• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official AD Search Thread - #WellmanOUT

RacerDeac

#iwasright #rjlies
Reaction score
Ok, Manning's our coach. No matter what you think of the hire or the process, he's either our underqualified jerk or super qualified future HOFer (depending on where you stand) now, so time to cheer him on.

But Ron, he's got to go. Two botched hirings in a row. He's toxic and our job is toxic because of him. He earns way too much money, places NCAA duties above his here at Wake, and he operates like a dinosaur in a day where sports are dominated by tech savvy folks.

So, who do we want? How much longer are we stuck with him? Will the boosters encourage him to move along now that this process is over?

Posted on another thread Manning may be similar to Alan Major @ Charlotte. Review Major's record...Move in place to replace Major & AD Judy Rose. Hope this is not an indication of the future...

Maybe some of you could stop being Buttheads for just a few months.

Hope for the best but plan for the worse. Give Manning two years to see if there is a progress trend. After Bz, Manning has a low threshold so best to give him the opportunity to see if he has what it takes to kick ass and take names...I do hope Wellman departs in the near future. Would be the best for everyone if this transpires.

You give a coach 3 years to evaluate in almost any case. I think manning is going to be just fine. Wellman situation is going to take care of itself when he retires. His damage is done. He won't hire another major coach for wake forest.

I agree. Let it go. Pissing in the wind at this point.

Hope for the best but plan for the worse. Give Manning two years to see if there is a progress trend. After Bz, Manning has a low threshold so best to give him the opportunity to see if he has what it takes to kick ass and take names...I do hope Wellman departs in the near future. Would be the best for everyone if this transpires.

He's got the next two years of this 14-man sophomore class marginally improving. It's all about the recruits over the next three years.

Ok, Manning's our coach. No matter what you think of the hire or the process, he's either our underqualified jerk or super qualified future HOFer (depending on where you stand) now, so time to cheer him on.

But Ron, he's got to go. Two botched hirings in a row. He's toxic and our job is toxic because of him. He earns way too much money, places NCAA duties above his here at Wake, and he operates like a dinosaur in a day where sports are dominated by tech savvy folks.

So, who do we want? How much longer are we stuck with him? Will the boosters encourage him to move along now that this process is over?

Not yet, but if we have truly awful seasons in basketball and football next year, maybe.

I don't think Danny Manning is a botched hiring.

Dino/(redacted) were botched, I agree.

But the combo of sending Grobie away, getting a Dave Clawson and then correcting a mistake w/ a solid choice like Manning seem like good decisions to me.

WGAF. By far the most significant function of Wellmans job is to hire football and basketball coaches. RW will almost assuredly not be hiring another football or basketball coach. It really doesn't matter to me if he leaves in 2 months or 2 years. It's rumored that they're already planning for his retirement anyway.

I agree. Let it go. Pissing in the wind at this point.

He's one hell of an expensive piss. Whether these coaches work out or fail, I'd rather have a young, hungry AD take the job in the next year or two and get a couple years under his belt. He'll be better placed to either fire/hire if the need arises or take advantage of our success and turn it into upgrades of facilities, etc. If Wellman sticks around another 3-4 years, earning close to 7 figures, we could find ourselves in another position of needing to rid ourselves of an AD and a coach at the same time.

I disagree about letting it go. It won't be a quick transition because Wellman won't just be fired at the end of losing basketball season after 20+ years on the job. There needs to be pressure to get the transition started now so that we're not in another shitty situation 3-4 years from now.

Just hope there are no NBA coaches who endorse Manning. We know what happened the last time a coach was endorsed by a pro coach.

I don't think Danny Manning is a botched hiring.

Dino/(redacted) were botched, I agree.

But the combo of sending Grobie away, getting a Dave Clawson and then correcting a mistake w/ a solid choice like Manning seem like good decisions to me.

Go put a bar of Lifebuoy in your mouth.

He's one hell of an expensive piss. Whether these coaches work out or fail, I'd rather have a young, hungry AD take the job in the next year or two and get a couple years under his belt. He'll be better placed to either fire/hire if the need arises or take advantage of our success and turn it into upgrades of facilities, etc. If Wellman sticks around another 3-4 years, earning close to 7 figures, we could find ourselves in another position of needing to rid ourselves of an AD and a coach at the same time.

I disagree about letting it go. It won't be a quick transition because Wellman won't just be fired at the end of losing basketball season after 20+ years on the job. There needs to be pressure to get the transition started now so that we're not in another shitty situation 3-4 years from now.

No amount of moaning is going to put pressure on Wellman. He will leave when he decides it is time to leave. No way we run him out. Just reality.

Back