• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

OFFICIAL 2023 Wake Forest Demon Deacons Football Thread

Make it 6 toss ups for me. Would you move State into likely win?
I can't, yeah we've owned them at home, but I think State is going to be pretty good this year and they are due to get us at home. Too many unknowns going into this season for me, hopefully after the first few games I'll have a more positive feel about things.

I have to admit I'm a little nervous about those Vandy and Ga Tech games, even at home. Both teams and coaches have a lot to prove and have a chip on their shoulder.

Vandy had late season upsets at ranked UK and home against Florida.

Ga Tech closed out the season 4-4 once Key got the job.
Vandy has to learn how to play defense, especially passing. It has not been pretty so far in fall camp even with them making that a priority this offseason

GT will be scrappy, but still have to figure out Qb and OL(the latter was extremely bad) and idk if they can do that early enough. That's a "don't beat yourself" game

Vandy has to learn how to play defense, especially passing. It has not been pretty so far in fall camp even with them making that a priority this offseason

GT will be scrappy, but still have to figure out Qb and OL(the latter was extremely bad) and idk if they can do that early enough. That's a "don't beat yourself" game

Those are good points. I know they're not great teams, but I would expect them both to improve over last season. Ga Tech almost made a bowl last season.

but as you and windy have pointed out making a bowl doesn't mean shit

It would mean Ga Tech was almost back to respectability. But if you don't make the Birmingham Bowl, you pretty much still suck.

Ga Tech went 4-4 in the ACC last year including 3-1 on the road (won at Pitt, VT, UNC)

Make it 6 toss ups for me. Would you move State into likely win?
NC State at WF has been a likely win for the Deacs for a long time. So, yes.

State is a mystery team. They lost a lot of talent off their defense, but still have a couple studs on that side of the ball. Brennan Armstrong was HORRIBLE last year, and UVA best position group was at receiver (admittedly, UVA's OL was horrendous). Will Armstrong find the magic when he reunites with his OC? No idea. The range of outcomes for NC State's season is wide. State opens with a tricky game at UCONN. UCONN really improved last year, State is running a new offense, and they have a look ahead hosting Notre Dame the next week. Will know a lot about the Pack after the first two games. Hartman will be playing in Carter-Finley on September 9 (ND also plays at Duke later in the season -sites of two tough WF losses last year).

Wait, Payton Wilson is back at NCSU for a 6th year? Wow. Thought he had serious NFL potential.

Also, had totally forgot they got Brennan Armstrong, and are reuniting them with his old OC. They should be pretty good.

The Pack also have Ayden White at CB who is rising on 2024 NFL draft boards.

Brennan Armstrong threw for an abominable 7 TDs with 12 picks last year. Maybe that was all Tony Elliot's incompetence.

NC State at WF has been a likely win for the Deacs for a long time. So, yes.

State is a mystery team. They lost a lot of talent off their defense, but still have a couple studs on that side of the ball. Brennan Armstrong was HORRIBLE last year, and UVA best position group was at receiver (admittedly, UVA's OL was horrendous). Will Armstrong find the magic when he reunites with his OC? No idea. The range of outcomes for NC State's season is wide. State opens with a tricky game at UCONN. UCONN really improved last year, State is running a new offense, and they have a look ahead hosting Notre Dame the next week. Will know a lot about the Pack after the first two games. Hartman will be playing in Carter-Finley on September 9 (ND also plays at Duke later in the season -sites of two tough WF losses last year).
I think UCONN is better than they were (when they were like one of the worst teams ever in the last few years) but I still don't think they were remotely very good last year. I guess Uconn is "only" a 17 point dog so they may be better overall than I thought. I mean that's not good but I thought it would be like mid-20s

Elon-W (Good way to start the season)
Vandy-W (Hate the 11:00 start time)
@ODU-W (Seems like a good way to get that first road win)
GT-W (I would be concerned about this if it was in ATL)
@Clemson-L (not going to happen)
@VT-L (we don't play well in Blacksburg)
PITT-W (I really want to beat these assholes)
FSU-L (Would love it but don't see beating them 4 in a row)
@Duke-W (Last year's loss there was disgusting)
NCSU-W (State can't play in WS, especially late in the season)
@ND-W (This will be Hartman's annual WTF game)
@Syracuse-L (This one worries me)

Why wouldn’t they switch that this year, especially since the divisons are gone? Are there any other ACC anomalies like that? Something like Duke never playing at Syracuse or something.
I think we went through and looked at this a few years ago and there were a few others.

Saw Cam’s post in the updated roster. OL is going to be big, in average. Find it interesting how all interior DL that will see time this year hover around 280. Kind of been that way for years now - even with Fox and Turner. Is that scheme or recruiting/development?

Saw Cam’s post in the updated roster. OL is going to be big, in average. Find it interesting how all interior DL that will see time this year hover around 280. Kind of been that way for years now - even with Fox and Turner. Is that scheme or recruiting/development?
Yes.

When you're seeing a bunch of pretty good passing offenses(and ones with mobile QBs), the last thing you want is more slow people on the field. Football is moving towards having purely as much speed as possible out there, not a bunch of blobs going 3 yards and a cloud of dust (minus the B1G). The DTs in a four down set are just going to be lighter because their job isn't to take on double teams as is the job in 3 down fronts for teams like UGA, Oregon, NC State, etc

Guys that play fast as fast as some do at 280ish when they're actually at 300ish end up at OU(Venables), Clemson, and ND

Back