• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2022-23 NBA Offseason - Aces win WNBA Finals; Preseason; NBA Fantasy League last call

US sports franchises are going to get expensive enough that foreign governments (or people backed by foreign governments) will be the main potential buyers.

The Suns were valued at $1.8B last year, #18 in the league, $300M higher than the lowest valued team, the Grizz. So $4B is the new floor now.

The number of billionaires with money to burn has grown faster than the number of major sports franchises. The Washington Commanders owner is a world-class POS and he literally ran that once proud franchise into the ground, yet the word is that they may be sold for 7 billion. Given that the super-rich covet the idea of a major sports franchise as a toy, impossible to not wildly profit when selling a team.

US sports franchises are going to get expensive enough that foreign governments (or people backed by foreign governments) will be the main potential buyers.

The Suns were valued at $1.8B last year, #18 in the league, $300M higher than the lowest valued team, the Grizz. So $4B is the new floor now.
Then $2.2B must have been for the Mercury I guess.

Now build the new owner a new arena ! Shiny new toys for billionaires ! !

That's amazing. I had it on last night with the volume low while I was listening to a podcast. Now I'm mad I missed out.

I think John Collins may have just literally dropped an air ball rebound and let Ayo Dosumnu of the Bulls grab the ball for a game-winning offensive rebound putback as time expired.

Not great.

Yeah. That’s what happened.

Seriously wondering what the asset value of a trade return to Atlanta might look like in a Collins deal. After this season he’s basically owed 3 more years at about $25 million per year, with the 3rd of those 3 years a player option.

It’s difficult because he’s underperforming now but he’s a 25 year who has had two seasons at around 20/10 and is capable of being a 55/40/80 player. So they shouldn’t just ditch his contract because whoever gets him will get a legit player.

Last edited:
not only did he give up the board but he then got shoved down and smothered by the bulls' celebration

I was planning to go to Spurs-Magic tonight until Wake got into the Gasparilla Bowl. I would have been super pissed. The Spurs were down 94-91 to start the fourth and lost 133-113.

The Magic have won 8 of their last 9. The only loss was by one to the Hawks. They had two wins against the Raptors and Celtics in that run. They’re out of the tank zone that the Spurs, Rockets, Hornets, and Pistons are in.

But your presence there would have meant a different set of observers and thus a possible different outcome, and so we don’t really know what would have happened. Maybe you caused the blowout!

This is the right basketball move but a tough PR sell in the short term. He was at the game in LA last night sitting courtside for the win over the Lakers, and hugging LaMelo and PJ after the game. He is going to play again for someone, and if a new contract comes with a suspension that sits him the rest of this season, it would be by far the longest suspension in NBA history for anything remotely similar to this. Relative to other similar players and especially if compared to the NFL, at some point it is okay to move forward. People are cheering Deshaun Watson and there is no real resolution with him. Tyreke Hill is lauded. Marshawn Lynch is revered. At least Bridges went through the court process.

If there was ever a year to take the PR hit, take it now during the tank year that is already shot anyway. If they could come out of this season with LaMelo still on a rookie deal and team-controlled max contact coming up, Bridges on a massive underpay deal relative to production, and Wemby in the draft, that could be akin to the Spurs' Duncan + Robinson year from a tank and offseason standpoint.

But they need to preserve the tank. Now that guys are starting to get healthy, they are winning games and much closer in others. In reality the NBA is not going to let Wemby to Charlotte happen, especially if they resign Bridges, but a even top-5 pick to pair with the other two could still be franchise-changing. If they win too many meaningless games now they could shoot themselves in the balls. Sit LaMelo back down to let him "recover", trade every vet of value now to make sure it doesn't happen, simultaneously resign Bridges now to implement the rest of the suspension and get over the PR hit, and come out firing next year.

Back