• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Now that the Season is Over - From a Long-Time Supporter

I never questioned whether it was possible to have a short list...only how the hell a guy like Bzz ended up on it.

Initially, I didn't want to believe that RW made a crony hire. However, given Buzz's qualifications and epic incompetence there can be no doubt but that the main qualification in his favor was his friendship with Ron Wellman. We can only hope that Ron's arrogance has prevented him from forming many friendships in his life.

How does he not have any friends who would be better coaches than Bz?

How does he not have any friends who would be better coaches than Bz?

I agree that Guitar Deac's post is likely the most accurate. I don't buy the crony theory, but do think that Wellman honestly believed he was getting a superb X's and O's coach who could build the program with high character gym rats in the Butler mode. While we can debate whether Buzz is a decent technical coach or not with better talent, what Wellman really missed , and he knows it now, is Buzz's inability to highly motivate the players , and relate well to the fan base.

Wellman is a smart guy--as Guitar Deac said he knows he made a mistake, but his hands are tied to address the shortcomings publicly.

what Wellman really missed , and he knows it now, is Buzz's inability to highly motivate the players , and relate well to the fan base.

Wellman also missed the fact that we were going to be very low on talented players and that [Redacted] would be expected not just to take control of a well-oiled machine, but to build a car from scratch. [Redacted] is clearly the wrong guy for that kind of job.

Some good recent posts on this thread. I agree that Wellman has to know he fucked up, but he can't fall on his sword quite yet. I think we all get that and know he can't come right out and say it, but the problem is that he keeps going overboard with his AD speak.

The ironic thing is that as head coach [Redacted] (1) recruited more early entrants than Dino (0)

The result was that very soon after he made the hire Wellman knew he had made a mistake. Ron Wellman is highly intelligent. Like anyone, he can and did make a mistake and he knew it and believe me he knows it now. Believe that.

And why should we believe that? Does Ron Wellman confide in you? If what you're saying is true, then Ron Wellman is absolutely lying when he says publicly he could not be happier w/ the state of the program. That goes beyond spin, that is flat out lying. So you're effectively calling RW a liar, not a smart man who made a mistake and knows it.

Wellman also missed the fact that we were going to be very low on talented players and that [Redacted] would be expected not just to take control of a well-oiled machine, but to build a car from scratch. [Redacted] is clearly the wrong guy for that kind of job.

Some good recent posts on this thread. I agree that Wellman has to know he fucked up, but he can't fall on his sword quite yet. I think we all get that and know he can't come right out and say it, but the problem is that he keeps going overboard with his AD speak.

I don't 100% disagree with this, but I think it's a little unfair to CJ and Travis to say [Redacted] had to build from scratch. JTT had great potential as well, even though he couldn't get his personal shit together.

And why should we believe that? Does Ron Wellman confide in you? If what you're saying is true, then Ron Wellman is absolutely lying when he says publicly he could not be happier w/ the state of the program. That goes beyond spin, that is flat out lying. So you're effectively calling RW a liar, not a smart man who made a mistake and knows it.

Of course he's lying. Of course he could be happier. Culture or not, he was a hell of a lot happier with our basketball program in January 2009 than he is now.

If Wellman isn't pleased with Bz, he needs to do a much better job with his spin or just go ahead and fire Bz

My observation is that the main culture change over the past two years has been to show many of us that there is life other than Wake Forest basketball during the winter months.

This is one of my favorite quotes to describe this hoops disaster. Well done, Deke 73.

When March comes, it is a reminder about what is truly important about college hoops. The regular season win total matters very little. The entire deal is whether you qualify for the Tournament and whether you're a factor when you get there. If you're not playing in the semis of your conference tournament or past the first round of the NCAAs, you are nothing.

Yes, this Wake team will likely improve to some extent and could win 20 games in 2013-14. However, winning 20 regular season games won't mean much. The reason for the Gaudio change (which I agree with) is that we need to be a factor in March. Our program hasn't been a legitimate factor in March in 15 years. I'd rather sneak in the Tournament and make the Sweet 16 than win 25 games in the regular season and go home early. We've done that too many times, and that's one reason our program is the joke it is today.

We had a pretty good foundation in place for the coach when Dino was fired.

Ari, Tony, CJ and a borderline top 10 recruiting class.

If you sneak into the tournament the odds you get to the sweet 16 is about zip. Regular season wins do matter. Doesn't mean you always get it done in the post-season but you're in a stronger position to do it.

That's a fair point, although I was speaking in hypotheticals. For Wake, we haven't been able to make Sweet 16 at any seed, so I'm not really concerned about seed probabilities. And seeding is largely overrated outside of the top 2 seeds anyway. We'll be reminded of that seed value next week.

It's all about whether you're invited to the Dance and whether you've got some pop when you get there. Jim Boeheim (who I can't stand) said it right last night - in college hoops it's all about what you do in the NCAA Tournament. Nothing else really matters.

Last edited:
Easy for Boeheim to say... he's 30-2... lol. But your point is taken. Your legecy as a head coach is defined by the post-season.

Wtf? Lol.

For whatever reason, publicly backing or expressing confidence in someone even though you don't actually feel that way is acceptable to even the most ethical. You're saying nice things and doing what's best for the program that particular day. As I said, he's smart and for Gods sake of course he knows he made a mistake hiring Buzz. He's certainly smart enough to avoid standing up before the fanbase midseason and telling them that Buzz is doing a bad job and the future sucks with him.

It's absolutely absurd to think that a grown man could watch our program closely the last couple years and think there's even the slightest of chances that Buzz will work out.

Wtf? Lol.

For whatever reason, publicly backing or expressing confidence in someone even though you don't actually feel that way is acceptable to even the most ethical. You're saying nice things and doing what's best for the program that particular day. As I said, he's smart and for Gods sake of course he knows he made a mistake hiring Buzz. He's certainly smart enough to avoid standing up before the fanbase midseason and telling them that Buzz is doing a bad job and the future sucks with him.

It's absolutely absurd to think that a grown man could watch our program closely the last couple years and think there's even the slightest of chances that Buzz will work out.

Oh, there's a slight chance [Redacted] will work out, to a certain point. Basketball insiders (Street & Smith, off the top of my head) have been lauding this guy for years, going back to when he was hired by Air Force. They certainly weren't paid to do so. Alas, I only think [Redacted] will get us so far, once his program's "built." Mid-pack of the ACC, top third, something like that on a consistent basis. I will be stunned if he turns us into a consistently-elite program. PLEASANTLY stunned ... :)

Wtf? Lol.

It appears that we have some examples of this "absolute absurdity" posting on this board.

Back