• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NHL Thread

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG!

I totally thought it was over....that tying goal and then Marty's GWG....omg....I think I woke the neighbors!

AND NOESEN WITH THE THROWDOWN!!!!!!!

Roddy with the amazing decision to call that Timeout and pull Andersen.

I've seen a lot of games, but that was just an unreal game....mind bogglingly awesome. That crowd. I would've KILLED to be in that arena tonight!

Patty Roy is stuck in the '90s, sitting on a lead like that don't work in today's NHL fella. RELENTLESS !

Why didn't they do a Storm Surge? Are they saving it for series' winners?

Pesce looks like he's got a serious knee/leg injury.....not good :(

It might turn out that Tony D is going to be a fruitful signing after all.....just gonna take all season for it to manifest. That said, I'd much rather us go with Pesce...I hate seeing us automatically give PP1 over to Tony rather than Burnsy.

Also, I didn't pay attention to the lines on Saturday, but did Rod start Guentzel/Aho/Svech? Or did he go with Guentzel/Aho/Jarvis...the line that was ON FIRE at the end of the season?

Really irked me that he switched it up for tonight....IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT.....then again.....5-3 lol

Guentzel is taking to Aho like he did with Sid the Kid. I hope to god he stays with us after this season. I think that should be one of the top priorities. He's proven he is a literal game changer. We need that. Imagine if we had him all year....we'd probably have broken Boston's points record from last season!

They don't typically do the storm surge in the playoffs. Probably not after series winners either, since they do the handshake line.

Oh yea, forgot about the handshake line. And I didn't know that about the Playoffs....seems like it would be especially enjoyable after games like tonight. But good to know.

Patty Roy is stuck in the '90s, sitting on a lead like that don't work in today's NHL fella. RELENTLESS !
Did they even record a shot on goal in the 3rd period? I swear they were at either 11 or 12 shots after 2 periods, and ended up with 12.

Oh yea, forgot about the handshake line. And I didn't know that about the Playoffs....seems like it would be especially enjoyable after games like tonight. But good to know.
They actually often do them after series wins.

The idea is that one game doesn’t justify the celebration and it’s all business in the playoffs.

Did they even record a shot on goal in the 3rd period? I swear they were at either 11 or 12 shots after 2 periods, and ended up with 12.
1 SOG in the 3rd period. Isles were 81-0 with a 3-goal lead in the playoffs. Now they're not.

From the ESPN.com write-up:

"Indeed, the Islanders had more misconduct penalties in the final 56 seconds (six) than shots on goal in the entire third period (one)."

It also had this great description of Martinook's GWG:

"Aho struck first by redirecting Andrei Svechnikov's shot at the right post behind Semyon Varlamov with 2:15 remaining to tie the game at 3. After an Islanders giveaway on the ensuing faceoff, Martinook raced down to beat Noah Dobson to the puck along the boards and then pushed it toward the same post with a wraparound attempt from behind the net.

The puck banged off Varlamov's left skate and slipped into the net for the 4-3 lead with 2:06 to go, sending the Hurricanes players mobbing a jumping Martinook amid a roof-blowing roar from a shocked home crowd."

LOVE IT!

What a great game in Raleigh and a fantastic atmosphere.

If you replay that game 100 times, the Canes win the vast majority of them with very little drama (the shooting statistics were insanely tilted). I don't think you could replicate that electricity, though.

Send my regards to Guentzel for hitting the empty net a little too enthusiastically :ROFLMAO:

Back