• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2013 NBA Draft Thread - That was great.

I think there's probably a couple of guys in the draft who will make an all-star game or two, but I have no idea who they might be. I don't personally like Zeller that much and would prefer Bennett, but I think it's hard to get too upset with any pick. If we can trade and get a pick for next year's draft I'd be the happiest.

ETA: Obviously having MKG and Bennett may be redundant.

Chris Bosh is a terrific defender, something Zeller is never going to be. And you really think Zeller is going to put up 24/10 and single handedly carry a team on his back to a division title?

If you think he's going to be 75% of Chris Bosh, you take him #1 and run to the bank laughing. This draft fucking sucks.

Bosh is a "terrific" defender? I won't go that far. But you're right that I don't see Zeller as a 24/10 guy. I see him as a 17/8 guy. Which is just fine with the 4th pick in this draft, IMO.

Chris Bosh is a terrific defender, something Zeller is never going to be. And you really think Zeller is going to put up 24/10 and single handedly carry a team on his back to a division title?

If you think he's going to be 75% of Chris Bosh, you take him #1 and run to the bank laughing. This draft fucking sucks.

Chris Bosh became a good defender. He was an above average defender in Toronto, at best. Zeller can, at the very least, be that caliber defender if he puts his mind to it, especially given the fact that Zeller might be a better athlete at the same age.

The main difference between the two is the fact that Bosh has a 7'4 wingspan and Zeller's is at 6'11.

Outside of that, you're right. Zeller is not going to be the type of player on offense as Bosh. Nobody is expecting him to. That said, he's got the tools to be a really good stretch four if he can continue to work on his jumper.

Bosh is a "terrific" defender? I won't go that far. But you're right that I don't see Zeller as a 24/10 guy. I see him as a 17/8 guy. Which is just fine with the 4th pick in this draft, IMO.

Agree with all of this.

I think there's probably a couple of guys in the draft who will make an all-star game or two, but I have no idea who they might be. I don't personally like Zeller that much and would prefer Bennett, but I think it's hard to get too upset with any pick. If we can trade and get a pick for next year's draft I'd be the happiest.

I think MKG can play well with Bennett. Rigid positional definitions are growing meaningless in the modern NBA. What they do well would work together on both ends of the court, IMO.

McCollum is my guy for some reason. I think he takes ROTY. Rubio, McCollum, AK47, Love, Pokovic is my team next year behind the Wiz!

My GUY this draft is Nate Wolters. Whatever the other limitations in his game, big guards who can handle the ball and shoot always seem to stick in a rotation.

You think Zeller will improve enough to maintain his college stats against NBA competition? 17/8 is a big stretch

ETA: Number of NBA players who averaged at least 17 pts and 8 reb this year: 11

Last edited:
I just don't see it with him. To me at best he is a poor, poor man's Vlade Divac without the constant warzone facial hair. I'm not sure he is any better than Mullens or half a dozen other guys they could pick up for minimal money. Though I really should love him, considering I apparently hate black people.

That is the story of this draft.

I don't think anyone has any clue who the stars might be in this class. I just honestly don't see any. Statistically, there will be at least a couple. I think this draft is going to all about right place at the right time for guys to shine.

You think Zeller will improve enough to maintain his college stats against NBA competition? 17/8 is a big stretch

ETA: Number of NBA players who averaged at least 17 pts and 8 reb this year: 11

I think Zeller is going to be a better pro than college player. He was never really a 5, so I think he played out of position his entire college career. I think he can be a very effective starter as a face-up stretch 4 who runs the floor. I could be totally wrong, obviously, but I wouldn't be surprised if the sole All Star to come out of this draft was Zeller. I'm starting to be more willing to roll the dice on him than any of these other guys. I think his "bust" potential is low, but I know others disagree. I guess I just feel confident he's going to become a good outside shooter, which is everything for his NBA prospects.

Subjective feelings about a kid's "toughness," while playing out of position, don't cut much weight with me. Zeller seems to have all the components of a successful pro. His objective stats are very good. He just got picked apart by scouts and media because he had so much early success. Gun to your head --- who will have the better NBA career, Len or Zeller? Does Zeller really feel like a "bust" to you? I can't see it, but I understand the argument.

Arlington's Zeller analysis is really spot-on. If we're willing to overlook massive holes in Len, Noel, and Bennett's games, then why are we being hyper-critical of Zeller's? Dude is a physical specimen, with a heck of a lot to like from an NBA perspective.

This draft is weak, but there is a reason Zeller's stock plummeted during the season and is make a late charge now the further away we get from games. Do not want, especially at 4. Rather have Len there, and I don't particularly want Len there.

Oladpio to the Bobcats at 4. Simmons: "Do you plan on scoring more than 70 points?"

I don't like Zeller at all. Granted I only saw him play 2 or 3 times. Didn't seem like he was a natural scorer and just got crushed on defense. I don't see him being much better than Tyler Hansbrough.

My question about Zeller is - why has he risen so much since Indiana was eliminated from the NCAAT? What's he done since then that made him leap from 10-13 in the draft to #4 (or higher)? At this time last year, he was considered the #1 prospect in this draft. Then he got shoved around in the Big 10, people started questioning his toughness, his strength, his "alpha male" mentality. Oladipo looked like the star of that team, and Zeller was the sidekick. He had poor games against Temple and Syracuse, including an abysmal game against the Cuse where they were bounced. It looked like he was a late lottery guy, and then suddenly, he's flying up the board because his workouts are good? Ehhh.

This draft is weak, but there is a reason Zeller's stock plummeted during the season and is make a late charge now the further away we get from games. Do not want, especially at 4. Rather have Len there.

I get that, but the only reason we're not picking apart Len for the exact same reasons (but IMO much worse) are the dual 1) he played with selfish guards and 2) he played hurt-excuses. The same goes for Noel.

I'm just saying that we're holding Zeller to an absurd standard relative to other big men, with arguably bigger question marks, who did not produce to nearly the same extent at a high level than in either of Zeller's two seasons.

Hate on all three bigs, but don't single out Zeller for similar flaws we're willing to overlook in the other two guys.

I don't like Zeller at all. Granted I only saw him play 2 or 3 times. Didn't seem like he was a natural scorer and just got crushed on defense. I don't see him being much better than Tyler Hansbrough.

He totally shat the bed every time he went up against length... not like there is an overabundance of that in the NBA. And he was great in transition in college and scored a lot running the floor, I don't see that as a part of his game in the NBA.

Back