• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

OFFICIAL 2023 Wake Forest Demon Deacons Football Thread

That should be a tactic the staff uses. Go after FCS All-Americans.
It already is. One of Clawson's stated plans when they arrived from Bowling Green was to try to build a G5 all-star team. They realized they wouldn't win too many H2H recruiting battles with P5 schools (especially prior to facility upgrades), and they also knew how good individual players at G5 schools like Bowling Green could be. The strategy was essentially to recruit a G5 all-star team. I think that strategy with G5 and FCS can be even more successful with the Portal.

I liked what Mitch showed against VMI. I'm not worried about Mitch, he's been around a while. It's the pieces around him that I worry about. I feel like getting to a bowl next year will be attainable but tough. For me, anything more than 6-7 wins will be a truly outstanding season.
Keep in mind it’s VMI. I’ll say that again - VMI.

And I think we were around 8.5 or 9 this season on the wins O/U and won 7. Add @ ND to the non-con and basically trade for Pitt (h & a) for UNC who we have lost to 3 in a row.
Had an underachieving Oline this year and we lose some of them. New but maybe more mobile 4th year QB. Think you are close at 5.5-6 wins. And hope for 7.
Our over/under this year was consistently 6.5 across the board pre-season.

Keep in mind it’s VMI. I’ll say that again - VMI.

The good thing about that game is that it gave Griffis lots of oortunities to make the reads and decisions in live game action. Scrimmages aren't the same as games.

No matter how hard the coaches and players try to make the scrimmages realistic, they are still just scrimmages. It's really tough to put maximum effort against a guy you will go have dinner with and go to study hall with and go to social activities with etc.

Easier to go all out against a bunch of guys who will get on the bus and go away after the game. So, while it was VMI, they were still guys in different color shirts who got on the bus and went away after the game.

Why would you expect the defense to improve?
Another year in the system, solid inbound talent, and just a general feeling that this year was marred by a few critical injuries at key spots and impacted as well by a deflating back half of the season. Looked to me like we got healthier and more focused for Missouri. Held them scoreless in the 4th when it mattered.

It's also an easier schedule and expectations will be lower, and I feel like the lack of turnovers this season was as much an outlier as anything else.

Also I'm consistently overly optimistic.

Our over/under this year was consistently 6.5 across the board pre-season.

Don't typically agree with the Reff, but he's right on this one. WF's season O/U this year was 8 or 8.5 until the Hartman injury was announced during camp. Then it dropped to 7 and maybe 6.5 in some shops.

Took the under as soon as the Hartman news trickled out and before the O/U fell.

Don't typically agree with the Reff, but he's right on this one. WF's season O/U this year was 8 or 8.5 until the Hartman injury was announced during camp. Then it dropped to 7 and maybe 6.5 in some shops.

Took the under as soon as the Hartman news trickled out and before the O/U fell.
I (somehow) forgot the Sam pre-season news. I got it at 6.5 as well.

My apologies!

Another year in the system, solid inbound talent, and just a general feeling that this year was marred by a few critical injuries at key spots and impacted as well by a deflating back half of the season. Looked to me like we got healthier and more focused for Missouri. Held them scoreless in the 4th when it mattered.

It's also an easier schedule and expectations will be lower, and I feel like the lack of turnovers this season was as much an outlier as anything else.

I also trust Lambert given the consistently good halftime adjustments this season and his overall track record.

Win total was 8.5 prior to the Hartman news and 6.5 after the news broke.

Will withhold predictions until after the transfer portal shakes out but my guess is Vegas will set the 2023 win total somewhere around 5 but no higher than 6.

We will need a significant influx of talent on the DL for me to think we can be better next year. We have DTs with any experience and one of those (Cheney) has been hurt more often than not. Davis is a good guy at DE, but we need some guys to step up and replace Johns and Bothroyd.

Posting this here too. If NIL becomes a thing with bowl games then we have a selling point with consistently making them:

if the selling point is consistently making bowls, and if 7-5 is required, then I would imagine the OOC schedule will remain as easy as possible

if the selling point is consistently making bowls, and if 7-5 is required, then I would imagine the OOC schedule will remain as easy as possible
Tough balance now. It’s worth shooting for the expanded playoff in some years. But making a bowl should always be the goal.

The only time a revamp of the OL is a major negative is if the OL was really good. In this case a revamp could turn out to be what's needed.

Agree in theory, but the issue is that the guys we're counting on next year were sitting behind the OL this year, with the exception of Petitbon. It's possible with a year of development, they end up being a better unit. I'd say it's a lot less likely (but maybe still plausible) that the coaching staff was simply playing the wrong guys. But overall I think it's pretty unlikely our offensive line takes a step forward barring some unexpected new additions.

If I make a wild guess today, Clapp, Gulbin, Petitbon, Sharpe and Gordon ends up as our starting line.

I am actually interested to see if we continue to run the slow mesh at the same rate that we have been. New(er) offensive line and a new starting QB may change up some stuff.

I know we ONLY run it like 20% of the time, but it may be time for the next wrinkle to figure something better with our running game.

Agree in theory, but the issue is that the guys we're counting on next year were sitting behind the OL this year, with the exception of Petitbon. It's possible with a year of development, they end up being a better unit. I'd say it's a lot less likely (but maybe still plausible) that the coaching staff was simply playing the wrong guys. But overall I think it's pretty unlikely our offensive line takes a step forward barring some unexpected new additions.

If I make a wild guess today, Clapp, Gulbin, Petitbon, Sharpe and Gordon ends up as our starting line.
Jurgens may be returning.

I am actually interested to see if we continue to run the slow mesh at the same rate that we have been. New(er) offensive line and a new starting QB may change up some stuff.

I know we ONLY run it like 20% of the time, but it may be time for the next wrinkle to figure something better with our running game.

I would like to see some jet sweeps, reverses and more screen passes. I think all three keep the defense more honest along with the RPO.

Having said this, I realize Clawson is stubborn as hell and I've just wasted 2 minutes of my time typing this.

Back