• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

I'm so confused by this statement.

We need a large majority of our fanbase to be completely behind this hire. Manning isn't going to do that. Most people won't be ManningOUT so to speak, but they're not going to blindly be ManningIN either. He wouldn't bring the excitement we need.

Sometimes the biggest payoffs come with the craziest of risks. I think we as battered fans are just scared shitless by the proposition of taking a calculated risk like Danny Manning at such a low-point in the school's BB history.

Where are the posters who experienced Wake fandom during the mid to late 80s? How many of y'all expected a HR hire? Were you skeptical of Odom or heartened by the fact he worked under Terry Holland at a great program like UVa? Much like Manning under Self at Kansas.

Last edited:
We need a large majority of our fanbase to be completely behind this hire. Manning isn't going to do that. Most people won't be ManningOUT so to speak, but they're not going to blindly be ManningIN either. He wouldn't bring the excitement we need.

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification.

Sometimes the biggest payoffs come with the craziest of risks. I think we as battered fans are just scared shitless by the proposition of taking a calculated risk like Danny Manning at such a low-point in the school's BB history.

Where are the posters who experienced Wake fandom during the mid to late 80s? How many of y'all expected a HR hire? We're you skeptical of Odom or heartened by the fact he worked under Terry Holland at a great program like UVa? Much like Manning under Self at Kansas.

Odom had been an assistant at Wake before and had head coaching experience at ECU.

I love how people are so quick to assume someone will be a good coach because they just recognize the name.

Same way with Larue, Muggsy, Childress etc.

2 years HC experience is NOT ENOUGH for any Wake Forest coaching gig...period...end of story. Talk yourself into the hire all you want, but Manning would be a terrible hire in terms of the short-term or immediate impact on the fans/media.

I'm still holding out hope for a big hire, but the way things are going, it doesn't seem good.

Odom had been an assistant at Wake before and had head coaching experience at ECU.

Ya, I know. And DM has two years at Tulsa. Wasn't Odom very mediocre at ECU?

ETA: Odom was a very pedestrian 38-42 during his time at ECU. I don't see how this is a bad comparison.

Last edited:
More importantly (IAppreciateIt), how does this look with Manning's face, or better yet, the BK King?

corch-1.png

I've talked candidates with 10-12 Wake alum friends in the real world, and everyone seemed pretty agreeable to Manning, should Miller/Shaka/Marshall not work out. A few liked Howland, but all were generally okay with a Manning hire. Then I came on here, where the idea is being treated like the Ebola virus. Most Wake people I talk to are just happy the old coach is gone and ready for a real one to step in. They're not going to be "disappointed" with Manning. Wanted Shaka? Sure. But we just sucked hard for four years, it seems like a stretch that we'd get the absolute best coach candidate possible, and a hot mid-major coach with significant upside -- who, importantly, seems like he could recruit -- makes perfect sense in this context. At least to me.

Maybe it's a small sample size, but I'm pretty surprised by the tone here.

It's sort of like you think you are going to date Scarjo. Penelope Cruz or a 30 yo Morgan Fairchild and end up with Mary-Louise Parker. MLP is cute but she ain't what you expected. Maybe she grows on you after the disappointment ends.

Somebody talk me into Tim Miles. He seems to have the closest background to Clawson. 47 years old with almost 20 years of head coaching experience at some tough stops. Only 4 losing seasons. A D-II Elite Eight and two NCAAT appearances with no wins.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Miles

Unless it's an April Fool's Joke, Summit's son just got hired as the new Louisiana Tech women's head coach. He's 23.

Manning is a midwest guy, he's playing for a Big 10 or Big 12 job. We've got to think that we gave Shaka an onerous contract and they are reworking. Wellman brought in Manning as a stalking horse, gotta keep Shaka honest. You guys need to relax, they've got a lot to work out (who is Smart bringing with him, where does Jeff Battle play in the assistant equation?)

Don't see any updates on the digest thread, so I assume we're still at DEFCON 2 regarding Danny Manning?

Back