• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

I took logic. Does not pass. Twitter? Seriously?

Seriously. If he told his players he was leaving, certainly at least one would have said something on Twitter. People can't take a shit these days without tweeting about it, you don't think someone would have mentioned that their coach was leaving?

All these posts about firing Wellman before hiring a new coach ... it isn't going to happen. Wasn't it just last week that we were ridiculing Marquette for trying to land a big-name coach without an AD or a President? Coaches don't typically take jobs where they don't know who their boss will be. That said, RW's handling of [Redacted] and this coaching search have probably put potential candidates on notice that Wellman's days are numbered - so same effect. They don't know who their boss would be in a year and so they're leery about accepting the Wake position.

I think a huge reason why we're down to option #5 or #6 may be because RW only has 2-3 years left. So you're going to leave your current job for a place with extra recruiting limits and a shaky boss who could be gone in two years? Which means you could be in the middle of rebuilding, only to have a new AD sweep you out for their guy.

This is such a mess. Even if Manning turns out to be the greatest coach in WF history, this whole process has been totally bungled.

I remember when Mack was a good poster who would post a daily digest of wfu news stories on the boards, especially during the 2006 football run. Wtf happened?

Nothing. Just don't accept bull crap with nothing to back it up. Wake Forest taught me that.

As long as Manning agrees it looks like a run of the mill coaching search. Nobody outside of Wake fans thought we had much of a chance at Shaka/Marshall.

As this fiasco seems to be drawing to a close I just want to thank all of those who've been providing the board with scoops. While some of the scoops might not always have been 100% accurate, I know you all tried your best.

Indeed! I know it seems like sometimes we are never satisfied or too cynical or too whatever, but we really do appreciate those who come here to give us #SCOOOOPS!!!

I say this like it's my message board or something, but despite what some folks may think, there is a lot of worthwhile and keen discussion here and it wouldn't be nearly as delicious without our insider scoopers!!

Thanks!

All these posts about firing Wellman before hiring a new coach ... it isn't going to happen. Wasn't it just last week that we were ridiculing Marquette for trying to land a big-name coach without an AD or a President? Coaches don't typically take jobs where they don't know who their boss will be. That said, RW's handling of [Redacted] and this coaching search have probably put potential candidates on notice that Wellman's days are numbered - so same effect. They don't know who their boss would be in a year and so they're leery about accepting the Wake position.

Possibly, but I think trustworthiness and expectations have to be of more significance at this point. Any serious candidate has to either know or have an agent or someone doing research about why we are where we are and how the AD spin over the years simply wasn't believable. In my opinion, a serious candidate that has to start rebuilding now and have another rebuild to do 2 years from now would more likely want to know if he can trust the man before worrying about how long he'll be here.

would not surprise me in the slightest if Manning is negotiating with both schools for academic exceptions and control. Manning is worth a reported $7 million so I doubt the differences in money will influence his decision.

How any coach that has any grit about himself would choose Tulsa in the CUSA over Wake on Tobacco Road I have no clue

would not surprise me in the slightest if Manning is negotiating with both schools for academic exceptions and control. Manning is worth a reported $7 million so I doubt the differences in money will influence his decision.

How any coach that has any grit about himself would choose Tulsa in the CUSA over Wake on Tobacco Road I have no clue

Careful, we said this about SHAKA too

unless it's about running the program the way he wants...

Manning has the stature with his name and previous accomplishments to weather any change in AD. Make it a big buyout for both sides if he is really worried about that.

Do well and he will probably have input along with Clawson on who the next AD is.

Of course our next AD may very well be Mike Buddie who helped Wellman with the football process (which went superbly well). No clue how much Buddie is involved in this one.

You just said a possible answer... Academics? I mean maybe he's worried he can't recruit how he wants at Wake and the money isn't worth the risk of Bzdeliking his career for some immediate money and exposure.

cunt-gif.24139

The very fact that we're in a bidding war against Tulsa for Danning Manning should be evidence enough. If that's not enough, the fact that we ended up with Bzfailure 4 years ago should prove it. If coaches WANTED to work for Wellman, We wouldn't all be up in arms over our potential new hire, or worse freaking out that he MAY NOT accept it!

Hopefully at this point, it's not a bidding war, but rather a meeting to iron out all of the non-compensation particulars of the offer. Well, they may indeed be haggling over asst coaches and compensation for them etc. but let's hope this is the real deal negotiations that will yield our next coach. Best case is the decision / acceptance is leaked, but as someone artfully pointed out, surely DM will want to go back to Tulsa to say his goodbyes.

Hopefully at this point, it's not a bidding war, but rather a meeting to iron out all of the non-compensation particulars of the offer. Well, they may indeed be haggling over asst coaches and compensation for them etc. but let's hope this is the real deal negotiations that will yield our next coach. Best case is the decision / acceptance is leaked, but as someone artfully pointed out, surely DM will want to go back to Tulsa to say his goodbyes.

I think Manning's made it into a bidding war. Hopefully he's as cold-blooded with his basketball strategy as he is with his negotiating skills.

Shaka I get. Completely different school at VCU. He is one of the, if not the, hottest name out there for mid major coaches. He is running VCU the way he wants. He can hold there for a huge job - IU, Louisville, Kentucky, UNC,etc.

Manning is a ways away from that stature and has to further establish himself before he would be considered for Kansas. Success at Wake would do well for him.

Back