• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New Concessions

I took my five year old to see Wake play UNCG in the Greensboro Coliseum this past season. He asked if he could have some candy so we walked around the concessions and couldn't find any for sale. Hopefully Ovations does a better job at the Joel and BB&T.

what about mountain dew?

I can't imagine Catered Affairs is too happy about this. I'm pretty sure they work solely with Wake and are also officed there. Wonder what went down there where they couldn't match what Ovations was bringing in.

Politics is what went down. Randy Casstevens was the major player behind this move, despite the fact that he was once the accountant for Catered Affairs and had been relieved of his duties. Yet, he was allowed to spearhead the bid process in which Catered Affairs was a candidate. And we all know what he did at Krispy Kreme!

Catered Affairs gave 5 years of dedicated, focused, first class service and they were rewarded with a kick to the curb. Wake people focused on serving Wake people replaced by national company with no ties to Wake.

Gotta recoup ticket losses somehow.

Catered Affairs gave 5 years of dedicated, focused, first class service and they were rewarded with a kick to the curb. Wake people focused on serving Wake people replaced by national company with no ties to Wake.

meh. It's business. If Catered Affairs was getting the job done, they wouldn't have looked elsewhere. They should've stepped up their game if they didn't want to get replaced.

meh. It's business. If Catered Affairs was getting the job done, they wouldn't have looked elsewhere. They should've stepped up their game if they didn't want to get replaced.

I think I gave five years waiting on their food in the tower.

Their service was awful at football games in the tower.

Their service was awful at football games in the tower.

Service was fantastic anytime I sat in Deacon Towers. Pretty terrible decision by WF. I would not get your hopes up on Ovations running anything close to what Catered Affairs ran at Deacon Tower.

Service was fantastic anytime I sat in Deacon Towers. Pretty terrible decision by WF. I would not get your hopes up on Ovations running anything close to what Catered Affairs ran at Deacon Tower.

I posted on another thread about this, but we have seats in the tower and on multiple occasions I missed almost half of a quarter waiting on an order or had my food given to another customer etc.

Out of all the terrible decisions made by our athletic department, this is way, way down the list. What did Catered Affairs do that was so great that another company can't even get close to them?

I posted on another thread about this, but we have seats in the tower and on multiple occasions I missed almost half of a quarter waiting on an order or had my food given to another customer etc.

I agree that their service sucked. Anyone else will be just as bad. They're hiring people who are lucky to graduate from high school in Forsyth County NC. They're borderline functionally illiterate and have limited social skills. That's the pool of candidates. Don't expect too much unless you want your burger to cost $15 with mandatory 17% gratuity tacked on. And the bartenders act like they have no clue what they're doing.

I agree that their service sucked. Anyone else will be just as bad. They're hiring people who are lucky to graduate from high school in Forsyth County NC. They're borderline functionally illiterate and have limited social skills. That's the pool of candidates. Don't expect too much unless you want your burger to cost $15 with mandatory 17% gratuity tacked on. And the bartenders act like they have no clue what they're doing.

It's not an act.

That's unfortunate. The 5 or so times i've sat in the towers I had great service. :noidea:

Out of all the terrible decisions made by our athletic department, this is way, way down the list. What did Catered Affairs do that was so great that another company can't even get close to them?

As down as many of you are on your current athletic regime do you actually trust them to do a good job with this? Just looks like a completely financial move to me. The bid was put back out after 5 years and they went with the cheapest option due to the losses they are taking through BBall/Football ticket sales, or that would be my guess.

As down as many of you are on your current athletic regime do you actually trust them to do a good job with this? Just looks like a completely financial move to me. The bid was put back out after 5 years and they went with the cheapest option due to the losses they are taking through BBall/Football ticket sales, or that would be my guess.

Do you understand that this is a single contract for all concessions, including the concession stands in the Joel and all the concession stands in Groves? It's not just the food service upstairs in Deacon Tower. There's no way that Catered Affairs is qualified to do all of that.

Last edited:
Really have no problem with this at all. They're consolidating under one provider to save money. That's pretty much just basic common sense, and they really should be working to save money with ancillary stuff like this regardless. When it was just 7-8 football games they probably weren't going to be able to get much of a scale discount by consolidating with one provider. Now that there's 20 bball games on top of that, well, it makes more sense.

What would really make sense is to do one master contract with the greater university. Now that would carry some negotiating clout.

Do you understand that this is a single contract for all concessions, including the concession stands in the Joel and all the concession stands in Groves? It's not just the food service upstairs in Deacon Tower. There's no way that Catered Affairs is qualified to do all of that.

How does everyone feel about the new food service provider,Ovations, after the first two games? There has been lots of talk about how bad the food and service has been in every area they service in the Tower and Bridger. Claims have been made that both patrons in the President's suite and Moricle felt ill after the first game. Hatch was quoted as saying" Ron Wellman created this monster and Ron wellman better fix it" after food for his suite was two hours late, cold and inedible.

How does everyone feel about the new food service provider,Ovations, after the first two games? There has been lots of talk about how bad the food and service has been in every area they service in the Tower and Bridger. Claims have been made that both patrons in the President's suite and Moricle felt ill after the first game. Hatch was quoted as saying" Ron Wellman created this monster and Ron wellman better fix it" after food for his suite was two hours late, cold and inedible.

I've heard a very similar account from multiple sources.

That is the most encouraging piece of news I have read in 3 years. Not sure if hatch realizes the scope if his diatribe. Wellman certainly DID create this monster and Ron Wellman better fix it.

Well hatch you keep feeding the monster. Time to cut him off and go another direction.

Back