• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Coaching Search Thread

DeaconBrews, I'm good with whoever you choose. :D
I just wish that someday the Wake guys that are at Charlotte could get back "home."

Last edited:
The biggest favor Grobie did for us was doing this quickly. I don't expect Wellman to announce anything until next week. Sooner the better....

I just don't feel any confidence in Wellman's ability to do the right thing and make something good happen at this point. Basically, the fact that bzz was on one of his lists says it all. Bzz. Dismal career record, yet he's on RW's "list" that he updates annually. I shudder to think who's on his football list.

The Bz debacle could end up being a positive for Wellman's football coaching search. No matter how Wellman acts publicly, I am pretty confident that he feels the need to make a home run hire for football. He can't affortd to hire any chronies or take a chance on someone with an unproven track record. Plus, I am betting he feels like a great hire for football will take a little heat off of himself and Bz. Maybe just wishful thinking...

The Bz debacle could end up being a positive for Wellman's football coaching search. No matter how Wellman acts publicly, I am pretty confident that he feels the need to make a home run hire for football. He can't affortd to hire any chronies or take a chance on someone with an unproven track record. Plus, I am betting he feels like a great hire for football will take a little heat off of himself and Bz. Maybe just wishful thinking...

This was my initial thought as well. However, if Wellman knows he's going to be stepping down in the near future and there's no pressure from above to actually produce results, he may not care that he's under fire from a fan base that can't do anything to him.

Brad James ‏@BroncosItaly 4m
on Campus Insiders, the scuttlebutt was that Utah State coach Matt Wells could be the new head coach at Wake Forest, possibly

@BroncosItaly
I work in radio and am a proud Utahn. Mid-Utah Radio/Television is the greatest company of its kind in the world, proud Southern Utah alum GO T-BIRDS!
Manti, Utah

Definitely wouldn't be a bad hire, but also wouldn't be a great one.

wake20 -

Brad James ‏@BroncosItaly 4m
on Campus Insiders, the scuttlebutt was that Utah State coach Matt Wells could be the new head coach at Wake Forest, possibly

Nothing personal and this fellow may be a hidden gem but I'm just very wary how a guy like this is gonna be able to recruit totally different kids to Wake. Maybe just me but I've never heard of him and guessing a majority of folks East of the rockies haven't either....sorta like another fellow we know who worked out there:squint:

He's young and doesn't have much experience but he was born in Columbia, SC.

I like Chuckie Keeton a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was he the OC before this year?

Nevermind looked it up. Yeah he was the OC/QB coach who developed Keaton. Also a NAVY guy. Wellman loves him.

And google did not return any immediate wife pickles.

Last edited:
Was he the OC before this year?

Nevermind looked it up. Yeah he was the OC/QB coach who developed Keaton. Also a NAVY guy. Wellman loves him.

And google did not return any immediate wife pickles.

Is this his wife?

529ae7cc498ce.image.jpg

FWIW, Utah State lost to Utah (by 4), USC (by 3), BYU, and Boise St this year. They are playing Fresno State in the Mountain West championship game this Saturday.

Joe Garcia ‏@Joe_Garcia49 2m
Source: Utah State HC Matt Wells is on the verge of being Wake Forest new head coach.

@Joe_Garcia49
NFL Draft Analyst for NFLTradeRumors.co. Die-hard Arizona Diamondbacks fan.
San Diego, California

Wellman doesn't use the internet or read the papers. He uses his extensive network from his NCAA connections to network with other ADs and Coaches and to identify prospective coaches. He already has his list from the last time he updated it in January so he is hitting the ground running. Go Wellman!!

Well that strategy certainly paid huge dividends for our basketball program :rulz:.....

Back