• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

Hiring Amaker would feel like hiring guys like Paul Hewitt, Dave Leitao, Seth Greenberg, Al Skinner. They were coaches at the P5 level for a while, didn’t really make a huge splash or maybe had brief success like Hewitt. Just coaches. Never good enough to threaten, not bad enough to fire immediately.

Best case you’re getting NCSU Herb Sendek.

Come on Currie let’s get a little further out on the limb. Whoever said this smells like his Bruce Weber here was spot on.

Ugh. I remember how I felt when Bz was announced. And how I felt right before he was announced. I'm starting to feel like that.

Yuuup. When we hired [Redacted] I was like who the hell? Well he was a coach at P5 so surely he’s got some ability based on that. Barf.

Per twitter there was a local flight out of Naples to Winston-Salem today and Matta has a house in Marco Island which would be consistent with that

Yuuup. When we hired [Redacted] I was like who the hell? Well he was a coach at P5 so surely he’s got some ability based on that. Barf.

That was such a bad hire. At that time we could've gotten somebody pretty good and for Ronnie to go out on such a limb and hire [Redacted], was almost criminal. Much worse than even the Manning hire, because our job was not as good at that time and Manning was a name with possibly good upside. Of course Manning turned out to be as bad or worse than [Redacted].

So, by my math:

$7.5=x/2

Goodman seems like he nailed "x" (or at least close enough that calling him a liar is silly) and Currie just didn't want to have to publicly explain away his predecessor's incompetence.

Anyway, a $7.5 million dollar buyout in the middle of an impending Depression seems like a pretty good explanation for why we're strongly considering somebody with Tommy Amaker's resume. Amaker would be the third straight coaching hire who still wouldn't be an improvement over the coach we fired and leaked embarrassing rumors about to the press and to the Wake community. Maybe Currie should just re-hire Dino...

Amaker is such a drop off from Forbes, let alone Beilein and Matta, and unlike Miller and Kelsey, has virtually no ceiling at the P6 level.

ETA: and fuck me if we hire a fucking Duke grad. DR and some of y'all jizzing yourselves over a Carolina grad is one thing, but a Duke grad? Have some fucking dignity, Wake grads.

I concur with this. Let’s get Frank Johnson.

that plane is immediately going to Roanoke (where it looks like it might be based out of?) after landing in Winston

not sure how common that is for charter jets, but figured i'd mention

Back