• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next years Slot WR!!!

Not sure why one would focus on 2013 BG as an indicator for future offensive philosophy when he has had wildly different offenses throughout his career.... from teams with huge passing numbers to teams with huge rushing numbers.

Only his first year at BG is really too much different. Once he has a chance to recruit his kids he wants to have pretty big personnel and run the ball. Off the top of my head they were 65/35 Run Pass on first this year?

I don't think once he gets his kids in there his offensive philosophy is much different. Hard to find play data for FCS but I would bet 2007 Richmond is pretty similar to 2013 Bowling Green etc.

I just mean in general he has tried to recruit the best players possible and then adapt the entire system to that player. He had Brian Finneran at Nova as OC and they passed for 4,000 yards. He got drafted and then they had Brian Westbrook and they went to the WCO and Westbrook had 1,000 yards rushing and 1,000 yards receiving. At Richmond they ran the spread with a mobile QB who passed for 2,000 and ran for 1,000. When he left they became a power running team.

So I doubt if we land a stud WR or QB on the trail we will be an overall power running team. Recruiting obviously is the key.

Last edited:
Yeah, I mean Clawson has already said that he's always adapted to personnel. Sounds like won't play like Stanford if he doesn't have the horses up front. Tanner probably wishes he could get his senior year back...

I agree with this, I think he is going to use his personnel until he gets the personnel for his system. Even if he wants to run a power run game, it doesn't look like those pieces are there. Appears the pieces we do have point to a spread 5 wide sets. All speculation until spring camps.

This news speaks to the aggressiveness of our new staff. Great to hear!

Another bonus to this is it will free up a scholarship for the 2015 recruiting class, which will be Clawson's first true recruiting class at Wake. Hopefully the the 2015 class can build on some of this energy we have and be a very solid class.

This news speaks to the aggressiveness of our new staff. Great to hear!

Pretty much this. It's early, but so far it feels like the new staff is going to earn its success by simply working harder than the previous staff. We talk a lot about the (lack of) football know-how of the previous staff, but simple effort can mask a lot of deficiencies. That's what really grinds my gears about Grobe's recent comments about not getting enough support.

Great Scott!!!! I was sorry we missed on him years ago. but I'm glad we have him for next year. I sat behind the UVa bench for the Va Tech game. The fans of Virginia have had it with London. I think the two 5* recruits coming in have saved his job. He was clueless in the last two minutes of the 1st half and his QBs stink. As far as Clawson's offense, he'll go as far as his OL will take him. And for Armstrong and Reynolds in the backfield, you can't tackle what you can't catch.

Great Scott!!!! I was sorry we missed on him years ago. but I'm glad we have him for next year. I sat behind the UVa bench for the Va Tech game. The fans of Virginia have had it with London. I think the two 5* recruits coming in have saved his job. He was clueless in the last two minutes of the 1st half and his QBs stink. As far as Clawson's offense, he'll go as far as his OL will take him. And for Armstrong and Reynolds in the backfield, you can't tackle what you can't catch.

With regards to this, a friend of mine has had a box the past several seasons for UVA football games, and this season they downgraded to just two seats and only went to two games. Obviously small sample size and anecdotal evidence, but I'm sure there are a lot of stories like this one.

With regards to this, a friend of mine has had a box the past several seasons for UVA football games, and this season they downgraded to just two seats and only went to two games. Obviously small sample size and anecdotal evidence, but I'm sure there are a lot of stories like this one.

So contract extension?

Didn't he just get one last season? Which is a big part of the reason that they can't/won't fire him right now?

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...ias-future-includes-mike-london-as-our-coach/

"As the Post points out, it would be a costly move for Littlepage to jettison London after the 2013 season: nearly $8.1 million for London’s buyout, plus an additional $3.1 million to buy out the coaching staff."

ETA: Details of his extension here: http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/30/mike-london-lands-raise-extension/

His contract was extended two years ago and is through the 2016 season.

Last edited:
Would you trade Bz and Clawson for Bennett and London? You have to play out full contracts.

The Claw is a keeper, Bzz will play out (or out the door) eventually.

Yeah definitely. Clawson can be very successful without running an exciting offense of course. Especially if he raises our recruiting profile. I just don't want people to be disappointed if they show up next season and don't see Baylor-east out there.

A WF offense that scores points in any fashion is exciting to me. :woot:

I love the Clawson hire but I'm not expecting more than three wins next year. The man isn't Jesus Christ. The cupboard is very bare.

Last year was one of the more talented teams I've seen in my life at Wake and we went 4-8. Just ridiculous.

Back