• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

He has credibility and respect AS A PLAYER...he has neither as a coach. I am a great sales guy. The best in my company....I have tons of respect and credibility. There is no chance I would get hired to be the CEO.

You're doing a great job Brownie.

He'll probably turn us down anyway, so we should relax. The Wake job isn't everything most of you board members would like to portray it as. Losing team, logjams with available scholarships, a fan base that is splintered and vicious, tough academics. There aren't a lot of Skip Prossers out there.

"Vicious" fan base ? LOL redacted would NEVER have gotten 4 years if it weren't for Ronny refusing to acknowledge he made a mistake.

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Embrace The Suck

Massive gamble but I'll give him a chance as long as he says the right things.

He took a team predicted at the bottom of his conference in his 1st head coaching gig and won the conference title in year 2. What amorphous standard are you using regarding credibility and respect as a head caoch. The opinion of the donks on this board? LOL

Sounds like a good start. Not the resume of a coach in the best basketball conference in America. You would have to be blind to not see he is VASTLY under-qualified for this job.

That being said he MAY work out and be a great coach. God know I hope so.

If indeed this does happen, everyone who is pissed about it needs to take a moment, go into a dark closet and scream into a pillow or something, and then emerge a better person and be willing to support the guy who is the next coach. Enough of this billboard era bullshit.

Completely agree with this. I hate that we all had to suffer through 4 years of [Redacted] and I hate that this search process has been a giant clown car, but this is still the new face of our beloved basketball program we're talking about. If it's Manning, then that's who I'll support.

Players liked manning
Thomas Robinson will be the ninth. Robinson, a junior forward, is expected to announce his intention to enter the NBA Draft after this season.

“What he did for my career, I can’t even explain how much he raised my game,” Robinson said.

Another of Manning’s projects is Jeff Withey. He entered this season with a 2.0 career scoring average and now averages 9.2 points heading into Saturday’s game. Also, Withey was chosen Big 12 defensive player of the year and averages 3.5 blocks per game.

Much of the credit, Withey said, goes to Manning.

“He’s meant so much to me, and it’s going to be sad to see him go,” Withey said. “He gave me a lot of confidence. Every day we work with him, we get up shots with him. He works with our footwork, post moves, tricks we can use. He’ll definitely be missed.”

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/03/29/3521978/danny-manning-gets-tulsa-job.html#storylink=cpy

Yes and a plane on its way to Tulsa. The same plane Wellman used when he hired Clawson.

Maybe it's a decoy. Fake everyone into thinking it's DM when in fact Marshall is meeting them at TUL because it would be too obvious if the plane went to ICT.:willynilly:

And that's the problem. Manning MAY get you somewhere, or he MAY completely flop. Coming off the past 4 years, you simply cannot RISK it. You need to re-establish the program, get it back to relevancy. If Mack's ceiling is the sweet 16 then you let him get us there over the next 4-5 years and you upgrade the coach once the program is once again viewed as a quality position. If Manning wiffs like apparently Wellman has, where do we go in the future for our coaching hires? Forsyth Tech? I mean, we're already bidding with Tulsa this go around.

this

manning might be great. but you can't hire a might in this condition. you need a savior.

I agree that if Manning is the hire, he needs to be given a fair shot by the fans. If he is the next coach, hopefully he will immediately work at engaging with the fans and students to start building up some positive momentum for the program. Like it or not, the bar has been set much lower for Wake basketball because of the [Redacted] error, so an early season loss next year to a poor OOC team could happen. That won't be an immediate sign that Manning is a terrible coach, just an indicator of how far the program has fallen. Manning is probably eighth or ninth on my list of viable coaching candidates, but if it happens, I will hope for the best.

My favorite thing about Manning is that he's a winner. He's been successful in pretty much everything he's done. Polar opposite of [Redacted]. Will this translate to ACC wins? Nobody knows.

He took a team predicted at the bottom of his conference in his 1st head coaching gig and won the conference title in year 2. What amorphous standard are you using regarding credibility and respect as a head caoch. The opinion of the donks on this board? LOL

"Upside and Potential" are the definition of an "amorphous standard."

How about winning over a good amount of years and actual number of years as a HC coach as part of the standard.

I mean who would not want to coach Basketball at Wake. It has a great history!

Oh yeah, the fans are complete idiots, obviously not all, but a very vocal minority, and yes you are a minority. They purchase billboards and newspaper ads to show their support for the University. Oooops, they do exactly the opposite. You dumbshits RedSoxFaithful and the Strattons certainly do not make this job more appealing. I would hope that you would go cheer for another team you fat pieces of shit. Have a nice day!

One guarantee: Devin will be put in line by December, so we don't have to hear any more whining.

Sounds like a good start. Not the resume of a coach in the best basketball conference in America. You would have to be blind to not see he is VASTLY under-qualified for this job.

That being said he MAY work out and be a great coach. God know I hope so.

VASTLY? No. Many ACC coaches are hired after a successful stint at a mid major. We were talking about Archie Miller who has been a head coach a whopping one more year as Manning.

I mean who would not want to coach Basketball at Wake. It has a great history!

Oh yeah, the fans are complete idiots, obviously not all, but a very vocal minority, and yes you are a minority. They purchase billboards and newspaper ads to show their support for the University. Oooops, they do exactly the opposite. You dumbshits RedSoxFaithful and the Strattons certainly do not make this job more appealing. I would hope that you would go cheer for another team you fat pieces of shit. Have a nice day!

wow kelly i in fact hope your day is shitty.

Home runs are nice, but some times you need to shorten your swing, hit a nice double to the opposite field, and advance the runners.

Hire Howland. Yes he is older. Yes his upside might not be as high. He would be a splashier hire though and he likely gets us back to the Sweet 16 and the media would love the hire. He's stated he wanted the job!

Howland would be an incredible hire. The dude can coach, no matter what happened at UCLA.

Back