• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

Someone can know that Winthrop’s conference is trash and still think Kelsey has a high ceiling as a coach. The two aren’t mutually exclusive.

Doofus twins need to save the KP shit for another thread.

UNCG has more top 100 KP finishes the last three years than Wake does the last decade.

How about the decade before? I'm not sure our last decade is a benchmark any of us are particularly eager to use for our next coach.

If anybody is not subscribed to DDD, now is the time to sign up. Les' updates cut right through so much of the BS floating around and address a lot of the (mostly negative) misinformation

Les’s outlook is decidedly sunnier. The problem is we are dealing with Wake Forest. It’s much more likely the doom and gloom prognostications will be correct. We’ll see who’s right in the end.

How about the decade before? I'm not sure our last decade is a benchmark any of us are particularly eager to use for our next coach.

A decade is an eternity in college sports. We have a high ceiling as a program as evidenced by the Duncan/Paul era but at some point your program is what it is. That's not to say we can't get back to high points but to stick your nose up at guys who have turned a program from a doormat program of the 350 NCAA teams into a consistent top 100 team (regardless of conference) shows that our fanbase sucks just as much as any other fanbase.

I am now 100% in on Bobby.

It's Richey or bust at this point.

LFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Currie make it happen bro.

I’d take Kelsey or Miller over Amaker.

I’d take Kelsey over Miller.

Kelsey is hungry and has a some of that Skip fire in him, something our program desperately needs. He could be our Clawson.

Too much blue goat baggage hanging on Wes Miller. I don’t want our coach to slobber all over Roy and UNC. I want our coach to kick his deputy dog ass.

Both are better than Amaker. He reminds of [Redacted].

Some coach or coaches are going to get nice extensions because of mentioned in this coaching search. Which ones - stay tuned.

If kelsey has such a high ceiling then why hasn't he dominated that trash conference with the program with the biggest name cachet

Someone can know that Winthrop’s conference is trash and still think Kelsey has a high ceiling as a coach. The two aren’t mutually exclusive.

Counterpoint: He inherited a really strong program relative to the rest of the conference, has been there for fucking ever, and has only made the tournament twice. His teams tend to be pretty dogshit defensively, and the UMass thing looms large (especially as he's still at the same low-major he was at a decade ago). Hell, Richey with his three years of coaching experience has already done something more impressive at a more competitive job.

Right and people can also point out that if it's a Miller v. Kelsey comparison - where both can have high ceilings - it's worthwhile to point out that one of the two has actually taken a team in a better conference to a higher ceiling than the other. That's entirely relevant to how a coach is able to build up a program even if it doesn't include all relevant variables (recruiting at a higher level for one).

My apologies for offering a little perspective. Just pointing out three potential candidates (Forbes, Miller and Richey) have coached their teams to significantly higher level than one of the other candidates (Kelsey). Kelsey's passion will make us all feel so much better about another 11-21 season.

If kelsey has such a high ceiling then why hasn't he dominated that trash conference with the program with the biggest name cachet

Right. Even in a shitty conference, Winthrop has only been the top KP team twice in eight years under Kelsey.

I’d take Kelsey or Miller over Amaker.

I’d take Kelsey over Miller.

Kelsey is hungry and has a some of that Skip fire in him, something our program desperately needs. He could be our Clawson.

Too much blue goat baggage hanging on Wes Miller. I don’t want our coach to slobber all over Roy and UNC. I want our coach to kick his deputy dog ass.

Both are better than Amaker. He reminds of [Redacted].

This, fuck little Wes. Once a hole always a hole.

Snobs.

Yet Danny Manning had the pen and paper ready to sign Harry Giles, a kid who “graduated” high school from a now defunct online diploma mill.

GTFOH with that elitist bullshit.

All of this. Manning has been a attrocious academics wise, without hardly a complaint. The same posters I've seen talking down Forbes are often those who were Manning's biggest defenders.

Last edited:
The only question with Miller is the optics from both sides....

A decade is an eternity in college sports. We have a high ceiling as a program as evidenced by the Duncan/Paul era but at some point your program is what it is. That's not to say we can't get back to high points but to stick your nose up at guys who have turned a program from a doormat program of the 350 NCAA teams into a consistent top 100 team (regardless of conference) shows that our fanbase sucks just as much as any other fanbase.

Counterpoint: it just shows that you have very low expectations for an ACC coach's resume.

It is so shortsighted and LOWF to be worried about the fact that Wes Miller went to UNC. Who cares?

He is clearly someone who cares more about winning than about UNC. That's a dumb take.

Equally silly to think that just because Pat Kelsey coached at Wake Forest 11 years ago that he is more qualified to coach.

Clawson is doing fine without any Wake ties.

Back