• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

Little Wes will always try to use Wake to jump to UNC. The dark cloud will hang on our program.

Do not sell out. Just say no to Little Wes.

On Miller being from baby blue nation, the coach that took us to our only Final Four was also a hole.

Little Wes will always try to use Wake to jump to UNC. The dark cloud will hang on our program.

UNC would not attempt to hire Wes away from WF unless he was wildly successful at WF. If that's price to pay for your scenario to happen, willing to take that risk.

It removes the appearance of any nepotism if the search firm comes to the conclusion that a booster's son is the best choice.

I've never had a search firm give a conclusion on who the best person to hire is. They just do the leg work to find qualified/interested candidates to move on to the interview stage. Maybe it's different in coaching searches, but don't think that would be how this works.

Also - think it's fair to say he's earned his interview (and potentially the job) based on his results. Aside from lack of P6 experience as an assistant or HC, he matches what we're looking for.

Good. That means he'll work his ass off here. Do you think Kansas regrets hiring Roy even though he eventually left for UNC? He won 80% of his games, won a shitpile of conference championships, and went to four final fours (including 2 national championship games).

Really don't care about someone's alma mater; I mean, fuck those guys, but I'd still hire someone if they were the best. But I'm just not feeling Wes.

Stop watching flights. Wake is conservative - Hatch likely isn't letting Currie or any other Wake leader fly around during shelter in place. Unless someone has seen him get on a plane, assume he's interviewing via video conferencing. Read any/all of Currie's emails recently and they all reference meetings via 'teleconferencing and video conferencing.' He didn't need to call out the medium for communication, but since we're conservative and cautious, he did.

Fortune 100 companies are interviewing C-Suite candidates right now via zoom.

I 110% agree with Larry Russell, we should not hire no g.d. Tar Heel.

Hell, I have even heard some Wake fans say they have grown tired of seeing the replays of Randolph's crossover on McInnis during timeouts of our TV games. Just think how it will be if we hire Miller and we have to put up with seeing little Wes kissing Ole Roy's baby blue butt during every timeout of Wake games on TV.

Knew Wes's dad back in the day at Wake. Great guy, smart, highly motivated and obviously very loyal to wake forest. From what I understand his son wanted to walk on at Wake but Prosser did not have a spot. I am sure he grew up a big Wake fan for what its worth. He then goes to James Madison for a year and then gets an offer to play in his home state at UNC as a walk on. He ended up being a solid contributor on a talented UNC team. He played great defense, hustled his ass off and made few mistakes aka played smart basketball. I would say he overachieved as a player. Then he has a few stops as an assistant coach after his playing days are over and lands at UNCG as an assistant. Midway thru his first season the head coach either gets fired or resigns. Wes takes over and makes a great second half run and is rewarded with the head coach job. He has built a shitty program into a solid one and will leave UNCG in a much better place. I think his is smart, highly motivated, has alot of energy and would be good fit for Wake. Forbes I am sure would be a good choice as well. But he does have some Wake roots so to speak and obviously wanted to play in the ACC. Not sure it is smart to take a pass because he played a few years at UNC.

Larry Russell just called me. He says "we ain't hiring no god damn Tarheel. And quit talking shit about old people." He says we should just give it to Clawson. LOL

Didn't you tell us yesterday Miller took himself out of consideration? Forgive me if covered ad nauseam today.

To those worried about Wes leaving Wake for UNC, if that scenario happens, it would mean he was very successful at Wake and would leave Wake in a much better position than when he found it. I don't see a downside here. That said, I prefer Matta or Forbes.

Back