• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

new HDTV questions

fuheel

Reaction score
I'm kind of an idiot when it comes to fancy electronics and was hoping for some good advice.

Wifey and I are in the market for a new HDTV. It would be for the "den," which is our largest room, but gets a decent amount of sun. Will probably get something around 37' to 45' or so.

1. I'm interested in some of the new models have wi-fi capability, but don't how how well they work. I wouldn't want to browse the internet, but would use it for netflix/pandora/hulu/etc. Anyone have any experience regarding whether streaming directly to the TV works well?

2. Any strong opinions on swiveling or arm wall mounts? We probably want to mount it on the wall, but want to be able to swivel it left/right. I'm not sure if it would be cool, or if it would just look cheap.

There are a lot of things that I will post when I have time but a good rule of thumb that I recommend is simply go to a store, find a couple of tvs you think look the best (everyone likes something different), then find the tv online.

-If the room gets a lot of light, you shouldn't go plasma because it gives off a lot of glare, but plasma's still have the best picture quality IMO

-If you watch a lot of sports, you want a high refresh rate. 60Hz is the current minimum. I would suggest >120Hz
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2379206,00.asp

-Store prices for newer models are often the same as online prices, but older models are often much cheaper online.

-Buying at a store gives you the option for a direct store warranty and returns, where online shopping and returns require expensive shipping and wait times.

-LED's are currently the best technology, but unless your TV is a top model, it won't make a huge difference.

Last edited:
-If you're spending less than a grand: Sony Bravia, Panasonic Viera, Sharp Aquos or Samsung are your best bets for quality.

I would not stress the internet capability aspect, as almost all Bluray players have that built in, and it limits your tv options.

-If you're spending less than a grand: Sony Bravia, Panasonic Viera, Sharp Aquos or Samsung are your best bets for quality.

I would not stress the internet capability aspect, as almost all Bluray players have that built in, and it limits your tv options.

I would add that a Roku will add all the streaming functionality mentioned (Netflix, Hulu, Pandora) for less than $100. Like myDeaconmyhand said, don't focus on the connectivity so much as the TV itself.

Since you said there's a lot of light, I'd also go with LCD. It's not worth it to go Plasma for the better picture if you have a glare, plus the Plasma screens are heavier.

depends on if I get something with all the wifi options builtin or whether I go with something more simple. That harder decision for me is whether to:

1. buy nice tv with builtin wifi options (netflix/pandora/etc)
2. buy nice tv with no wifi, and get appletv or roku
3. buy nice tv with no wifi, and get a fancy blueray player (never owned a blueray player, and didn't really consider it before this thread)

I thought I would spend around $800 or so for options #2 or #3, but it looks like it would be closer to $1,000 for option #1.

and depending on if I decide to mount the tv or not, I will have to buy all the hardware and pay for an install (I suck at home repair stuff). Havent done the research, but I'm assuming all that isn't cheap either.

and depending on if I decide to mount the tv or not, I will have to buy all the hardware and pay for an install (I suck at home repair stuff). Havent done the research, but I'm assuming all that isn't cheap either.

The mount isn't cheap, but all you need is a drill, a level, and a stud finder to put it up yourself.

I've got a Samsung LED 'Smart' TV with the built in wifi and Samsung apps. We also have this TV in our living room which receives direct sunlight most of the day, and I've never had a big problem with glare. The wifi/Samsung apps are very convenient as that's one less device we have to cut on, and now that my son has learned how to use the remote, its very easy for him to navigate through Netflix. IMO most of the Samsung apps are meaningless, but you do have access to the standard Netflix, Pandora, Hulu, etc. and a streaming game tracker w/ stats (very helpful during FFL).

We also have an entry level Samsung Blu Ray player that I bought 2 years ago with wifi and its a piece of junk. The wifi worked for about two months and died.

You might want to consider this one. If you can wait a couple months it will likely drop below $1k.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIE...sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334006795&sr=8-1-spell

It's one of the first nearly matte-style plasmas and is reported to perform extremely well in sun-lit rooms. At your price point, if you go LCD you're really going to be taking a noticeable step down in quality compared to this tv, which is up there with the best picture you can possibly buy anywhere.

Otherwise you might want to look for last year's Samsung 6000 line once they release all their new stuff. Maybe their LED's will drop to the $1k mark as well.

I will say that finding anything under 50" these days for a high quality set is nearly impossible. They've just stopped making them. You might actually pay more for a smaller, inferior set in some cases. I'd say go 50" at a minimum.

-If the room gets a lot of light, you shouldn't go plasma because it gives off a lot of glare, but plasma's still have the best picture quality IMO

-LED's are currently the best technology, but unless your TV is a top model, it won't make a huge difference.

Don't these conflict?

I recently bought a plasma (Samsung 59D8000) and love it. I have a moderate amount of light in the room, and it isn't an issue. I'd recommend this set in a heartbeat.

its not the biggest room in the world (13x17) so I though something around 40' would be more appropriate, but you are making me re-think things...

For brands I'd go Samsung (awesome picture and 'smart' TV models have built-in apps) or LG (best apps, good picture). Sony is good too. These are the best three brands per the Best Buy employees I've talked to. Also I was told the refresh rate (get at least 120Hz) is much more important than display (LED vs. LCD) for sports.

Don't these conflict?

I recently bought a plasma (Samsung 59D8000) and love it. I have a moderate amount of light in the room, and it isn't an issue. I'd recommend this set in a heartbeat.

LEDs get rated higher than plasma for energy efficiency and black levels, plus they produce brighter picture. I've never read that the picture on a plasma is better, its just a personal opinion from owning one. I 2nd the Samsung plug as well, every place Ive shopped has recommended them first and mine has held its value for 8 months so far.

Plasmas have better blacks until OLED becomes mainstream. Experts are nearly unanimous in saying plasmas have better pictures. Get an LCD only if you have a really bright room.

Back