• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NHL Thread

How we do under another coach would certainly be fascinating.

We may find out...
The only way we will find out is by a lowball offer and Rod goes elsewhere. Canes are not moving on by their own decision. And then we will end up with bill Peters again

The only way we will find out is by a lowball offer and Rod goes elsewhere. Canes are not moving on by their own decision. And then we will end up with bill Peters again
If we were so in to him he'd have a contact already. If we don't win this series I predict we won't bring him back.

I trust the current front office to find a good coach, but obviously no guarantees -- the floor has always been really high under Rod. Is the ceiling low more because of him or the players? Changing the coach would be one way to find out

disagree on the front office bringing in a good coach. remember the backlash when they hired waddell and rod? it was not good. i think they lucked out that rod is a top 3 coach and he has no desire whatsoever to coach anywhere but raleigh.

Off season will be interesting. This team as currently constructed is not Cup winning quality, and there are some key free agents - Pesce, Skjei, Tuevo, Jarvis, Necas, Drury, Guentzel. And Rod. You need to keep Jarvis. Not sure about anyone else, although I question finding a better coach. Hard to say Rod’s playoffs forward line changes have worked.

How in God’s name were the Canes the favorite to win the Cup when the playoffs started? Honest question.

Rod is a great coach but damn how many times we gonna get swept
His offensive system is very effective in the regular season, but not very effective in the post season against evenly matched teams. We need to create more high danger shots because elite playoff goalies don’t allow the cheap rebound garbage goals that our system relies on.

I think the Canes have two problems, and neither of them starts with Rod.

First, we need a franchise goalie. Harder said than done, I know. We've made the playoffs (and won at least 1 series) 6 straight years. That's quite an accomplishment, but there's no doubt that we're at a disadvantage in net most series, especially after the first round. It would be so cool to win a game 2-1 against a team like NYR where our goalie stands on his head and carries the team.

Second, we just have too many guys who are incapable of generating offense in the playoffs against good defenses. I'd like to bring Necas, Guentzel, and Jarvis back, but that's about it. Give me some younger players with lower contracts and a FA or two with legitimate offense.

His offensive system is very effective in the regular season, but not very effective in the post season against evenly matched teams. We need to create more high danger shots because elite playoff goalies don’t allow the cheap rebound garbage goals that our system relies on.
Agree with this wholeheartedly, though this is more an organizational philosophy than just Rod. I think the front office believes another coach would be a little more innovative, though I doubt they'll shell out big for anybody.

Also there seems to be an issue with small-market, heavily analytically driven teams getting over the hump and winning it all.

Granted, our payroll isn't exactly what you'd expect from a small-market team

Back