• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

Makes sense. They're going to need to get somebody with less cache than White and home they can grow with the job and want to stay. Masiello would have been such a good fit.

That's a reasonable guess. Just not sure why anybody would be in Dan's ear about "swinging for the fences" if Archie is the current end game. Maybe Dan got some Donovan/Izzo type hype but I doubt he would have run with it.

maybe deman's guy is also dan's guy

Other than the fact that they don't need to...
This. Neither VCU nor Smart need release an "official" anything. The only school that was reported to have offered him their job was Marquette, and it's already been reported that Smart turned them down. That's that.

If that were the case, it makes no sense for Shaka and VCU to have not released some sort of official statement as I've believe they've done in past years.

There is nothing to announce in this scenario. Wellman gauged Shaka's interest. Wellman runs a tight ship and doesn't make a shitshow of his coaching search so Shaka doesn't have to make any sort of announcement to reject an offer that was plastered all over the internet.

Few's track record is longer, so I guess I could see how some might think he's a bigger get, but would definitely prefer Shaka. He's younger, has coached 7 seasons in the region (2 as an assistant at Clemson, 5 at VCU), would really shake up the culture (in a way that's direly needed), and has had similar results in tougher conferences.

Dan's article also confirms that he hasn't heard that Skaka said no to Wake yet. Same with the ACCsports article.

There is nothing to announce in this scenario. Wellman gauged Shaka's interest. Wellman runs a tight ship and doesn't make a shitshow of his coaching search so Shaka doesn't have to make any sort of announcement to reject an offer that was plastered all over the internet.

Then you can bank on every single coach he is recruiting against letting players know that he's gone, regardless of the validity.

Few's track record is longer, so I guess I could see how some might think he's a bigger get, but would definitely prefer Shaka. He's younger, has coached 7 seasons in the region (2 as an assistant at Clemson, 5 at VCU), would really shake up the culture (in a way that's direly needed), and has had similar results in tougher conferences.
Agreed; Smart is definitely preferable. For one he's already done what Few never has (make a Final Four), has spent his entire coaching career on the east coast (as opposed to Oregon and Spokane, WA), and is roughly 15 years younger. Few would be great and would definitely make waves, but give me Shaka every time.

You're simply wrong.

111235.gif

Then you can bank on every single coach he is recruiting against letting players know that he's gone, regardless of the validity.

Yeah, but that only works for a few weeks until coaching stuff settles down.

Other than the fact that they don't need to...

This. Neither VCU nor Smart need release an "official" anything. The only school that was reported to have offered him their job was Marquette, and it's already been reported that Smart turned them down. That's that.

You're simply wrong.

This might be a good point except VCU has gone through this same situation the past three years and each of those years there has been some sort of statement announcing that Shaka was staying at VCU.

Agreed; Smart is definitely preferable. For one he's already done what Few never has (make a Final Four), has spent his entire coaching career on the east coast (as opposed to Oregon and Spokane, WA), and is roughly 15 years younger. Few would be great and would definitely make waves, but give me Shaka every time.

Few is obviously a very good coach (15 straight tournament appearances, 11/15 tournament titles, 13/15 regular season titles), but, much like Stevens, he doesn't strike me as the kind of change agent Wake basketball needs.

That's not a big deal. The 2014 signing period starts on April 16 and ends on May 21. This will all be sorted out by April 16, so there isn't much to gain telling a recruit "Don't go to VCU because Smart is leaving." That will be proven or disproven before the first signing day. If he is still at VCU by then, the recruits will think the other coach telling him Smart was leaving was full of it and the recruit will be extra confident that Smart won't leave in that recruits tenure.

I do think to an extent that getting our hopes up about Shaka has kind of shifted our perception about what would be a good hire over the course of this week.

guys chill out on other coaches. shaka is the target.

I do think to an extent that getting our hopes up about Shaka has kind of shifted our perception about what would be a good hire over the course of this week.
A few weeks ago we were discussing the merits of Toledo guy, Lonerdonk, and Russell fucking Turner. Christ.

I don't get me wrong, Few would be a fantastic get.

Back