• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2023 College Football Thread: Michigan Recognized as National Champions of Cheating !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think even with the low snap he had time. He sort of panicked and probably should have just continued with the play as called.

That being said, that center was brutal all day
Yeah, he had a lot of bad snaps. And UM's STs were at least as bad, muffing 2 punts, missing a FG and botching a PAT. If they spot UW 11 points like that, I don't think they'll recover. Bama's offense only had 1 long TD drive and 2 50+ yard FGs.

I think it was because of the low snap. If he gets a better snap, he probably sees it better and follows the pulling RG.

LK, Washington has been a dog twice to Oregon, to Oregon St, Texas and now Michigan. Vegas doesn't like UW for some reason. It'll be interesting to see if Michigan's D can hold them under 30 because that passing attack is prolific. Go Huskies.
Penix throws such a good ball and that receiving corps is crazy talented. I'm hoping the injury to their RB doesn't impact the outcome next week.

Where is Penix projected in the draft? I didn't realize he had all those season-ending injuries, I'm sure that will be a concern for some teams, but without that, how could you not make a case for him being the first QB off the board?

Yeah, he had a lot of bad snaps. And UM's STs were at least as bad, muffing 2 punts, missing a FG and botching a PAT. If they spot UW 11 points like that, I don't think they'll recover. Bama's offense only had 1 long TD drive and 2 50+ yard FGs.

1704213435836.png

The NFL draft rating for Penix has fluctuated (see below). I like him, but he is 24, and has two torn ACLs in his past. He certainly helped his stock last night, and can again in the CFP Finals.

From the Sporting News:

Michael Penix Jr. NFL draft projection

Below is a look at what some prominent NFL Draft analysts are saying about Penix and where they project him to be selected.

Walter Football

• Analyst: Charlie Campbell
  • Projection: Round 2-3
Analysis: "For the NFL, Penix has a quality arm capable of making all the throws. He can make some nice passes along the sideline and working the back shoulder of his receivers. In the back half of the season, Penix has shown some accuracy issues, with many easy would-be completions being lost to passes off the mark. Penix needs to improve his accuracy and mechanics, plus his footwork will need development for the pros."

Bleacher Report

• Analyst: Derrik Klassen
  • Projection: Round 4
Analysis: "For teams that want to chuck it down the field with a heavy dose of play action, Penix is an interesting dice roll. His live arm, aggressiveness and moments of progression passing give him a shot to stick in the NFL. With that said, Penix's lack of touch, shaky pocket management and minimal ability to create plays will limit his ceiling in the pros."

Pro Football Network

• Analyst: Ian Cummings
  • Projection: Potential Round 1 pick
Analysis: "Medicals will be big for Penix, but if he’s cleared during NFL Combine evaluations, he has a legitimate case to be a Round 1 pick. Even as a sixth-year senior, there are still mechanical lapses for him to iron out, but he’s a fearless pocket operator with an elastic cannon for an arm."

With that said, Penix's lack of touch, shaky pocket management and minimal ability to create plays will limit his ceiling in the pros.
This seems bizarre. He seems to have adequate athleticism and can make plays with his legs if he needs to. And his touch on intermediate and deep balls is probably his best asset. Dude can drop it in the bucket.

I'd argue that Center is the toughest job on the line. Not only are you identifying defenses and calling out protections, but also, for your initial contact with the Dline, you are blocking with 1 hand, while you try and bring the other one forward. When you rush that process, as we saw last night, the shotgun snap is not going to get as much height as it requires. The shotgun snap actually takes longer, because the center is supposed to release the ball higher. It is a tragedy only the mistakes are ever highlighted while the successes are ignored.

Now that the Pac-12 is no more and the traditional Pac-12/B1G game is a thing of history, I wish the Rose Bowl could be made the permanent site of the national championship game. Crazy to play it in some soulless dome on artificial turf in a place like Houston or Atlanta when you have that beautiful setting available.
Gonna disagree with this take. For me, these are just as much for the fans and you don’t put it as far away as possible for most of the fanbases likely to make it, especially in a place that doesn’t care about college football.

This seems bizarre. He seems to have adequate athleticism and can make plays with his legs if he needs to. And his touch on intermediate and deep balls is probably his best asset. Dude can drop it in the bucket.
I'm with you and think he goes in the 1st. Would be kinda cool if Seattle took him. In addition to what Pilch posted, PFF currently has a late 1 on him and GBN an early 2. I also think the medicals won't hurt him because he's had 2 healthy seasons in a row. Where he goes will also depend on what Sanders and McCarthy decide to do. I'd guess Sanders stays because he's getting $4-5mil in NIL $$ and that McCarthy enters the draft if Harbaugh takes an NFL job, which sounds likely.

Biff, I hear you, but it wasn't coaching that caused the bad snaps, hooked FGA and muffs.

It was a serious question. I stepped out of the room. Are they required to spend a timeout under a minute?
All injuries under a certain time (2 minutes maybe?) are given an official injury timeout. To stop this from being abused the non-injury team can opt for a ten second clock runoff which Texas declined

penix has weird mechanics and i'm on record as skeptical of his nfl prospects but damn dude just balls

that says, lots of college ballers that were no good in the NFL

Derick Klassen who wrote that projection is a clown. Not at all surprised to read that nonsense from him.

Agreed. That was a bad Michigan team led by a very raw Joe Milton who was awful that day.
Damn, that's a good memory. I had forgotten that Milton started there before he got Wally Pipped at Tennessee by Hooker.

Going to be real good matchup up front when Washington has the ball. Top rated OL going against Michigan's excellent DL. Whoever constantly wins that battle probably wins the game. Unlike the Michigan-Bama game where I was conflicted, I'm UDub all the way in this one.

Back