• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official '16-17 NBA Thread: not with a bang but a whimper

like i wanna know how hinkie salvages the 3 center situation that you're sure of he would have, like one possibility... it sounds like trumps secret plan to defeat ISIS

it might be split, but the enthusiasm is not balanced for each side.

the process fans on here are super sensitive and the thread devolves into a super long hinkie suck fest every time a noted NBA troll and bad take haver says something dumb about it.

i expect the next few years of the nba thread to look like:

colangelo makes a great pick with a process draft pick, thanks hinkie!

colangelo misses on a draft pick (which hinkie was guilty himself of mind you), you blew it colangelo!

it's likely 100% my fault

there's not really a need to discuss one of the worst teams in the NBA so extensively, they just happen to be a team making a ton of moves

i try to be even handed, but i'm also just a sports fan

i think hinkie will ultimately be vindicated, but it doesn't make him above criticism for creating a logjam and drafting injured guys

okafor doesn't fall on his shoulders though--that was ownership's fault

like i wanna know how hinkie salvages the 3 center situation that you're sure of he would have, like one possibility... it sounds like trumps secret plan to defeat ISIS

zippy chance there were 3 centers heading into this season

worthless speculation again, but i think both noel and okafor are moved before the season starts or early in the season if hinkie is still in charge

the league didn't want that though, they wanted a sign the sixers were trying to compete by 2017-18

i mean that's fine speculation based on nothing, embiid hadn't even played an nba minute yet.

and i love that the cult even has a report that despite ownership letting tank harder than any franchise before in history... he was forced to take okafor? that sounds dubious. "yeah, you can go to depths of pudtrid-ity never seen before and garner intense criticism, but with this super valuable draft pick you have to draft this slow-footed one dimensional big man"

i mean that's fine speculation based on nothing, embiid hadn't even played an nba minute yet.

and i love that the cult even has a report that despite ownership letting tank harder than any franchise before in history... he was forced to take okafor? that sounds dubious. "yeah, you can go to depths of pudtrid-ity never seen before and garner intense criticism, but with this super valuable draft pick you have to draft this slow-footed one dimensional big man"

it's not some conspiracy theory; ownership copped to it

hinkie wanted porzingod, ownership pressured him into taking okafor

i mean it could be true, that article is not definitive though. i remain dubious based on context. process wasn't even at it's peak revulsion yet, that was coming in the upcoming season. then this report is issued after the fact of okafor looking like trash and porzingod's sick nba debut... possible by a hinkie cult member in the FO

I don’t know if Berman’s report is true — Okafor, after all, was a very highly-rated prospect in his own right — but ownership stepping in front of the general manager almost never works out. When the front office is tasked with scouting players all over the world, they should be the ones making draft decisions.

Hinkie liked Porzingis, ownership didn't.

The bigger story, if you dislike Hinkie, is that Porzingis's agent steered him away from the Sixers. Also both Zingis and Oak's people reportedly hated Hinkie.

That's one lucid criticism of Hinkie, he was really hard to work with, and lots of people hated him.

i don't have a problem with hinkie, just the treatment of him as some genius martyr. he did a great job acquiring draft picks with leverage in every deal about not having to worry about the product on the court in the slightest. he did not seem to have an edge in drafting or talent eval IMO.

i don't have a problem with hinkie, just the treatment of him as some genius martyr. he did a great job acquiring draft picks with leverage in every deal about not having to worry about the product on the court in the slightest. he did not seem to have an edge in drafting or talent eval IMO.

i think your criticisms are all fair, for what it's worth, but i think you're being overly sensitive to the people who liked his process

it's not like he invented the concept of stockpiling assets, he just took it to the extreme

well yeah, but sometimes it seemed like processors like to pretend he invented it. like his manifesto after he got canned made it seem like he had this epiphany about tanking. teams been tanking forever. more than anything, he had the green light from ownership to take it to the extreme he did than others did not. and he was very good at making deals for draft picks.

it was like "i've seen this market inefficiency and i couldn't defend myself to the media or else the secret would get out, but here it is: if you suck you get a really good pick and the best chance at a star"

oh so that's what you were doing dude, my bad

I love how the Pelicans win this trade, then have the 2 super bigs, backed up by Ajinca and Asik (decent bigs) but...

If Jrue Holiday is not playing well - they get blown out by the Rockets.

Now, let's go sign Jarrett Jack.

Ooops.

The Pels remind me of LSU circa 1991: Chris Jackson (Jrue); Shaquille O'Neal (Cousins) and Anthony Davis (Stanley Roberts). Ok, Shaq and Roberts are LARGE, but you get the idea. Did not work.

Sucking at the shooting guard and small forward badly with Hollis-Thompson and E'Twaun Moore and other bad players - NOT gonna win unless they somehow find a SF or SG - Matt Barnes still out there?

i'm kind of confused as to what the 76ers were supposed to do? the trade market for big men is objectively awful, wait to lose nerlens in RFA or match a big contract and keep him unhappy as a back-up as the best case scenario?

is there no acknowledgment he inherited 3 pure centers who can't play together and the market for centers is trash?

i'm sure at this point offers for okafor were along the lines of a dinner at mendy's

If the market is this depressed for bigs, they should have waited and gauged Nerlens market this summer. They also have the leverage to get value in the summer in sign/trade (aka agreeing to not match).

The optimal plan should have been to dump Okafor for whatever was out there, and just wait til the summer on Nerlens. Nerlens is really good.

they're not going to get more in a sign and trade than what they just got. and i think matching him for anything close to his fair market value is dumb because he doesn't even want to be a back-up center.

you can argue the colangelos fucked up by not taking some pennies to get rid of the completely useless okafor.

best case scenario for sixers with oak now is oak + a pick for a better pick on draft day, i think

they're not going to get more in a sign and trade than what they just got. and i think matching him for anything close to his fair market value is dumb because he doesn't even want to be a back-up center.

you can argue the colangelos fucked up by not taking some pennies to get rid of the completely useless okafor.

It doesn't really matter what Noel wants. He has supposedly been unhappy about his role this year and he's been playing really well. Dump Okafor and Noel could easily get 2k minutes even with Embiid.

Back