• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NFL MVP and CB POY

timthedeac

Reaction score
Which goes to Manning and which goes to Peterson? Or does one of them sweep?

My guess is that the mvp vote goes to Peterson since the Vikings made the playoffs, and voters will give the comeback POY to Manning as a consolation prize.

Personally I'm pretty ambivalent. Both deserve it and I have a hard time mustering a lot support for one over the other.

Yeah, gotta give the MVP to AD and comeback to Manning. Peterson is definitely the best at his position. Don't see that much separation between Manning and other top QBs.

While AD's recovery from his injury was amazing, it's tough to give Comeback Player of the Year to a guy that only missed 1 game last year, when there are other qualified candidates.

sucks for Thomas Davis when he's super deserving himself, and in any other year would win in a walk

I'm thinking co-MVPs. I just don't see a strong case for Manning over Peterson or vice versa.

Comeback probably goes to Manning given the fact that certain people were talking retirement and he was booted off the only team he'd ever known.

Peterson and Manning are in a dead-tie for MVP... until you think about where Minnesota would be without Peterson. I don't think Denver would be a lock for the playoffs without Manning, but Minnesota would be looking at top draft picks without Peterson. He was a goddamned cyborg this season. I give MVP to Peterson by a hair.

Neck injuries have ended quite a few careers cold in their tracks. Manning was a risk. He hasn't missed a beat. His OL keeping him safe has obviously helped. Comeback of the year.

Peterson should win both, but they'll probably split them. Of the 2, CBPOY should definitely be Peterson. Most folks who have ACL surgeries aren't quite as good as they will be the following season. AP not only came back earlier than most everyone who has had that surgery, but he also had the 2nd greatest rushing total ever. Manning does not come close to comparing for CBPOY. As for MVP, I'd go AP, Rodgers and Manning in that order. With the injuries GB has had on both sides of the ball, and especially at WR, Rodgers has had to do more to carry GB than Manning has Denver.

Peterson played 12 games last year. His return to the game early is something special but not sure he fits the definition better than Manning.

Manning for Comeback
Peterson for MVP

Hard to argue vice versa. Manning took a team to the playoffs that the Jets backup QB took to the playoffs the year before. Peterson had one of the best seasons of all time.

Denver made the playoffs last year with Tim Tebow as their QB. It's not like Peyton was joining a crappy team.

Tell me where else is there talent on the MIN team. They are 31st in passing yards, 24th in Pass D, and 11th in Run D, though 2nd in rushing yards of any team. And 80% of those rushing yards are by Adrian Peterson.

If AP had the same amount of rushing yards as Alfred Morris (484 yards less), MIN becomes the 8th best rushing team. That's how much better he was than anyone else.

A team that is 8th in rushing, 31st in passing, 24th in Pass D and 11th in Run D does not make the playoffs. Plain and simple. Peyton had a great season but he was 6th in passing yards, 3rd in TDs, and 4th in INTs (among full year starters).

AP should win.

Yeah, Denver made the playoffs last year, but they were 8-8. They are 13-3 this year. Everybody on this thread so far has said AD is the MVP.
He carried the Vikings once Harvin went down.

People, myself included, are making the case for Manning over Peterson as CBPOY though.
Manning is 36; Peterson is 27
Despite being a God in Indy, Manning was dumped by the Colts for a rookie QB.
Peterson had 1100+ yards and 13 TDs in 2011: Manning didn't play all year and watched his team go from 11-5 to 2-14. (tiebreaker goes to the guy that comes back from missed playing time. AD got hurt in Week 16 last year.)
Some people thought Manning's career was done. People didn't think that about AD.

I think Peterson's recovery was more impressive, but I base the award on the adversity you have overcome. Think Manning tops AD in that area, and therefore should get CBPOY.

Peterson played 12 games last year. His return to the game early is something special but not sure he fits the definition better than Manning.

On 12/30/2011 he underwent ACL surgery, on 12/30/2012 he came within 10 yards of having the greatest season in the history of the league (for a RB).*

*I still firmly believe he roided up, because sports have made me jaded.

AP should get MVP -- three QBs should split the vote, and I would put Peyton behind Rodgers anyway. I'm biased, but Rodgers has a better passer rating than Manning (fuck QBR, that's a load of shit), threw for more TDs and fewer INTs than Manning, and has played without his two best receivers for most of the year and without any running game to speak of and a shit offensive line.

Last edited:
(fuck QBR, that's a load of shit)

Agreed. Not a big fan of using total yards to measure the effectiveness of a team's offense or defense either. Examples:
--Atlanta: 24th in yards allowed and 5th in points allowed
--NE: 25th in yards allowed and T9th in points allowed
--NYG are 31st in yards allowed and T12th in points allowed
--NYJ are 8th in yards allowed and 20th in points allowed

Back