• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2024 NFL Thread. Draft is done. Which Teams will Find Winng "Lottery Tickets" in Undrafted Free Agents?

I actually think age of a starting QB that isn't a superstar is a bit of an overstated issue

so he comes in after two years, has three more on his rookie deal -- if he's a good but not great starter (which seems to be his ceiling) then he's under his rookie deal through his physical prime and you don't have silly money tied up in your starting QB

now, should you use the #9 pick on that? no, but if you're picking late first and you believe a guy could be starter on a playoff team then 24 doesn't scare me at all

Really? You think a qb who doesn’t get first team reps and game experience till he’s 27 is an asset ?

I am sure Drake Maye is a fine football player and comes from a nice family, but I don't think the Patriots have done enough to make a young QB successful. Mac Jones had problems sure, but they were exacerbated by a bad Oline, lack of WR's who could get open and a coaching staff that did not put him in a place to succeed. Most of those things have not been addressed. So to put a young QB in that situation, "just so he can take his licks" and "grow with the team" doesn't seem like a recipe for success. The kind of QB who can come into a shitty situation and make the whole team better is exceptionally rare and not exactly a model that is worth aiming for.
Patriots dynasty died when best of all time offensive line coach dante scarnecchia retired. Their line play has been poor ever since and I agree they've missed the mark on Patriot Way receivers and TE's for the most part. Their defense, which has always been a strength of Bill B, has been strong but not strong enough to offset their brutally bad offenses since Brady left. But I totally agree with your take, drafting a QB isn't going to fix the Patriots problem. I was hoping they'd get a steal of a later round QB, draft a stud OL/OT/C with the 3, and get another solid OT/OL/C later on, with a good rookie WR mixed in.

I'd be surprised if they win more than 5 games this year but I'm happy we got Maye vs anyone else other than the USC kid.

I think given the economics of the NFL and the value of a good QB on a cheap contract, there are situations where it could work out
Not if you're paying a vet QB on a 4/180 contract.

I think given the economics of the NFL and the value of a good QB on a cheap contract, there are situations where it could work out

No way. They’ll draft some other guy in the first round if you suck after 9 games.

Patriots dynasty died when best of all time offensive line coach dante scarnecchia retired. Their line play has been poor ever since and I agree they've missed the mark on Patriot Way receivers and TE's for the most part. Their defense, which has always been a strength of Bill B, has been strong but not strong enough to offset their brutally bad offenses since Brady left. But I totally agree with your take, drafting a QB isn't going to fix the Patriots problem. I was hoping they'd get a steal of a later round QB, draft a stud OL/OT/C with the 3, and get another solid OT/OL/C later on, with a good rookie WR mixed in.

I'd be surprised if they win more than 5 games this year but I'm happy we got Maye vs anyone else other than the USC kid.
UNC hate aside

I don't see much of a difference between Maye and Howell. Both did the same shit for mediocre UNC teams.

----------

LOL Bo Nix in the top 12. That's fucking stupid.

But this is actually setting up really, really well for the Cowboys with no defensive players off the board yet. Jerruh et al could still do something stupid, but they have to be giddy right now.

I CALL BULLSHIT

that Sean Peyton feels the same about Bo Nix as he did about Patrick Mahomes.

COMPLETE BULLSHIT

Fewer corners off the board, better for the Eagles. No defensive players off yet is a good sign.

Back