• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

And this is based on what? His NBA experience? You think that will translate into recruits? Isiah Thomas was a far more famous NBA player and turned out to be a complete flop as a coach. Manning has been a head coach for two years. Two years! There is not enough there to say whether or not he will be successful.

This is a fair question to ask.

In terms of why I think he can recruit:

1. He can point to his NCAA Tournament win as a player and a coach.
2. He can point to who he recruited at Kansas (whether or not he was the lead recruiter on them is irrelevant in most cases).
3. He can point to who he developed at Kansas.
4. Whether or not we like to admit it or not, he is a black male who is recruiting to black males, and at that a reasonably younger black male compared to his competition. I think that this is a big part of the puzzle as well, particularly as it pertains to recruiting.

You can be upset if you want to, but of all the things that could leave you with a scarred opinion of him coming in, you are choosing this?

You're like Jerry Seinfeld turning down the women that he is dating because of absurdly high standards.

I want a coach that wants to be here more than anything else. I don't see that here.

And you are right! I CAN be upset if I want to.

I think Manning's made it into a bidding war. Hopefully he's as cold-blooded with his basketball strategy as he is with his negotiating skills.

I disagree with this sentiment a bit... I think he is trying to be respectful of the institution and administration that gave him his first head coaching gig. I think it's a bit of a dick move if he gets an offer from an ACC program that is obviously and empirically better than Tulsa and he just turns around and says "F you guys, I'm out!" If he "thinks about it" overnight, he is giving the impression that it's a tough decision for him, even if he secretly wants to jump on the Wake offer immediately.

I think he has appropriately set expectations for both fan bases by saying he is leaning towards accepting the offer: it gives Tulsa fans a heads-up that he's probably gone so they don't have to agonize over the next day or two, wondering who their coach will be (like we have been), and it let's Wake fans know that he realizes this is a much better job but that he's loyal and respectful.

This is the first head coaching job he's had to leave; I think he wants to make sure he doesn't burn any bridges and goes out with respect and professionalism. I don't think he's playing us. But I could probably convince myself that Bernie Madoff was "just trying to help people."

Well given Manning asked Tulsa to lessen their academic standards, not to mention his reliance on JuCos, shouldn't that give those who are supportive of Wake's stance cause for concern?

It should but you would think the ACC would be enough for Manning to deal with the academic plan Wake is offering. The lack of an announcement and the smoke coming out that the donors aren't pleased is indicative of specific concerns on both sides of the negotiation with the concerns clearly not about money but other aspects.

Look, there are plenty of questions as to whether or not Manning will be successful here. They are legitimate and fair questions. Questions as to whether or not he can do the job, or if he is qualified for the job can, and should be asked, I just think that if he is hired, Manning should be given a fair chance to prove himself on his own accords.

thanks calloway

let me guess, you think wellman is the cat's pajamas

go fuck yourself

I have my own issues with Wellman, and you can criticize him for a lot of things, but this isn't one of them. I can assure you Wellman isn't calling the shots on the academic/admissions side of things. President Hatch, the Faculty, and the BOT are (although I'm sure if you asked him he agrees with them). If you don't like that, I don't know what to tell you.

Look, there are plenty of questions as to whether or not Manning will be successful here. They are legitimate and fair questions. Questions as to whether or not he can do the job, or if he is qualified for the job can, and should be asked, I just think that if he is hired, Manning should be given a fair chance to prove himself on his own accords.

I would agree, but given the obvious need for a "home run" hire, I think we are equally justified in anger at Wellman for failing to deliver that.

Fuck you twin boy

Manning will be a fine coach for us. In all likelihood he will stabilize us and bring in good talent.
Keep in mind, Manning was below .500 2 months ago and had some bad losses, including at home to Oral Roberts. Yes, they went on a very nice run but look at their wins. Point out the marquee wins that will make the average college hoops fan sit up and take notice. Plenty of bad losses, no really good wins except that La Tech game. And this was supposedly his good season. I just don't see how people, including you, can be pumped for this guy and make definitive statements like "Manning will be a fine coach for us." We don't know. He might be. But there's nothing in his resume that allows you to make that comment with any kind of certainty. Look at this post from the Tulsa board:
I wouldn't call his 2 years here a turn around yet or describe it as "quite remarkable". The turn-around from the beginning of this year is extremely impressive. However C-USA without Houston, UCF and Memphis, was significantly weaker (C-USA went from #8-#11th RPI under DW to now 13th). I wasn't happy with DW and I'm very happy with Manning. However, the program hasn't been turned around yet. The work has just begun. If Manning leaves now, it puts TU in a very difficult spot.

This is not what a turnaround looks like:

2010-11: 19-13 (11-5; lost in C-USA semi-final; C-USA #11 RPI)
2011-12: 17-14 (10-6; lost in C-USA quarter-final; C-USA #8 RPI)
2012-13: 17-16 (8-8; lost to #20 Mem in C-USA semi-final; CBI first round loss; C-USA #11 RPI)
2013-14: 21-13 (13-3; won C-USA tournament - all against the weakest C-USA in years: C-USA #13 RPI)

So far, this is more of the same outside of one outstanding C-USA tournament run by Manning (Which was awesome). I understand the difference between making the tournament and not is huge. However, C-USA was awful this year. Next year, Manning would face a much more difficult task in the AAC. It seems like he is going to bolt at the first opportunity and avoid that potential pitfall (somewhat similar to Graham leaving the year before TU had to face OSU, OU & Boise St in the first month).

If Manning is our coach he brings the experience of playing at the top level and of being a part of winning programs both as a player and as a coach. The experience of winning trumps the experience of trying to win and not quite doing it.

During his time on staff at Kansas, Manning has been part of one NCAA national title, two Final Fours, five NCAA Elite Eight appearances, eight Big 12 regular season conference titles, five Big 12 tournament championships and 269 career victories. As an assistant coach from 2007-12, KU compiled an overall 164-24 mark for an .872 winning percentage. As an assistant coach in 2008 and player in 1988, Manning was on the floor for KU's last two national championships.

In 2011-12, Manning helped lead the Jayhawks back to the NCAA Final Four with an overall 32-7 record and a Big 12 Conference regular season championship. The Jayhawks defeated Ohio State in a semifinal game before dropping a nine-point decision against No. 1-ranked Kentucky in the championship game.

This is a fair question to ask.

In terms of why I think he can recruit:

1. He can point to his NCAA Tournament win as a player and a coach.
2. He can point to who he recruited at Kansas (whether or not he was the lead recruiter on them is irrelevant in most cases).
3. He can point to who he developed at Kansas.
4. Whether or not we like to admit it or not, he is a black male who is recruiting to black males, and at that a reasonably younger black male compared to his competition. I think that this is a big part of the puzzle as well, particularly as it pertains to recruiting.

Serious question did he win or just make the 2nd round which is the newly named 1st round

Ugg can we get a shorthand for the obvious sentiment "for giving Manning a chance and the hope he takes advantage and suceeds ...etc )

There are legitimate questions to be discussed and dealt with and we shouldn't have to waste time constantly emphasizing in an assortment of different ways the obvious hope we'll have for manning while trying to gauge what people reasonably expect are answers to the questions concerning the future of our bball program.

Some posts from the Tulsa board. Seems a number of them aren't as crazy about Manning as some on here:

...These are also quotes from that same thread that you so conveniently left out:
"I hope Stead makes a Manning - pleasing decision today. It could affect TU basketball for a long time."

"FWIW the WF fans aren't to thrilled about Manning.
Hope he makes them happy by staying at TU. Danny is too good for that group of fans."

"So with Manning, he has a 5 year contract with 3 years remaining...
Give him a new contract for another 5 years...
Give all the assistant coaches a raise..."

"I'm braced for bad news. The campus visit - to a campus he is already undoubtedly familiar with..."

"IMO a lot of Wake's interest in Danny is Danny the person, very high recommendations from his peers, and his potential. His turn around at TU in 2 yrs is quite remarkable."

Despite the 2-3 quotes that you managed to pluck out BSF, their fan base seems to view Manning very highly. #ManUp

Deacsfan27, I agree that we should give Dan the Man our support. He has plenty of positive things going for him, except a lengthy HC resume. Well, it has to start somewhere. BOBSTACK, Wellman will tell him "No cutting corners, no JUCOs, now get back to work". We could be catching lighting in a bottle or we'll have to do this again in a couple of years.

When did I say I was pumped? I do think he will "be a fine coach" and turn us around. That's not a definitive statement by any meaning of the word.

Serious question did he win or just make the 2nd round which is the newly named 1st round

My #1 point should have read "he has won the NCAA Tournament as a player and as an assistant coach".

He did not win in the NCAA Tournament as a head coach.

Deacsfan27, I agree that we should give Dan the Man our support. He has plenty of positive things going for him, except a lengthy HC resume. Well, it has to start somewhere. BOBSTACK, Wellman will tell him "No cutting corners, no JUCOs, now get back to work". We could be catching lighting in a bottle or we'll have to do this again in a couple of years.

The problem is that if we have to do this again in a couple of years Wake will become even more irrelevant than we already are. This hire should be one that would definitely put us back on the map. Not one that may eventually put us back on.

I wanted Shaka, I wanted Marshall, I wanted Howland, and I wanted Miller more than I want Danny Manning, but I don't think that means he will be a bad hire.

It looks bad that we didn't land any of those other guys, but to a lot of outsiders, they were long shots to begin with.

I think a lot of our views differ tremendously from how people outside of this area/that are Wake fans view it.

The problem is that if we have to do this again in a couple of years Wake will become even more irrelevant than we already are. This hire should be one that would definitely put us back on the map. Not one that may eventually put us back on.

This is my biggest concern.

If we wind up hiring Manning and he turns out to be another dud, that puts Wake in at least a 6 year basketball funk. That is hard to overcome for anybody, and especially Wake Forest.

Back