• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Euro 2012 thread

Best barometer is current FIFA rankings. Top 7 teams got byes in SA. As of the end of the Euros that is 1 Spain 2 Germany 3 Uruguay 4 England 5 Portugal 6 Italy 7 Argentina. Netherlands just behind in 8th. I'd imagine those wouldn't change terribly much, since those teams should qualify pretty easily.

France is currently 14 and Mexico 19. Mex does have the Confed Cup which will be weighted double the Euros at the time of the WC draw, so maybe they can make a late charge. But playing stinky CONCACAF teams doesn't help

How the hell is England #4? FIFA corruption?

Nice to see Uruguay so high - hope they get a seed. And yes, I was guessing the abysmal weakness that is the rest of CONCACAF wasn't going to help Mexico. I'm betting that they're going to be in the group of death next WC with a Euro #1. Throw in an ascending Japan and a decent South American or African team.

Pace, dv7 and Sceamin. We've all been taken in by the overly zealous politically correct from time to time. There is nothing racist or derogatory about eating fried chicken, watermellon, or fried pork chops for that matter, or playing basketball. I, along with millions of other people world-wide, happen to like them all. And I'm white. Let's enjoy common sense and move on.

Pace, dv7 and Sceamin. We've all been taken in by the overly zealous politically correct from time to time. There is nothing racist or derogatory about eating fried chicken, watermellon, or fried pork chops for that matter, or playing basketball. I, along with millions of other people world-wide, happen to like them all. And I'm white. Let's enjoy common sense and move on.

You probably aren't any good at basketball then.

I have a ton of tremendous pics from this weekend, but I'm in a huge hurry (have to be on a flight to Kazakhstan in just a few hours) so here's just a few. Basically - it was incredible. 250,000+ in the Circo Massimo to watch their Azzurri. Vadtoy went from glamorous the night before to incoherently screaming her head off, blowing her "Mister Football (yes, that's a brand name)" air horn as loud as possible and drinking cheap wine straight from the bottle. Basically, just like everyone else in that sea of humanity. I've never been anywhere with that many people for any reason, and certainly never been in a crowd that big that cared about something that much. The game as a whole was a disappointment, but the experience was unbelievable.

vadtoy back in the land of "her people" and enjoying it

DSC00348.JPG

God knows how many people in the past 2,000+ years have walked this way heading to see sports - but it's mind boggling to think of it.

DSC00411.JPG

90 minutes before kickoff. I could barely move by this point already

DSC00543.JPG

Closing in on kickoff ...

DSC00567.JPG

Pirlo!!

DSC00570.JPG

The Italian National Anthem ... that's the screen there, somewhere. No way to see anything through the flares.

DSC00575.JPG

We got up out of the crowd towards the end of the match ... this the crowd from the back (there's another 2 screens ahead of these). It was staggeringly enormous. LaGazzetta said around half a million, others closer to 250,000. It was well beyond the point where I could even begin to guess how many.

DSC00586.JPG

Great pics Vad. I went to a free Bryan Adams/billy Joel concert in the same spot and I thought that was a lot people. ;)

Never admit to seeing Bryan Adams in person ever again.

Billy Joel is a fucking boss tho.

Iker Casillas has 79 clean sheets in 137 games for Spain. And is the first ever player to win 100 international matches.

Which of you idiots thought he should be dropped for Victor Valdes again?

The French Football Federation has opened disciplinary proceedings against Samir Nasri, Hatem Ben Arfa, Jérémy Ménez and Yann M'Vila for indiscipline at Euro 2012.

The federation also said that Didier Deschamps, who has just left his job at Marseille, had asked for more time to think about taking over from Laurent Blanc as the France coach.

Never admit to seeing Bryan Adams in person ever again.

Billy Joel is a fucking boss tho.

There's a reason I put "free" in there. Besides, seeing a free Adams/Joel concert in front of the coliseum with 50,000 Italians seemed like a fun idea. And, in spite of the idiots holding up Canadian flags throughout all of Bryan Adams' songs, it was a blast. I never would have paid to go to the concert, but I definitely don't regret going.

Iker Casillas has 79 clean sheets in 137 games for Spain. And is the first ever player to win 100 international matches.

Which of you idiots thought he should be dropped for Victor Valdes again?

I never once thought Casillas should be dropped from the national team for him, but Valdes was definitely better than Casillas for 2 or 3 seasons on club level

Back