• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coach brings hope to Wake Forest

Grobe was a mediocre coach who got lucky that Bowden stayed too long and FSU became a dumpster fire; the stars aligned. I like his old school demeanor but he was not a "gameday coach." Still, it seems Wake did fail to take advantage of the Orange Bowl/ACC season and put shovels in the ground for facilities. Letting the weight room go so long is inexcusable. Wake is awake, as he says. Now if we could just get an AD who fits this century.

Grobe needs to stop taking about what Wellman didn't do for him. Grobe squandered all the improvements made after the Orange Bowl. There's no evidence he would have done better with an indoor practice facility.

Grobe needs to stop taking about what Wellman didn't do for him. Grobe squandered all the improvements made after the Orange Bowl. There's no evidence he would have done better with an indoor practice facility.

Wellman didn't install the option. Without the option we would have went bowling last year.

The money flowed in as soon as Grobe was gone

Worth remembering Grobe's quotes from last year after the State game:

“First of all, I want to get started. I want to thank Ron Wellman,” Grobe said. “I want to thank my boss. I don’t think anybody in the country has a better athletic director than Wake Forest."

Grobe always was honest with his post-game comments

We beat a soon to be 0-8 team at home and it was considered a huge victory. Pathetic.

The money flowed in as soon as Grobe was gone

Grobe stubbornly refuses to acknowledge how much the Wake fan base despised Lobo, the #2 man in charge of the program, and his shit offensive schemes. The nepotism just made it worse.

We didn't run "the option" in the 2013 spring game. Our offense scored 3 points. Our offense was terribad option or no.

I have largely blocked out the season, but feel pretty confident that without the option we would have won against BC and ULM.

Worth remembering Grobe's quotes from last year after the State game:

“First of all, I want to get started. I want to thank Ron Wellman,” Grobe said. “I want to thank my boss. I don’t think anybody in the country has a better athletic director than Wake Forest."

Grobe always was honest with his post-game comments

Then three months later, after he was 'resign fired', he's on the airwaves saying that he didn't get enough support from the Administration.

“Then we got to the point everyone realized we could win. We went to the Orange Bowl, then won nine games and then eight,” Grobe said. “Everyone realized we could win, but then we got to the point where everyone expected us to win. That’s not a good place to be at Wake Forest, especially if you’re not doing things to keep up with other programs. On one hand it was an honor they thought I could do it by myself, but at some point the school needed to step up and the best opportunity for that to happen was for Jim Grobe not to be there.”

^^^

[Redacted] and Wellman sucking touch every sport.

Then three months later, after he was 'resign fired', he's on the airwaves saying that he didn't get enough support from the Administration.

“Then we got to the point everyone realized we could win. We went to the Orange Bowl, then won nine games and then eight,” Grobe said. “Everyone realized we could win, but then we got to the point where everyone expected us to win. That’s not a good place to be at Wake Forest, especially if you’re not doing things to keep up with other programs. On one hand it was an honor they thought I could do it by myself, but at some point the school needed to step up and the best opportunity for that to happen was for Jim Grobe not to be there.”

:rulz: this is far more damning than any other part of the quote

Thoughts on Grobe and his resignation:
1. Grobe's teams won when he had the best athletes such as but not limited to Abate, Curry, Smith, Vaughn and Skinner, all of whom were not highly recruited but were great college players;
2. Grobe's teams lost when the same level of recruits later on were not as good as Abate, Curry, Smith and Skinner, which tells me that players win games by being better players than the other guys, irrespective of the offensive style;
3. Clawson said at a small fund raising gathering recently that Wake's facilities were the worst in the ACC and pointed out that Duke's rise in football coincided with Duke's upgrade in facilities and that he would not have taken the job unless Wake upgraded its facilities;
4. People who criticize Grobe's head coaching style - hands off of actual coaching and calmness on the sidelines during games - have never played in games with a hyper nervous coach on the sidelines; think Joe Torre and Tony LaRusso, both new hall of fame coaches, and Tom Landry, all of whom were very calm on the sideline/dugout. That style works, when you have players who can play;
5. Wake is now upgrading its facilities - I gave more than I am able;
6. Wake was lucky to have had Grobe as its coach and Wake is now lucky to have Clawson as its coach, both quality and intelligent coaches and character individuals.
7. Go Deacs.

My goodness there are some bitter folks. Guy posts an article about clawson, and we dive back into being miserable about what grobe didn't do. I don't think you luck into an 11-3 record and acc championship. That defense was real, the offense was steady, and didn't turn the ball over. The special teams units might have been the best in he he country. That's what grobe preached. Great defense, don't turn the ball over on offense, and play great in kicking game. That team was exactly what he wanted it to be. Passing it off as "luck" is just ignorant. He didn't change/adapt and the game passed him up. Maybe he got a few extra years because of the ACC ship and most bowl games ever by a wake coach. But just let it go and look forward.

What is not talked about enough is the great man he was and what he taught his players off the field. With very few exceptions, many of them are leading great lives, families, and even coaching themselves. He had a great legacy of more than just Ws and Ls. His staff was the same way. Dean hood quote "I won't know how good of a coach I've been till I see these guys in 10 years as husbands and fathers."

1. Grobe's teams won when he had the best athletes such as but not limited to Abate, Curry, Smith, Vaughn and Skinner, all of whom were not highly recruited but were great college players;
2. Grobe's teams lost when the same level of recruits later on were not as good as Abate, Curry, Smith and Skinner, which tells me that players win games by being better players than the other guys, irrespective of the offensive style;
3. Clawson said at a small fund raising gathering recently that Wake's facilities were the worst in the ACC and pointed out that Duke's rise in football coincided with Duke's upgrade in facilities and that he would not have taken the job unless Wake upgraded its facilities;
4. People who criticize Grobe's head coaching style - hands off of actual coaching and calmness on the sidelines during games - have never played in games with a hyper nervous coach on the sidelines; think Joe Torre and Tony LaRusso, both new hall of fame coaches, and Tom Landry, all of whom were very calm on the sideline/dugout. That style works, when you have players who can play;
6. Wake was lucky to have had Grobe as its coach and Wake is now lucky to have Clawson as its coach, both quality and intelligent coaches and character individuals.
7. Go Deacs.

And coaches/coordinators that can coach/coordinate.

7. Go Deacs.

Thank you. we all need to do this if we want to get better.

My goodness there are some bitter folks. Guy posts an article about clawson, and we dive back into being miserable about what grobe didn't do. I don't think you luck into an 11-3 record and acc championship. That defense was real, the offense was steady, and didn't turn the ball over. The special teams units might have been the best in he he country. That's what grobe preached. Great defense, don't turn the ball over on offense, and play great in kicking game. That team was exactly what he wanted it to be. Passing it off as "luck" is just ignorant. He didn't change/adapt and the game passed him up. Maybe he got a few extra years because of the ACC ship and most bowl games ever by a wake coach. But just let it go and look forward.

Two points that are both true:
1) Jim Grobe is the best football coach Wake has had up to this point in its history.
2) Jim Grobe, for whatever reason, let the program fall into disrepair his last few years at Wake.

I have been disappointed with Coach Grobe's media statements since he stepped down. I don't doubt his character, but the whining about new energy at school and facilities takes away from the respect I had from him. It doesn't erase it, but it does take away.

Back