• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

think about the names at the top of bc's list (amaker, mike hopkins) and think about the names that will be attached to vcu's job when shaka comes to wake. one of what would have been their probable leading candidates just took the freaking rice job.

bc is a better job than vcu

From the VCU Board:
I find it comical that outsiders are stumped. VCU gave a young unknown his first head coaching job. His goal is to create and nurture something special in RVA at VCU through hard work, loyalty and love of players. It is all coming together because he has a very talented team with the #15 recruiting class in the nation coming in. The Stu is one of the nation's best game day atmospheres and the community supports and loves him. Why leave to rebuild at another school? He is determined to win it all at VCU. Why not? Ha! He might leave one day but not now. The house that Shaka is building still does not have the roof and it needs some furnishings. I am not surprised that fans of these teams don't understand. They don't live in RVA and support VCU. They think VCU is a bunch of pikers. We all know what is going on and we know Coach Smart can do it it here. Let's Go VCU!

And I thought I was delusional...

Haha, I'm not negative, just factual. I am as positive as I can possibly be given what I determine to be the bare bones facts of the matter. Sorry.

Not really. You're speculating just like the rest of us.

They called out dv7 on the VCU boards, hold him back

WW-Hell-No-84353749801.jpeg

think about the names at the top of bc's list (amaker, mike hopkins) and think about the names that will be attached to vcu's job when shaka comes to wake. one of what would have been their probable leading candidates just took the freaking rice job.

bc is a better job than vcu

I suppose I was talking about it from the perspective of a young coach. Sorry to derail the thread.

The Shaka hopes are pretty much over I think, right? Wellman basically laid out that nothing was going to happen soon. It doesn't take Shaka that long to say yes. I think our future is still coaching.

Wellman basically said nothing. He said enough to make it so people don't go crazy after less than a week of searching and so he would as few questions as possible through the process. And it takes a lot longer to say yes than it does to say no to something like this.

I'll go with 3 simply because I'm not sure we even know for sure an offer has been made.

There have been several fairly reliable sources asserting that an offer has been made. If you aren't going to read the whole thread, go to RJ's thread.

The Richmond Times Dispatch article posted a few minutes ago is pretty definitive. We need to move on quickly and lock up Howland before Marquette does.

It is clearly not definitive. Several people have said why. Get outta here.

I've now heard from three people that VCU has let Shaka know that their bball budget has been extended as far as it can go. They can't offer anymore than what they've committed to him, his staff, and the program that what is already in the works now.

Of course, VCU could have never competed with us on a strictly level playing field, but I think this news spins things slightly.
His talking to us is not a negotiating point to get more money from VCU on that information.

This is good. Whether or not he was looking to get another raise out of this from VCU, that has to be a sobering moment to realize that the program you're at is already as big as it's going to get. Whether that means Shaka Smart is looking for more right now, who knows, but that is significant. They're essentially asking him to stay out of no more than loyalty at some point.

I've also heard, but from only 2 people so less reliable, that Coach Rhodes took the Rice job because he wasn't guaranteed the VCU job if/when Shaka left.

Bird in the hand > 2 in the bush and all that.

I always thought this was important when it happened. My initial instinct was if the head assistant bounced, the coaching staff relative to VCU is about to blow up and he was ready to make the jump to head coaching rather than (semi) start over at a new program. This makes even more sense if it wasn't clear he was getting the job at VCU. That's just less loyalty Shaka has to VCU, plus the new AD. Assuming all his assistant's will be straight on his new staff, he now only has loyalty to the president, the fans, and his players, which are all significant, but you'd think they would be supportive given everything he has brought to the program.
Alright...time to gauge everyone's confidence that Shaka comes here. Scale of 1-10. 10 its a lock; 1 he aint coming.

I say 5 because I have absolutely no idea.

6. I want to be cautious especially because we all need to look at how biased we are about how good of a job this is. That being said, it does offer some real advantages not yet seen by other schools that offered Smart.

We also have fairly reliable information that a formal offer was made, it was for enough money because it's been said that money isn't an issue and $3 million has been whispered, and that he hasn't turned it down yet, about two days after it was allegedly made. I think him saying no to Marquette, but not saying anything about Wake has to mean he is at least seriously considering it. And given how quickly he has turned down offers in the past, I get the impression that if he thinks he is staying at VCU, he knew all along in the back of his head at least and can turn down an offer. If he is giving this one serious consideration, that's really good. We've made it further than any other school to date it seems.

My only worry at this point is people won't even remember Wake was in contact with Shaka, and if we rejects us, no one will report it and no one will leak it at Wake.

On the other hand, because no one has said "Smart will remain at VCU" and our insiders keep saying we formally offered and people are optimistic, maybe we do have a chance. It's the LOWF in me. I'm just afraid to get excited because I'm afraid to get hurt.

It may not be reported by ESPN/CBS if Shaka called Wake, but there should be people on this board who are informed of that.

It may not be reported by ESPN/CBS if Shaka called Wake, but there should be people on this board who are informed of that.

That's what I'm trying to tell myself. Surely someone will have it on authority here that Shaka called Wellman and turned him down.

I also would like the media to remember we were reportedly also in talks, who I guess we have been so irrelevant recently they might not.

If we do land Shaka, the entire nation outside of NC or the ACC is going to be shocked.

Given Dan's article and the time frame that was given, it seems like Wellman has someone in mind who is still playing (and I fear that the Shaka talks have stalled/ended). While we have all been assuming it is Archie, is it possible that it is Johnny Dawkins? I mean on paper he is about the perfect Wellman hire. While Stanford is probably a better job than Wake, is it possible he just wants to get back to NC and the ACC, and if he can't get the Duke job, WFU would be the best alternative?

On Tuesday, if no word yet, get the whole board to go fire sale on twitter until Shaka is forced to answer publicly.

(Note: this is a terrible idea.)

That's what I'm trying to tell myself. Surely someone will have it on authority here that Shaka called Wellman and turned him down.

I also would like the media to remember we were reportedly also in talks, who I guess we have been so irrelevant recently they might not.

If we do land Shaka, the entire nation outside of NC or the ACC is going to be shocked.

Pretty sure all of NC & the ACC would be shocked, too

I'm going big-8.75.

Gotta believe in the brand that is Wake Forest. The hire of Clawson, & the subsequent excitement of the fan base after firing you know who, combined with our past successes spoken many times on these boards, are more than enough to sway SS.

Add to that the Power 5, competing against K, Roy, Boeheim, & Pitino, $3 mil, & great academic institution and he is coming!

Just happen to be headed to W-S in the morning. Would love nothing more than to drop in on an official announcement.

Rolling the quad again definitely needs to happen! Admin needs to understand the passion! If by some chance it happens tomorrow, I'm there!!

Given Dan's article and the time frame that was given, it seems like Wellman has someone in mind who is still playing (and I fear that the Shaka talks have stalled/ended). While we have all been assuming it is Archie, is it possible that it is Johnny Dawkins? I mean on paper he is about the perfect Wellman hire. While Stanford is probably a better job than Wake, is it possible he just wants to get back to NC and the ACC, and if he can't get the Duke job, WFU would be the best alternative?

Dawkins was getting fired if he failed to make the NCAA's this year. He has saved his job for a year but overall has done a terrible, terrible job with one of the best programs on the West Coast.

Back