• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2022-23 College Basketball Thread: UCONN - One Shining Moment

Wait! Dook and unc lost on the same day? This could be a rough week for the top of the ACC.

Two thoughts after watching a lot of college hoops over the last few days:

1- The ACC is digging itself a huge hole. This week’s ACC/B1G Challenge is going to be important for the perception of the league.

2- I’ve only seen a few teams that look very good. I hesitate to say that Wake can play with anyone, but I kind of feel that way right now. Obviously, the next stretch of games will tell us a lot.

Purdue with 7'4" Edey in the middle looks tough to beat. Painter got himself another great big.

Purdue vs FSU! Somebody didn’t think that through.

Two game holes losing streak.
FSU got crushed by Nebraska today. Nebraska is either the worst or second worst team in the Big 10. The Noles are 1-7 and have mostly played garbage teams.

Unfathomable how poorly the ACC has played to start this season. There are FOUR ACC teams currently in the top 40. There are TEN Big 10 teams in the top 40.

The way the conference has played; the ACC may get fewer bids than last year

I think the entire big 10 has lost 15 games. FSU and Lville have lost 12 between them.

I was going to make a joke about how the ACC/B1G Challenge ended for us a long time ago, but we've actually been surprisingly mediocre over the last decade (against some pretty poor opponents, of course).

And there were a number of years where we didn't even get an invite.

Sucks because it is so established but I will definitely enjoy playing SEC schools more.

Two thoughts after watching a lot of college hoops over the last few days:

2- I’ve only seen a few teams that look very good. I hesitate to say that Wake can play with anyone, but I kind of feel that way right now. Obviously, the next stretch of games will tell us a lot.

That's because college basketball is not a good product.

We have the second highest winning percentage in the ACC- B10 Challenge.

In the late 80's-early '90's there was an ACC-Big East Challenge, we were 0-3 in it, losses to Seton Hall, Villanova, and UConn

That's because college basketball is not a good product.

I'm almost rooting for college basketball to really jump the shark and ruin the last good thing they have going - the NCAA Tourney - by drastically expanding the field or actually adopting whatever officiating focal points they try for the first couple months every year.

I mean, they occasionally identify problems - like overly physical play or guys flopping all the time, or the need for replay - but then it's like they intentionally come up with the worst possible way to address them while giving absolutely no consideration to potential impact. Let's keep halves but start calling every touch foul in the first 5 minutes so most games turn into a free throw contest. Let's make it a technical foul for a guy to try to take a charge but leave the details of that so vague that every official calls it differently. Oh that guy pushed off and the other guy fell down, let's see how strong is the first guy, how much does the defender weigh, was the fall commensurate with the push or was it embellished? To what degree? Ok all that with a non-warning immediate technical now. Then let's tweak timeouts and change who/when you can call them, but institute the slowest, dumbest, most painfully game-ruining replay system you can possibly come up with so teams who blow all their timeouts face basically zero repercussions. We'll also add things to replay like goaltending reversals, but when the ball is spiked out of bounds or the other team recovers it, we'll just default the call to "inadvertent whistle" and just go to the possession arrow.

You'd think someone would pay a price for ruining the sport, but somehow it just goes on and on.

Back