• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

Yep, TD & CP3 I'll give the benefit of the doubt, but I'm hesitant to heed any other famous-people promos (what was the phrase RW used in the presser? intelligent basketball people?) that RW may foist upon us like he did with [redacted]. If Manning is good, and I think he could be, let him prove it in the presser and on the court.

AASSH.gif

I don't think you fully get the term "swing for the fences." It's a high risk, high reward proposition. Not getting the best coaches is a very realistic outcome. Accept that our current coaching job, despite paying a ridiculous salary, is just not as hot as we wish it was. Our program is basically on life support right now and coaches know it. However, we all know all it will take is a good leader to be great again.
Let's hope Manning takes the job because I'm quite sure he's the best that we can hope for at this point.

Hopefully Clawson met him at the plane and is recruiting him right now. "If they visit they will come here".

Was [Redacted] ever an assistant coach on a Danny Manning team? Wonder what [Redacted] thinks about how this is all unfolding?

What is the closest thing we've ever had to a "home run" hire in any sport at the time the hiring was made?

Hopefully Clawson met him at the plane and is recruiting him right now. "If they visit they will come here".

Got to be a thrill for Clawson. I imagine he grew up watching Manning play.

Was Odom a tier A coaching prospect? Was Skip?

No. There were doubters for both. There will always be fans who would rather have someone else. Only time will tell if this was a great,good,average or bad hire.

History of non-stop success? Do you even know what he did on the bench at Kansas, for how long and to what results? I don't. I don't think many do. The articles that OGB posted were inconclusive at best.

Your subjective opinion is fine, but you're stretching the evidence and it's disingenuous. If you think Manning is a good hire, then he's a good hire in spite of a resume with more holes than swiss cheese.

He was a college assistant for a major program that did very well, and he receives a lot of the credit for that success by those involved. He turned that assistant run at Kansas into a very nice first head coaching gig at Tulsa (where he overachieved in both seasons). I call that success, yes, even without having videotape of KU practices. I can't imagine anyone arguing that he wasn't successful in that KU gig. Based on what?

This is what bothers me: I get, see, and understand the risk of this hire. We're going on a very small sample size of actual head coaching experience, despite all the positive intangibles. This could go badly. Point conceded. But there is also a strong argument to be made, from his resume/background/makeup/whatever-term-you-like, that he's likely to be successful. One more tourney run next year, and he'd be looked at for every BCS job that opens up (beyond a select handful). I just don't get the extremely aggressive negative viewpoint that Manning is some crazy shot in the dark, when he profiles like and up-and-comer. I don't get why some here can't be like, "it's risky yeah, and I wanted another guy, but I could also see him as working out. He's done well so far."

I guess different strokes, and all that. I just happen to believe that this guy might be the one to get us back on track. Blast away.

SayHey's been a big proponent of the "Largest Penis in the ACC" appeal of Manning. I sincerely doubt our AD will be pushing that.

I don't know. If the consensus is that Manning could be a great catch, I could see Wellman being thrilled with catching the "Largest Penis in the ACC", especially compared to the consistent letdown of [Redacted].

What is the closest thing we've ever had to a "home run" hire in any sport at the time the hiring was made?

Good question. Probably Clawson coming off a conference championship.

Out of curiosity, what kind of system does Manning run? Do his teams excel on one end of the floor or the other?

Back