• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

(NWT) Need advice on good bar for Bears watching in Chicago

WakeandBake

Reaction score
new to Chicagoland area. Have some friends coming into town this weekend need advice on a good bar/restaurant for game. thanks in advance

I live in Geneva but I will be in the city with friends this weekend. They are staying right down around Millennium Park but any neighborhood is fine.

Cool. I'll preface by saying I'm sure there's others who are more qualified to give a good rec but for what it's worth, for sports bars near them I'd recommend Rockit or Timmy O'Toole's...I've heard good things about Cactus Bar and Grill but never been.

Without a doubt, Crossing tavern on Southport. Always lots of bears fans and good nfl set up.
Also, the talent level is quite good, even during nfl game watching. Also is one if the main Kansas bars in Chicago - good to watch college hoops.

Cool. I'll preface by saying I'm sure there's others who are more qualified to give a good rec but for what it's worth, for sports bars near them I'd recommend Rockit or Timmy O'Toole's...I've heard good things about Cactus Bar and Grill but never been.

For something near Millenium Park, Timmy OTooles is going to be way better than Rockit. For pure sports watching, there aren't many bars better than OTooles downtown.

Just my opinion though. Full disclosure: I used to live near OTooles.

Last edited:
The game'll be on just about everywhere (unless you pick a Packers bar), so I recommend picking a place where you can get good food and check out the local beer scene. I'd try and catch the game at Haymarket Pub (Randolph & Halsted), Revolution (Milwaukee & Cali), or Half Acre (Lincoln & Cullom).

I am biased towards good beer bars - so Jak's or Beer Bistro are decent options - probably 20 minutes-ish walking. Great beer lists, with good bar food and a bunch of TVs. The breweries w84it mentioned are good too.

O'Tooles is pretty solid and closer by. Cactus is an ok option too.

I live in Geneva but I will be in the city with friends this weekend. They are staying right down around Millennium Park but any neighborhood is fine.

Not to ask the obvious but if you're in town... why not just go to the game??

didn't want to lay down that much bread, just wanted to have lunch with the kids and our friends at a bar/restaurant and watch some games etc

Did not realize you swung that way, NTTIAWWT

Gay_Bear_Mechanic.jpg

Texas lives in Chi-Town

I am sure he can help you out

Seriously, Bears ticket prices are absurd - get in price is $145 on Stubhub.

I watched games this past weekend at Sweetwater, a few blocks from Millennium Square, and was impressed with the scenery

Have to admit when I lived in Chicago, I rarely missed a game- but then again, I was single and going with a group of buddies. Still, the price of a game at Soldier Field is more than worth it. At least it is when the Bears play worth a damn which has happened only a few times in the last few years.

My brother is in his third year of season tickets and he's never attended a regular season game - having Bears season tickets is a license to print money.

ETA: This is what happens when you combine the smallest stadium in the NFL with the second largest NFL market in a football-crazed town.

My brother is in his third year of season tickets and he's never attended a regular season game - having Bears season tickets is a license to print money.

ETA: This is what happens when you combine the smallest stadium in the NFL with the second largest NFL market in a football-crazed town.

Yup, this is right on. Been to Soldier Field a couple times for non-football events, and was shocked at just how small it is inside the stadium.

i have not seen any bears when i have visited chicago. i hope that you have much better luck. do not try to get to close to the bear, because they might have their cubs nearby. when their cubs are nearby, they will attack...oh how they will attack.

i have not seen any bears when i have visited chicago. i hope that you have much better luck. do not try to get to close to the bear, because they might have their cubs nearby. when their cubs are nearby, they will attack...oh how they will attack.

Cell Block - 3702 N. Halsted

Back