• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

that's a bit of a stretch of what les said

but it could be an early test of the reaction

I would imagine Kelsey would a great interview. He's an outgoing guy, a bulldog and knows what buttons to push at Wake.

remember when we hired Bz and "insiders" said we were interviewing Izzo, Jay Wright, and Billy Donovan?

We all know how this goes. First the AD puts out feelers for this, then the DC illuminati are instructed to start preaching his praises.
Time for another one of those Zoom meetings with the DC social media "influencers"?

You can't be this dense.

Could we pay a 67yo $4-5M/year? Yep.

Would we want to? Maybe not.

Would we want to set up another hire at that price in five years or so when JB retires? Probably not.

How many schools replace a HC, who isn't a lifer there, for less money than the person who retires? I can't think of any or many.

Would we pay Matta $4M/year? Much more likely. He might be around 10-20 years.

I completely realize that it's much easier to attack RJ no matter what than it is to think strategically or rationally.

It’s easy to attack you because you are all over the place, equivocate everything, and call people names. And what you’re saying makes no sense. You hire the best dude you can afford who meets your needs. You pay accordingly. Why would we hire Matt for $5M but not Beilein? Do you think we wouldn’t have to give Matta a raise or he sticks around?

The rumor Beilein asked for too much $$$ is definitely out there.

Could be total bullshit... but it's out there.

remember when we hired Bz and "insiders" said we were interviewing Izzo, Jay Wright, and Billy Donovan?

Yep, that's why it's hard to get too excited about any of these reports. We've been teased with Brad Stevens, Shaka Smart, etc and ended up getting [redacted] and Manning

Seems legit. We have to ask. He has to take the interview. Not sold on taking job. Asks for a number he couldn’t turn down.

Asked and answered. Moved on to more realistic options.

I'm not "all over the place". You called me delusional before I said anything to you.

JB will be gone due to his age and we'd have to replace him at about the same amount of money for a lesser coach. Because we CAN pay doesn't mean we WANT to pay him that much.

Matta could be here for the long haul. He could get a better deal.

Seems legit. We have to ask. He has to take the interview. Not sold on taking job. Asks for a number he couldn’t turn down.

Asked and answered. Moved on to more realistic options.

Do we really think this has all taken place in 24hr? Interview, interest, salary discussion, parting of ways?

It can't be possible. I said it might be so.

Just like it couldn't be possible that Goodman was wrong and I had material from a Tier 1 person that the same thing. It's not even possible after people said they saw the material and it was true.

Oh yeah, it still wasn't true after JOHN CURRIE confirmed Goodman was wrong. The machinations to get around Currie's direct comment were board classics.

ANYTHING to get around admitting I was right and many on the board were wrong.

Sad, but predictable. :dumb:

Do we really think this has all taken place in 24hr? Interview, interest, salary discussion, parting of ways?

I think it's very possible Currie had feelers/reached out/got the official word in the past 50 days, even if it's just coming out today officially.

It can't be possible. I said it might be so.

Just like it couldn't be possible that Goodman was wrong and I had material from a Tier 1 person that the same thing. It's not even possible after people said they saw the material and it was true.

Oh yeah, it still wasn't true after JOHN CURRIE confirmed Goodman was wrong. The machinations to get around Currie's direct comment were board classics.

ANYTHING to get around admitting I was right and many on the board were wrong.

Sad, but predictable. :dumb:

What cheese do you prefer with your whine?

Probably taken from RJ on this board and passed around a few rounds of telephone until the actual source is lost. Happens every year at this time.

I'm not "all over the place". You called me delusional before I said anything to you.

JB will be gone due to his age and we'd have to replace him at about the same amount of money for a lesser coach. Because we CAN pay doesn't mean we WANT to pay him that much.

Matta could be here for the long haul. He could get a better deal.

You said you thought Beilein would have come if Chaundee stayed. Now it’s money. Even though you said money wasn’t a problem with Beilein. But now it is. But only because we don’t want to pay. Not because we can’t. Yes. You are all over the place.

Back