• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Nothing about the UK Elections?

SkinsNDeacs

Reaction score
Looks like the Conservatives are going to defy the polls and win a fairly decisive majority. This will probably add to American right's distrust of polls.

[David Cameron has] The face of a man who fast-forwards through the servant parts of Downton Abbey.

i've paid as much attention to the uk elections as i have to obama's weight

Thatcher won again right?

Looks like the Conservatives are going to defy the polls and win a fairly decisive majority. This will probably add to American right's distrust of polls.

Yeah. That and the Israel elections.

I have been following just because I'm an avid reader of The Economist. It's definitely good news (IMO) that the Conservatives won. If they had to get into an alliance with UKIP to govern it would be bad news for the EU and give legitimacy to the UKIP which is a xenophopic organization with some scary far-right members. A governing alliance including UKIP would make it more likely that Britain leaves the EU when they hold their in-or-out referendum which I think Cameron promised for next year or 2017. If Labour had to assemble a coalition with the Scottish Nationalists there would probably be another Scottish independence referendum. I think America's interests are best served by Scotland staying in the UK and the UK staying in the EU, so this was probably the best result for America.

Tea Party will interpret this as validation, just like Israel. Bibi had 2 hours left to form a government with the bare minimum 161 seats for a majority. The Tory campaign was run by Jim Messina, who ran Obama's campaign. It's not like Herman Cain's smoking guy ran the campaign or that Messina will run Cruz's campaign.

I have been following just because I'm an avid reader of The Economist. It's definitely good news (IMO) that the Conservatives won. If they had to get into an alliance with UKIP to govern it would be bad news for the EU and give legitimacy to the UKIP which is a xenophopic organization with some scary far-right members. A governing alliance including UKIP would make it more likely that Britain leaves the EU when they hold their in-or-out referendum which I think Cameron promised for next year or 2017. If Labour had to assemble a coalition with the Scottish Nationalists there would probably be another Scottish independence referendum. I think America's interests are best served by Scotland staying in the UK and the UK staying in the EU, so this was probably the best result for America.

The death of Labour in Scotland and the rise of the SNP pretty much guarantees there's going to be intense pressure to get another Scottish referendum (and definitely "devolution").

The UK as we know is probably pretty much over. England and Scotland are going to continue to drift apart.

2625232835.jpg

Yep. I hope the Brits stay in the EU because their influence in moderating Brussells is much needed.

And the SNP is strongly anti defense spending and wants to end the UK nuclear program. That would put even more burden on US taxpayers to police the world.

UKIP won one seat. They're definitely a party on the rise pending the outcome of what seems likely to be a Euro referendum in 2017, but it sounds like you're whole reasoning for why a Conservative outright win is good is UKIP related, and they were never a threat to have any significant say at Westminster.

If anything, the Conservatives had to put forth the idea of holding a referendum to win over UKIP voters, and now they're in office and that referendum likely will go forward, meaning the UK could leave the EU

I also think the SNP being in power would've increased the likelihood Scotland stays as part of the UK. Now they're not in power which will only exacerbate sentiment that Westminster doesn't represent their interests. They don't need power in the UK to have a referendum, just power in Scotland (why there just was one).

I do think the Conservs will make some concessions to them though. They pretty much have to at this point to keep the UK alive in its current form.

Also re: polling -- the US is a completely different animal than the UK. Seems voter behavior is way more predictable here, which makes sense in a two-party system

Last edited:
So how did the SNP pull a near sweep yet a majority of Scots didn't vote for independence?

Were those who voted against independence disappointed with the response from the rest of the UK?

They want Scotland to have a voice but there is certainly an advantage to staying a part of the United Kingdom.

Back