• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

Not sure if Mack was ever pursued due to the "clean break" philosophy.

http://www.businessinsider.com/coll...and-smart-2014-3#16-wake-forest-university-10

We have hotter students; look at these studs

16-wake-forest-university.jpg

At least warn us next time you post something like this

It's a stupid discussion. We don't know for sure what the other candidates said, or who we talked to, or who we seriously offered. We do know that we're almost certainly hiring Danny Manning. Because his hiring is likely imminent, we're not allowed to grade the hire?

Well, isn't this whole thread stupid then?

What is the meaning of life? People don't really freakin' know but they still talk and argue about it. Humans talk. This is what we do. This was fun, ya gotta admit. Beats trying to analyze why [Redacted] did or didn't call a timeout right?

If his name was pushed by CP3 and TD as some have suggested, then he might have been higher on the list.

Seriously, if for some reason Manning turns us down does that make Russell Turner the next option?......:tear:

The Manning hire is a C- or a C as we stand here today. Just absolutely nothing inspired about the hire itself.

That said, I hope he pays off in the future as he seems to be a high risk/high reward coach based on him having very limited experience, but a lot of intangibles that could lead to him doing well as a coach.

I can get behind this.

Hell yeah, I wanted Shaka or Marshall, but count me #ManUp. At least he is one who can be named. That's a plus. And he could take he who cannot be named to the hoop, or just outright whup his ass, so there's that.

What do we do with the extra $1.5 million? How does Ronnie feel about billboards?

The Wellman situation is going to resolve itself. Unfortunately, we'll have to deal with him for the next two or three years, but he'll be gone after that.

If we got turned down by Miller or especially White...wtf does that say about how the Wake job is viewed in coaching circles.

I think it says more about Wellman than it does WFU. It says the Dino firing pretty much ruined his chances of any legitimate coach wanting to have him as a boss. Hatch & Co should have realized this with the [Redacted] hiring and made a change before this coaching search. In hindsight, [Redacted] may have been the only coach that would listen 4 years ago and took the job to help Wellman out of the pickle he created.

Looks like we're finally seeing WHY [Redacted] was hired in the first place.

It is interesting that most outside of the admittedly biased view that we have, see this as a pretty good hire from what I can tell.

I am in the camp that thinks he will do a good job here. He is not a Shaka or Marshall type coach, but I think he will prove to be a good hire for Wake (should it occur).

It's sad that there is a headline that says Tulsa or Wake though. While I don't necessarily blame Ron Wellman if he reached out to all the big time candidates and they said no, it is certainly his fault that the program is viewed like it is by those big names. No way around that one.

One of the more reasonable posts on this thread. I personally can't help but feel a little disappointed by the idea of Manning being our coach. And mainly because of the way Hatch and Wellman talked up this 'big splash' hire and 'swinging for the fences' to make it happen. If they weren't proof positive they were going to land a coach that would fit with either description, then they should have just shut up. Now this is viewed by the media, the fan base, alumni and current/future players as a fallback option.

If his name was pushed by CP3 and TD as some have suggested, then he might have been higher on the list.

Who suggested this? One person on the old board? This seems like a complete fabrication. I have no doubt the guys might support the hire, but I seriously doubt CP3 and TD were calling RW telling him to hire Danny Manning.

only logical position is #ManUp #WellmanOut.

Objectively there are things on Manning's resume that indicate a potential for success that just weren't there for [Redacted], regardless of how many people deluded themselves four years ago. On top of that Manning seems like a genuinely good guy. I'll be at the Joel for every game next year hoping he can turn this ship around.

However, this is a horrible hire. One of Mack or Miller was certainly available for the right price. Given the position of our program relative to 4 years ago they would have come at a premium, but I refuse to believe they both said flat out NO to Wake Forest.

Given what he did to the program over the last 4 years, Wellman should have severely overpaid one of those two vs. taking a risk on Manning. No amount of success for Manning will change the fact that Ron Wellman should no longer be employed at Wake Forest.

This could even be another illustration of Wellman needing to be the smartest guy in the room, to show that he can still pick 'em better than the rest, even if he fucked up on the last one. If it pans out, that's ok, but it doesn't make the hire better and it doesn't make it ok that Wellman is gambling with the Wake Forest Basketball program because he botched the hire or wouldn't bend to do the right thing for the school.

I can get behind Manning, but I can't feel comfortable with this hire given the position we're in, teetering on the cliff of falling out of the ACC or rising back to a major player (which I think could realistically be Manning's ceiling depending on how the first couple years pan out, which is encouraging compared to Mack who I think some would agree had a much lower ceiling).

Back