 minute mark)

New contract is expected to surpass 1.4 billion 9 year deal the Big East rejected in 2011 despite losing WVU, Cuse, and Pitt. The ACC's contract pays way less than its market value and our contract is the longest which combined means the ACC is underpaid well over $100 million. Swofford's negotiating incompetence has positioned the ACC to collapse as we know it and if he remains in control he's just going to waste more time hopelessly courting ND.

Last edited:
He's terrible, for the league and for Wake Forest. The only people he's not terrible for is UNC.

Big East hired a TV guy to be their commish. Seems to be working out.

He's terrible, for the league and for Wake Forest. The only people he's not terrible for is UNC.

Please tell me how he is better for UNC than Wake.

But our Tier 5 rights are worth about a $$KBillions€! and are still intact.

Everything is equal in the ACC. How is it any better or worse for UNC-Ch or Wake Forest. Seems to me Swoffor has done a great job expanding the conference and footprint all the way up th East Coast and adding Pitt & Syracuse. We will get Notre Dame & UConn soon and be done with the expansion.

Everything is equal in the ACC. How is it any better or worse for UNC-Ch or Wake Forest. Seems to me Swoffor has done a great job expanding the conference and footprint all the way up th East Coast and adding Pitt & Syracuse. We will get Notre Dame & UConn soon and be done with the expansion.

Is this serious?

We do have 5 year looking to bring the contract up to market value. I would think this involves some kind of appraisal process.

Also, if the ACC hadn't been so damn bad in every aspect of football for several years, our contract would be better. Perhaps we should start rooting for the ACC to do well OOC.

$17 million per year avg > $11 million per year avg. And we weren't on the open market like the Big East. Sure the big east may get a bit more Than 11 but I doubt it's that close to the ACC

Did you listen to the podcast?

Everything is equal in the ACC. How is it any better or worse for UNC-Ch or Wake Forest. Seems to me Swoffor has done a great job expanding the conference and footprint all the way up th East Coast and adding Pitt & Syracuse. We will get Rutgers & UConn soon and be done with the expansion.

Fixed it.

If we add UConn and Rutgers it will be a sign of desperately trying to keep up by watering down the conference permanently, just like each of Swofford's moves over recent years. The best thing that the ACC could do at this point for stability is swap BC and GT in football divisions. That would make FSU and Clemson happy and less likely they'd jump to the Big XII by putting them all in the Atlantic division to go head to head with their SEC East rivals for southern recruits. FSU has been upset they rarely play GT when it's the closest ACC school to them, and having the two closest schools to GT in the other division is bad for getting the Atlanta market which is the heart of Southern football.

Last edited:
Inwouldn't mind adding Louisville and Cincy. Louisville's basketball program apparently makes more money than most college football programs.

Is this serious?

Yes, it is serious. I do not believe we will want Rutgers. They add nothing. UConn's new president has told the AD to get things up to par in academics and atheltics so the ACC will want to take them. UConn will add to the footprint when that occurs. ND is a natural and will start feeling the pressure as the NBC contract comes closer & closer to its end. They are a natural academic & athletic fit for the ACC and are already playing what seems like 1/2 of the ACC in football every year.

Back