• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018-19 NBA Season Thread - NBA Finals Raptors Win #WeTheNorth

Spurs scrambling after trading Bertans AND re-working Carroll's contract to sign Marcus Morris. That's a disaster nearly as bad as Kawhi...check Pop for PTSD.

He's (likely) headed to the Knicks and 1 year/$15 million. Does that get taxed at 8.82%? Still leaves him with ~$13, 690,000

Versus 0% income tax in TX or 10 million flat with SA.

Key is NY has about 4 PF who clearly play PF, relatively equal in talent, vying for minutes.

Whereas Carroll can play SF, so it is really LMA (who would play some center) and Morris in SA.

And one would think SA is a better fit for anyone than Dolan's Knick disaster...I mean Morris is going to have a bunch of DNP's after January 1 as the Knicks suck again...RJ Barrett is not a savior. So, he's taking 3.9 million or so, to do nothing (DNP's) and compete for PT when he does play and not have a shot at the playoffs.

Got it.

Last edited:
Yeah, but which tier is NSCU in?

Do they even have 5 NBA players? Warren, DSJ? Who else?

I'll figure out the East later. I will say that Toronto seems to be undervalued. They did lose Kawhi, but they improved before the playoffs. They still have Gasol, Siakim should continue his rise and could be an All-Star next year. They get back Anunoby as well. But I'm seeing reports that the Raptors may trade Lowry, Gasol, and/or Ibaka and rebuild around Siakim. I think they should wait to see how next year goes first.

One thing to add to the West is that whoever makes the playoffs could contend. All those teams in the top two tiers have a pretty high ceiling. It looks like a very competitive playoffs. The Warriors and Clippers would be the obvious favorites. Lakers too if they make it into the playoffs healthy.

According to basketball-reference, these are the former NC State players who played in the NBA in 2018-9:

- TJ Warren
- Dennis Smith
- CJ Williams (he apparently played for State from 2009-2012, and played 15 games for the T-Wolves this past year)
- Lorenzo Brown (he apparently played for State from 2010-13 and played 26 games for the Raptors this past year)

That's it. Not too good (especially considering Gott had to buy Smith to get him to go to Raleigh).

Also, IIRC, Toronto went 17-5 in the 22 regular season games that Kawhi did not play. Siakam is only going to get better. Their front office knows what they are doing. They will be a factor in the East.

Last edited:
Yeah. That's why I'd be shocked if they blew it up. Maybe trade Ibaka if they can get some assets for him, but with him Lowry and Gasol in contract years, I think they should just stick with it. They just need Siakam to keep improving. They need to get more from VanVleet, Powell, and Anunoby. They have good pieces and they didn't cash out a bunch of draft picks for Kawhi. They'll be in good shape next year. If they want to let Lowry go and pay VanVleet they can or they can keep Lowry on a more friendly contract. They have options.

I think you are referring to me...

I think every team I put in front of Portland got better this offseason, except for Houston & Golden State (who were already tied or ahead of Portland in the standings this past season).

Probably splitting hairs, I just think GSW will be better than people expect and don't expect Houston to fall off the map.

Who did Portland lose/gain? Lost Ed David and Farooq and gained Whiteside and Bazemore? They'll also get Nurkic back

Who did Portland lose/gain? Lost Ed David and Farooq and gained Whiteside and Bazemore? They'll also get Nurkic back

Lost Evan Turner and Harkless as well.

Simons kid can play though. I think he gets minutes this year.

Simons is putting up good SL numbers. The Blazers could use someone in the VanVleet role to take some pressure off Dame and CJ. I think Hood gets a bigger role or at least a chance. Production from Little or Hoard would help a lot.

The Blazers have a sorta big 3 in Dame, CJ, and Nurkic and they made the WCF without one of them.

Spurs scrambling after trading Bertans AND re-working Carroll's contract to sign Marcus Morris. That's a disaster nearly as bad as Kawhi...check Pop for PTSD.

He's (likely) headed to the Knicks and 1 year/$15 million. Does that get taxed at 8.82%? Still leaves him with ~$13, 690,000

Versus 0% income tax in TX or 10 million flat with SA.

Key is NY has about 4 PF who clearly play PF, relatively equal in talent, vying for minutes.

Whereas Carroll can play SF, so it is really LMA (who would play some center) and Morris in SA.

And one would think SA is a better fit for anyone than Dolan's Knick disaster...I mean Morris is going to have a bunch of DNP's after January 1 as the Knicks suck again...RJ Barrett is not a savior. So, he's taking 3.9 million or so, to do nothing (DNP's) and compete for PT when he does play and not have a shot at the playoffs.

Got it.

Missed this post. Going to the Knicks would be so dumb. Aside from the points you’ve made, NBA contracts are guaranteed. So it’s $20M guaranteed vs. $15 guaranteed. As you point out, he may not play much for the Knicks so betting on himself may not lead to a bigger contract going forward. More importantly former Spurs always get overpaid in their next contract. Do well with the Spurs and he’s probably looking at another deal in the 2 year, $20-25M range. He turns 30 soon. He should take the guarantees.

According to Dallas Radio, Mavs and Memphis apparently talking around a Lee for Iggy trade. Mavs get Iggy and Memphis gets Lee, some cash and a second rounder

Edited to add multiple places saying this is more of a Dallas desire than "talks" lol. Typical Mavs. They are great at many things. They suck at Free Agency

Last edited:
Kawhi only signing a 3-year deal with the Clips, including a player option in the 3rd year. Paul George signed through 2021. Is RJ still firmly declaring that those picks through 2026 are "going to be crap" and that it "would be shocking if any of those would be as high as #20"?

Will this be the year that the Celtics finally stop underachieving? Or nah?

I guess if you lower expectations for them now they've got a weaker roster maybe they will overachieve. I do really like Carsen Edwards.

I also like that Daniel Theis and Robert Williams and Semi Ojeleye will be guarding Embiid now instead of Horford.

Wow. If I am understanding the basics of the Kawhi deal. My favorite NBA player on the autism spectrum did the following:

1. Won a championship and lingered and partied with his teammates - including going to Vegas with them - while other FAs were scrambling to sign $30mil deals
2. Agreed to meet with the Lakers but moved the meeting last minute to be a few minutes away from Paul George.
3. Met with George and told him if he orchestrated a deal to the Clippers, he'd sign his max money 4-year deal.
4. Waits for George to do just that and then in true Kawhi cold-blooded form, recalibrates his contract to 3 years with the last year a player option, essentially making this a 2-yr deal.

In the meantime, Clippers have given up all their picks for the next five years on the assumption they have both Kawhi and George in the fold. In reality, they have George for 3 and Kawhi for 2. Cold blooded.

yeah, I thought Kawhi and PG were both eligible to enter free agency in 2021 after it all shook out

Kawhi and PG13 are doing that so that they can get the ten year vet super max deal. Of all the owners, Ballmer is likely the one least concerned about paying a luxury tax on that. These contracts were to be expected.

Here are two other points. There won't be many places where either could move for a contract that starts out at 35% of the cap and still be competitive. Secondly, Kawhi and PG each openly talked about playing at "home".

My Clipper fandom doesn't go quite as far back as Billy Crystal, but I did live their in the late 90s to 2001 and totally got on the Darius Miles, Quiten Richardson, Keyon Dooling train. Add to that Bill Walton was doing their color and completely bonkers (I think it came out he was on heavy pain killer meds then due to back and knee issues that had him contemplating suicide), it was a wild time to be a Clipper fan. Now, not so much. I'll tepidly cheer for them over many teams, but I don't completely buy the Ballmer schtick as happy go lucky, knee slapping owner. He is certainly an upgrade from the racist weirdo that he bought the team from, so there is that.

Missed this post. Going to the Knicks would be so dumb. Aside from the points you’ve made, NBA contracts are guaranteed. So it’s $20M guaranteed vs. $15 guaranteed. As you point out, he may not play much for the Knicks so betting on himself may not lead to a bigger contract going forward. More importantly former Spurs always get overpaid in their next contract. Do well with the Spurs and he’s probably looking at another deal in the 2 year, $20-25M range. He turns 30 soon. He should take the guarantees.

Bingo.

And I completely forgot about the rumor the Knicks want to see Knox more as a stretch 4.

That leaves this:

Randle
Knox as stretch 4
*Marcus Morris*
Quickly improving Bobby Portis will need minutes at PF
Tag Gibson...probably a backup Center now

Morris is not a SF.

Versus

LMA (mostly PF, some C)
*Marcus Morris*/Rudy Gay
Dem Carroll a SF playing some stretch 4, but clearly could just start at SF. Forces DeRozan back to SG and undersized Forbes to the bench.

All that must have bothered Denver some, so they quickly poached Jerami Grant. Denver is the target, not LA or LA.

Back