• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2022 College Football Thread: Georgia is Back to Back Champions !!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, the Fighting Illini. Last ranked in 2011. Ron Zook was coach. Ironically, Zook ended up getting fired before the end of the season. Illinois started out 6-0, and ascended as high as #16. They then lost their last 6 games of the year. Zook was fired. DC VIc Keonning (who was later fired by WV for mistreatment of players) coached 6-6 Illinois in the Fight Hunger Bowl. Illinois has been terrible ever since (42-79).

FWIW, the FBS team with longest streak of not being ranked is the North Texas State Mean Green. They have been D1 for decades and FBS since the start of that subdivision, and they were last ranked in 1959. There are several current non-Power V FBS teams that have never been ranked.

Last edited:
Lebron could do anything but play basketball the way I understand it. Used to be that any professional sport would disqualify you from any amateur sport. I want to say there was a kicker for Colorado or somebody who was ruled ineligible because he had been paid to ski or do some kind of winter sport.

Yeah, I found it. It was Jeremy Bloom, not a kicker. https://www.insider.com/nfl-ncaa-jeremy-bloom-documentary-student-athletes-2021-6

and his sister is Molly Bloom of "Molly's Game"

And the ones who wouldn't want him are the ones who actually have decent teams and don't want the distraction of having an extra egomaniac on their team who will probably quit after one season.

Saban
Smart
Clawson
Sark
Harbaugh
Whittingham
Doeren
Dabo
Stoops
Aranda
Venables
Pittman

And those are just the ones with good programs right now. If you're in hot water, there's no chance Lebron is going to consider your school and there's no chance you'd want him there.
I just fundamentally disagree with most of those. Hell, Lebron would be better for your locker room than Spencer Rattler or Tate Martell. I could see Saban signing him in a second, but I don't think he's serious about playing anyway. He was an elite WR in high school, but that was decades ago.

Herndon Hooker is great and all, even if he is from Greensboro, but he will be almost 25 years old by the time UT plays in the Outback Bowl. He's a 6th year senior, grad transfer.

Stetson Bennett IV turns 25 in October, having transferred in and out of JUCO.

Sam Hartman turned 23 this past summer and Devin Leary just turned 23 as well.

While unusual, there have been middle-aged guys playing college sports. It happens most commonly with former professional baseball players taking a shot at college football, but it can happen with any combination of sports.
Yeah, haven't y'all seen Unnecessary Roughness?

So what is everyone hoping for?
State to beat Clemson to keep us alive in the division (assuming we beat fsu) but also giving state the driver seat in the division race or…
For Clemson to effectively end the division race with a win over state Saturday?

My heart says I want State absolutely humbled because I don't think they're that good and if Clemson plays like they did against us they should destroy them (though I doubt they'll be able to pass like that). No way Heisman Leary can keep up.

But my head says it's better for State to beat Clemson.

I’m absolutely rooting for Clemson to throttle State. Please let’s end this “top 10” hype train. May not be the best result for the Deacs on paper but a State win will be nauseating.

Pretty hard to see a scenario where WF wins the division if Clemson wins on Saturday. Don't see Clemson losing two conference games if it already has wins @WF and against NC State. Pretty much the only other loseable ACC game on Clemson's schedule is @ FSU on October 15.

So, an NC State win is probably the best result to keep WF's hopes alive.

Stating the obvious, the more important result for WF to have any hope of staying in the ACCCG race is winning at FSU on Saturday. Not only would WF fall to 0-2 in the conference, but it would lose tiebreakers with FSU and Clemson. Teams can lose a game early and still have a special season. Lose two early, and the best WF could hope for would be to ruin NC State's season.

True. I think winning the Atlantic is a pipe dream at this point. Don't see Clemson losing two. So perhaps the best case scenario is Clemson winning out to make the CFP and us winning out to hopefully get the Orange Bowl slot.

Last edited:
Pretty hard to see a scenario where WF wins the division if Clemson wins on Saturday. Don't see Clemson losing two conference games if it already has wins @WF and against NC State. Pretty much the only other loseable ACC game on Clemson's schedule is @ FSU on October 15.

So, an NC State win is probably the best result to keep WF's hopes alive.

Stating the obvious, the more important result for WF to have any hope of staying in the ACCCG race is winning at FSU on Saturday. Not only would WF fall to 0-2 in the conference, but it would lose tiebreakers with FSU and Clemson. Teams can lose a game early and still have a special season. Lose two early, and the best WF could hope for would be to ruin NC State's season.

Has Wake football really gotten to the point where 10-2 isn't a special season and only ruins State's season?

it was fun to be the ones to derail State's supposed magical season with senior Rivers. Would be fun to do it again. At least end their CFP dreams.

Back