• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

We would be providing a philanthropic service, save money, get and (most importantly) hire a better coach. Win, win, win. Sadly, such strategic thinking is not found among our Athletic Department.

This is EXACTLY what Frank Underwood would do (and analogous to what he did for Peter Russo).

I'm in. Plus, he'd then be a Wake alum, so maybe we'd be able to hold on to him.

If you are unsure whether to stay with the familiar or jump to the unfamiliar, you are going to stay with the familiar 75% of the time. If he is unsure at this point - after visiting and talking with Wake folks - he should stay at Tulsa.

Totally

Gonna play out like I said. Says yes. Lots of interviews in Dallas this weekend in front of friendly press. Winston on Tuesday or Wednesday

I don't think anyone has an appreciation for just how bad Ben Howland's reputation is among coaches re: NCAA compliance. Was rated the dirtiest coach in basketball during his last year at UCLA by an ESPN anonymous survey of coaches. We were not going down that road.
Talk about culture problems... His days at ucla

What does a selection chair have to do after the field had already been selected

I asked that question 2 weeks ago. Once the seeds are announced the committee's job is done. F**k all this glad handing, PR, sitting at court side, etc esp when you have a real job that requires immediately attention. Talk about the good, ole boy's network in action.....:rulz:

I asked that question 2 weeks ago. Once the seeds are announced the committee's job is done. F**k all this glad handing, PR, sitting at court side, etc esp when you have a real job that requires immediately attention. Talk about the good, ole boy's network in action.....:rulz:

The whole bit about his being head of the NCAA tournament being good for Wake has been a complete sham. Well respected, my d*ck.

The whole bit about his being head of the NCAA tournament being good for Wake has been a complete sham. Well respected, my d*ck.

Exactly, the timing was just awful for us. Talk about Bozo the Clown and his crew.....

I don't think anyone has an appreciation for just how bad Ben Howland's reputation is among coaches re: NCAA compliance. Was rated the dirtiest coach in basketball during his last year at UCLA by an ESPN anonymous survey of coaches. We were not going down that road.

I bet you are absolutely right about that. Go back and listen to the firing presser. RW was asked about culture and "winning the right way" going forward. His entire answer was predicated on compliance, as if there wasn't anything else to the culture issues. I think he was intentionally pre-empting anyone who would suggest some one like Howland or any other coach with a history of NCAA questions.

Gonna play out like I said. Says yes. Lots of interviews in Dallas this weekend in front of friendly press. Winston on Tuesday or Wednesday

Not surprising even if its a chicken shit maneuver. Ron gets a lot of outsiders to say how its a great hire and then he continues his history of treating the actual fan like a second class citizen who he doesn't really give two shits about.

I don't think anyone has an appreciation for just how bad Ben Howland's reputation is among coaches re: NCAA compliance. Was rated the dirtiest coach in basketball during his last year at UCLA by an ESPN anonymous survey of coaches.

Worth it.

What does a selection chair have to do after the field had already been selected

Pad his ego.

bros gotta hobnob... or is that shlob the knob?

seriously though he's in the big D after giving Wake fans the big D for the last 4 years. may as well keep it up.

you gotta think there is a wave of laughter preceding and following him around all those events.

"hey guys! what's so funny?"
"nothing ron. great to see you." "yeah, how's the... uh ... search going? <chuckle chuckle>
"oh, hey... that's my portable phone. have you seen these? see it fits right in my pocket right like this. i should answer it... it's probably about our... home run hire. keep it close to the vest i always say... ok i'll see you later..."

I'm calling Yahtzee on this. He was coach there for 10 years. No doubt there was controversy around, but he, as a coach, was never implicated in any wrong doing. Welcome to Los Angeles. As for pissing off AAU coaches, who cares. When was the last time that a West Coast player landed in Winston?

The part of this whole process that I cannot get past is Ron's apparent failure to place our University and his employer ahead of the NCAA in priority for his time and attention. I have had a strong sense that this has been the case for an extended period of time and it was being substantiated through the performance of all of our sports, not just football and basketball. We had fallen off the map in most sports including the ones we have traditionally and recently faired very well. This was telling me that the leadership and direction of our athletic department was lacking or at the least its leader was distracted.

I had hoped this issue had been resolved by the Clawson hire and that Ron was back and fully engaged. I am beginning to believe this was simply luck in that there were two very good candidates extremely interested in the job, making the selection process easy.

In looking at this entire basketball process which includes the delayed firing/resignation; the disjointed initial efforts to sell Shaka; the long distance style recruitment and interviewing process; and now the fact that Ron has to squeeze a visit with a potential hire between NCAA trips, leave him alone after only a few hours on campus for an IMG meeting this morning and flight back to Tulsa, and the most recent reports that nothing can be done because Ron is in Dallas; it is painfully obvious that his priorities are severly skewed. Honestly, I cannot understand how he is getting away with this type of treatment of such an important hire. If I were to ignore my primary responsibilites in this fashion there is no way I could survive.

If I am off base with these conclusions, someone please set me straight. However, looking at this process from my vantage point I cannot begin to accept the manner in which he has chosen to prioritize his time and attention, and it is looking more and more like we may suffer big time as a result.

This is exactly what I posted several days ago. I'm sure he's having more fun as the BMOC at the NCAA's, but Wake Forest should have been his priority all along and it most clearly has not been and is not even today in the midst of this embarrassing and stressful circus. When [Redacted] was not fired within 24 hours of our last game he showed all his cards (which were not really hidden in the first place.) Your analysis is dead on, as I outlined days ago. Agree 100+%!

If we have to overpay just to try to return our program to a decent standard, the question is will donors bite their tongues and step up to do it, thereby appearing to validate RW's actions, or refuse to step up as they've done before, thereby leaving us in a worse place financially.

My guess is the former, because there are probably still a lot of donors who genuinely trust RW. But either way, it is not good for the university we love.

yeah this road's a lot better

Back