• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NEWS FLASH! BOWL SELECTION SHOW, WAKE IS NOT GOING!

memphisslim

Reaction score
There is nothing funny about that or this year; Campanaro gets hurt during the Duke game, Duke wins, they go to the Belk Bowl because we don't have a backup plan in case Camp got hurt. Camp is still hurt at Md., 6 guys managed to get suspended,we missed two makeable field goals, lose by 5 to Maryland. Why not really punish those 6 guys and not let them go to South Bend and play against Notre Dame? Or no, that might have hurt our chances of winning against the Number One team in the US.

Four straight losing years is not good, brings back all those bad memories of the past from Billy Hillebrand, Chuck Mills to the latest, Jim Caldwell, particularly the 2010 season. Our senior class will graduate as did senior classes from the past: never having had one single winning season, but they did have the Music City Bowl last year.

I looked at a number of the bowl bound teams and we could beat some of them most likely, particularly if Camp caught 12 to 16 passes: East Carolina got another bowl bid, we used to play them. We would have a better chance against them probably than against Notre Dame, and most recently than against Vandy, which we have to play at least 2 or 3 more times. Why not play two military schools, play Navy again, we played them about .500--I will take a 50/50 chance with them over no chance against Notre Dame. And whose bright idea was it to play Notre Dame anyway--Hatch's?--since he came from there?

Someone posted a thread somewhere that Wake could possibly get a bowl at 5-7 because of high APR. Rice was higher, but they earned it with 6 wins. I counted 68 teams--counted them twice--and believe that Pitt had to beat South Florida to bump us. Pitt won, got its sixth win, and Ga Tech got in with its losing record under the UCLA precedent. I know someone in the media wrote that there were 71 teams for 70 bowl slots, but if so, why did Pitt which just won its 6th game Saturday get a bowl?

Even so, we did not play like a bowl team down the stretch, played just like we wanted to find a place to fall down and rest.

And we got all winter to rest.

I thought that chance went away after the 70th team became bowl eligible...

I thought that chance went away after the 70th team became bowl eligible...

I could have miscounted. I counted that with Ga Tech going with a probable 6-7 record, Pitt was the last team that could get a 6-6 record, and would make number 70. I saw no teams left. But I could have miscounted. We should not have been in this position.

Nah, there were more than 70. Any possibility of Wake making it ended the weekend we played Vandy (and not just because we lost to them)

Grobe and Lobo had reservations made for a family Xmas holiday golf outing long before the season began. The injury to the Army starting QB and the inexpicable win vs UnC- ch almost derailed those plans but Lobo was not to be denied.

Back