• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New Horizons - Closing in on Pluto

Yeah, I get your point, but it looks like a low res picture of a rocky planet. Where is the HD shit?

Yeah, I get your point, but it looks like a low res picture of a rocky planet. Where is the HD shit?

fUTsylD.png

Is there enough light from the sun that far out to produce a true color pic, or is it necessary to enhance them somehow?

whoa. new closeups of Pluto show a lack of impact craters. could be active processes at work?

nh-plutosurface.jpg

What NASA says about this amazing image:

New close-up images of a region near Pluto’s equator reveal a giant surprise: a range of youthful mountains rising as high as 11,000 feet (3,500 meters) above the surface of the icy body.

The mountains likely formed no more than 100 million years ago — mere youngsters relative to the 4.56-billion-year age of the solar system — and may still be in the process of building, says Jeff Moore of New Horizons’ Geology, Geophysics and Imaging Team (GGI). That suggests the close-up region, which covers less than one percent of Pluto’s surface, may still be geologically active today.

Moore and his colleagues base the youthful age estimate on the lack of craters in this scene. Like the rest of Pluto, this region would presumably have been pummeled by space debris for billions of years and would have once been heavily cratered — unless recent activity had given the region a facelift, erasing those pockmarks.

“This is one of the youngest surfaces we’ve ever seen in the solar system,” says Moore.

Image of Charon. They said that canyon in the lower left is 4-6 miles deep.

Also, no craters. I can't wait to see the explanation for the lack of them on both Pluto and Charon.

nh-charon.jpg

When I was a youngster I went to the Astronomy camp at the university of Arizona every summer for a couple weeks. Got to meet James Christy, who discovered Charon, and hear his stories of how he found it. Very cool stuff.

Back