• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018 NBA Offseason Thread: the preseason cometh

The tipping point for you is this Boutros Boutros Ghali signing?

I like what the Rockets did here. They are spending the same amount GS is spending on Iggy on three guys (Ariza, Tucker, Luc) who each give you 85% of what Iggy gives you.

Plus Luc can stay on the floor in a series against GS or the Spurs in a way that Ryan Anderson couldn't.

Basically.

I wouldn't say it's the tipping point but they continue to make moves that will get the closer to bringing in Melo to play PF full time. Their talent has passed the Spurs and now they've gotten another SF to counter the Gay signing and Melo will be a tough head to head matchup.

The Dubs and Rockets are clearly ahead of the rest of the league although there is still a solid gap between them.

Having been a fan of the Atlanta Hawks 25 years ago, I am very suspicious of putting three shooters on the court at the same time, two of each play average to bad defense.

I saw the Hawks try and make Moses Malone, Nique and Reggie Theus work. It didn't work. If anybody can make it work offensively, it is CP3 and D'Antoni, but I spent some time in Missouri as a kid. Show me. I want to see it work. Defensively, the genius of Bzd can make Harden and Melo work? I suppose Melo is potentially better than Ryan Anderson d-wise, but for my money, this is still the same team that got blown out at home by 65 points to a Spurs team missing their top 3 player. There is a wound there that I am not sure CP3 and Melo and Boutros Boutros Ghali can solve. Unless you simply assume that Harden ran out of gas emotionally being the guy and a 40-minute a game player. But I am not quite buying it.

Are they really good? For sure. Should their fanbase be ecstatic, you betcha, can they beat a team in the playoffs with 3+ years playing together (Spurs, Dubs), I am not sure at all.

Of course, I am not pleased with what the Spurs have done at all. I suspect they had a reason for dropping Simmons that related to something he did over the summer. It does not make sense otherwise. They just kept their mouth shut to allow him to make his coin.

As a Spurs fan, I am more concerned with the Thunder than the Rockets. Westbrook + other talent + Adams has been a bad matchup for the Spurs.

I personally think the Rockets will be a stronger team without Melo. Melo is a ball movement killer through most of his career. He also pulled a Latrell Sprewell light on Bzd in Denver. Happy to pop the popcorn and watch it play out, but if I am the Rockets GM, I play the hand I have today and do not help the Knicks get rid of Melo. And I like Melo. I just don't think the legend of the banana boat a championship makes.

Last edited:
rockets take several steps forward and the spurs attempted to stay the course and did not even do that.

they lose a valuable wing defender, their only mobile big defender, parker out and may never return to starter status (he was already on the decline), add a wing coming off a very serious injury, add a big that the bulls renounced...

pg position is very much up in the air and currently a weakness. wings will be old (manu??) or young an unproven to be able to help kawhi.

all while the rockets add cp3 and a bunch of roll players with experience that may turn out to be good defensively against gold state.

spurs will get 50+ again but they will need a lot of things to go right to be anywhere near west finals.

rockets take several steps forward and the spurs attempted to stay the course and did not even do that.

they lose a valuable wing defender, their only mobile big defender, parker out and may never return to starter status (he was already on the decline), add a wing coming off a very serious injury, add a big that the bulls renounced...

pg position is very much up in the air and currently a weakness. wings will be old (manu??) or young an unproven to be able to help kawhi.

all while the rockets add cp3 and a bunch of roll players with experience that may turn out to be good defensively against gold state.

spurs will get 50+ again but they will need a lot of things to go right to be anywhere near west finals.

I agree with this. I just think adding Melo at the expense of Ryan Anderson is a mistake. This team does not need a volume shooter. IMO. I can picture the playoff game. Spurs up 2 with 40 seconds to play. CP3 has led a 11 point comeback and Harden has just hit two 3s. Ball goes into Melo and he decides it is his turn and he backs down David Lee and shoots a fall away jumper with 10 seconds left on the shot clock and Aldridge rebounds the miss. Pissed, Melo fouls Aldridge immediately ... CP3 is seen throwing his mouth guard down on the ground in disgust.

All this LaVar Ball as marketing genius talk is ridiculous. Bro doesn't have some master plan.

Aside from his kid being a triple double machine in summer league while auditioning for shoe companies?

No. Probably not.

???

Did Murray leave?

i assume you are kidding around. but, he crapped the bed in summer league and has yet to show consistency. his jumper has not been very good. he has all the physical tools but he's not ready. i would still give him the chance to earn the starting job and hope his pretty good rebounding and effort on defense would be enough for the starters to mask his deficiencies while he learns on the job.

I agree with this. I just think adding Melo at the expense of Ryan Anderson is a mistake. This team does not need a volume shooter. IMO. I can picture the playoff game. Spurs up 2 with 40 seconds to play. CP3 has led a 11 point comeback and Harden has just hit two 3s. Ball goes into Melo and he decides it is his turn and he backs down David Lee and shoots a fall away jumper with 10 seconds left on the shot clock and Aldridge rebounds the miss. Pissed, Melo fouls Aldridge immediately ... CP3 is seen throwing his mouth guard down on the ground in disgust.

Yeah I would kind of like to see the Rockets roll with what they have for a couple of months and only make a Ryan's Anderson for Carmelo swap in early 2018 (with other teams involved) if they feel like they need to take the risk.

I can see the upside in bringing Melo in under the theory that he's still a really good player when he gives a shit (2016 olympics) and who might be willing to accept a smaller role in order to win. I'm just not sure how persuasive that theory is. If the goal is to beat a healthy Warriors team next season though, I think that's the only theory that gets you there so why not roll with it.

Wife and I went to the Kendrick Lamar/Travis Scott show in Houston on Saturday night, and Harden/CP3/entourage were in the box suite right above us. We saw them making a selfie video during Loyalty and, sure enough, CP3 posted it to instagram immediately after.

Basically, we run in the same circles as Harden and CP3 and I'm pretty sure we'd be best friends if we ever met.

Yeah I would kind of like to see the Rockets roll with what they have for a couple of months and only make a Ryan's Anderson for Carmelo swap in early 2018 (with other teams involved) if they feel like they need to take the risk.

I can see the upside in bringing Melo in under the theory that he's still a really good player when he gives a shit (2016 olympics) and who might be willing to accept a smaller role in order to win. I'm just not sure how persuasive that theory is. If the goal is to beat a healthy Warriors team next season though, I think that's the only theory that gets you there so why not roll with it.

I worry about bringing Melo in, but I'm starting to convince myself it could workout. If he replaces Anderson in the rotation, he gets to feed off Harden/CP3 passes and go at the opposing team's #2 or #3 wing defender every night. He could be a serious offensive weapon in that role.

Obviously he's not giving you much on the defensive end, but neither was Ryan Anderson.

Houston Rockets owner Leslie Alexander has announced that he's putting the team up for sale. That's a shocker. He's owned the Rockets since 1993, and he's about as good an owner as one could ask for.

I do not like this.

I am starting to wonder whether the Spurs have some super secret plan to roll out a rejuvenated Timmy and cyborg thin Manu back next year and then have lots of cap room the season after next.

Houston Rockets owner Leslie Alexander has announced that he's putting the team up for sale. That's a shocker. He's owned the Rockets since 1993, and he's about as good an owner as one could ask for.

I do not like this.

Great move for him though. Cash out now, take a huge gain and avoid that $200 million payroll the next 5 years once the new owner is forced to give CP3 the max in order to defend the title.

Yo palma! Is Dennis Smith too athletic? Seems like he might be!

Wow just read that Dennis Smith naturally had two ACLs in the knee he injured in high school

Who knew?!

Adds a whole new level to the #tooathletic analysis. Tommy John surgery ain't a big deal if you have three arms.

Back