• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Nothing But Pain (Wake Bball article)

For the record, I'm not in favor of a transparent search or any of the consulting firm BS like we've seen in recent years at State and UNC.

But if you look at the speed with which the hire was made, and the information we had from insiders at the time, the story was that Bz was the only target. All of the supposed rejections were never on the radar until the athletic department backtracked into full-on spin mode.

Furthermore, all of the information we've gotten about Wellman's Final Four trip is that he was setting things in motion and gauging interest from potential replacements. I don't think Dino was fired without Wellman feeling confident, based on the feelers he sent out, that he could get a guy who was high on his list. This leaves two possible conclusions: either (1) Wellman did not get the quick and resolute rejections you're suggesting, or (2) Bz was a lot higher up on the list than you are suggesting.

Bob Knight won over 20 games and took Texas Tech to the NCAA tournament his 1st year there.....and that team was coming off a 3-13 conference record and only had 4 returning players. Not 4 returning starters.....4 total returning players. And he was hired after the recruiting season had ended, so he had to fill in the 1st year with 2 or 3 JUCO transfers.

(I followed that team very closely, and I don't remember any bruised & battered players, either.)

lol oh bobknight being bobnight

For the record, I'm not in favor of a transparent search or any of the consulting firm BS like we've seen in recent years at State and UNC.

But if you look at the speed with which the hire was made, and the information we had from insiders at the time, the story was that Bz was the only target. All of the supposed rejections were never on the radar until the athletic department backtracked into full-on spin mode.

Furthermore, all of the information we've gotten about Wellman's Final Four trip is that he was setting things in motion and gauging interest from potential replacements. I don't think Dino was fired without Wellman feeling confident, based on the feelers he sent out, that he could get a guy who was high on his list. This leaves two possible conclusions: either (1) Wellman did not get the quick and resolute rejections you're suggesting, or (2) Bz was a lot higher up on the list than you are suggesting.

I do not have info on the timing or longevity of offers or discussions Wellman had with other coaches. I do know that there were multiple coaches that were contacted. Many other posters have said the same, but the anti-Wellman storyline ignores them and focuses on what was made known to the public.

According to only those public sources, it's safe to say Wellman hand-picked [Redacted] as our one and only target, he got his man, never thought for a second that he might not be the perfect coach for Wake Forest, and has 100% confidence in him and the direction of our program.

Also, I am a prince from Nigeria with US $10,000,000.00 in cash I need to put in an American bank account for a year. If you give me all your bank info I'll let you keep the interest. Just post it on Twitter. Thanks.

Also, I am a prince from Nigeria with US $10,000,000.00 in cash I need to put in an American bank account for a year. If you give me all your bank info I'll let you keep the interest. Just post it on Twitter. Thanks.

What's your Twitter account? :)

I do not have info on the timing or longevity of offers or discussions Wellman had with other coaches. I do know that there were multiple coaches that were contacted. Many other posters have said the same, but the anti-Wellman storyline ignores them and focuses on what was made known to the public.

According to only those public sources, it's safe to say Wellman hand-picked [Redacted] as our one and only target, he got his man, never thought for a second that he might not be the perfect coach for Wake Forest, and has 100% confidence in him and the direction of our program.

DCDeac = Steve Shutt? ;)

Bob Knight won over 20 games and took Texas Tech to the NCAA tournament his 1st year there.....and that team was coming off a 3-13 conference record and only had 4 returning players. Not 4 returning starters.....4 total returning players. And he was hired after the recruiting season had ended, so he had to fill in the 1st year with 2 or 3 JUCO transfers.

(I followed that team very closely, and I don't remember any bruised & battered players, either.)

I would abandon Wake Forest for THREE decades if we hired Bobby Knight.

Yeah, you wouldn't want a guy at WF who wins without breaking the rules, while his players stay out of trouble, go to class & graduate. Might ruin our new reputation. I recommend Jerry Tarkanian, if you can lure him out of retirement....someone more in tune with the current culture here.

(And drop the "by", please. It's Bob Knight, not Bobby Knight.)

Are you going to grab me by the arm and publicly berate me if I don't, like Bobby did to Kent Harvey?

Oh but of course. Bobby being fired 2 days later was PURE happenstance.

I'm not going to lie, more than once I've looked back upon everything that has happened to us from 2007 on and thought we must be cursed.

It didn't start in 2007. We've been cursed my entire lifetime.

Say what you want about Bob Knight, or Bobknightfan, But Bob Knight would do wonders for this program

First, if anybody deserves to be infantilized on message boards until the end of days, then it's Bobby Knight.

Second, Ronald Ross turning into a player was dumb luck for Tech that year. Knight has lost it and he left that team in arguably worse shape than Wake is in this year. Overrated coach who DID his fair share of cheating, too. All elites do it from K to Thad, Calhoun to Cal.

And I'm standing by my prediction of a 15-win season.

Back