• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

This whole thread was amazing. Most of you actually thought Wellman could get this done. Dino was right, Wake is the 13th best job in the ACC, below VT.
Until the entire leadership is replaced, Wake will not get any better.

I also want to add... Wellman still failed to bring in his #1 target and failed miserably as it took up a lot of time and resources to only get a "no." But he did go all out.

He also failed on his #2, #3, #4 and probably #5 targets. Wellman will try to spin this, of course, but he failed in this coaching search. Failed spectacularly.

this

The only difference in the way that Wellman went about this coaching search compared to the last coaching search is that he convinced us that he was all but bringing back a home run candidate. Nothing else was different. He clearly didn't learn his lesson with [Redacted] and he thinks that he can handle these tasks on his own. It just makes me so angry. I'm not going to hate on Manning for it because it isn't his fault. But when is enough enough?

Yeah I really don't know what's a better sale:

1. "I coached Carmelo Anthony in the NBA for a year or two and know what it takes to get you to that level"

Or

2. "Back in the 80's I was the National Player of the Year and then made it 10-15 years in the NBA before working under Coach Self at Kansas for a few years"

They're debatable. I'll go with 3:

3. I've been to three Final Fours, have won everywhere I've coached, and many of my players are considered among the Top 10 in the NBA. Let me have Kevin Love tweet at you.

How do you get rejected by a guy that says "back up the brinks truck?" He literally told us to pay him and he'd come. How did we manage to fuck that up

Because he can't recruit JuCos at Wake maybe?

Its at least somewhat of a good sign that Tulsa fans all seem to like him. Probably means he doesn't have Assburglars

The issue I have with Manning is that he's very similar to a hire like Orlando Antigua with the exception that Manning has two years as a head coach at Tulsa.

Antigua is a well-known recruiter, a tenacious and inspiring guy, and will likely be successful at USF. It's a high risk, high reward type hire in that you're not entirely sure what you're going to get but there is tremendous upside.

It's really sad that guys like Mike White don't want to coach at Wake.
Shaka I can understand.
Archie stings but he is the hot new coach.
Mike White???

I seriously doubt White will ever take a job in the ACC as long as papa bear is the AD at Duke.

rj wouldn't have backed wake hiring gary williams in 2010 because he pissed off all the AAU crooks in baltimore/dc

everybody else would have loved gary williams

and it begins. buy tickets, go to games, support the team.

don't give money to wake will until wellman is gone and tell them why.

Are you insane? High school kids don't know Danny Manning. They know everything about Carmleo Anthony. This is absurd.

Their dads know who he is. And when the kid finds out Danny Manning walked in their shoes and then became a coach, it's another world from saying "I coached X".

If anyone besides me posted, "I was the #1 player in the country. I was the Wooden Award Winner. I was the #1 pick in the NBA draft. I was an NBA All Star. I was an assistant coach on a National Championship team. I became a HC and took my team to The Dance" , NO RATIONAL poster would try to equate that to "I coached Carmelo Anthony in the NBA."

Just ONCE be honest.

1. I think I'll wait to see if Danny Manning is really our next coach.
2. Then I'll wait to see what Pat Riley says about it.

No way to compare the recruiting ability of a young-ish black HC with 15 years in the NBA and Kansas recruiting connections vs fucking white cracker-milquetoast Bzz saying he coached Melo for 2 years

Their dads know who he is. And when the kid finds out Danny Manning walked in their shoes and then became a coach, it's another world from saying "I coached X".

If anyone besides me posted, "I was the #1 player in the country. I was the Wooden Award Winner. I was the #1 pick in the NBA draft. I was an NBA All Star. I was an assistant coach on a National Championship team. I became a HC and took my team to The Dance" , NO RATIONAL poster would try to equate that to "I coached Carmelo Anthony in the NBA."

Just ONCE be honest.

what about the ones without dads

Back