• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Cycling Thread

Did a W-S to Pilot Mtn roundtrip Monday AM. Perfect morning...

Awesome! That's a great ride. Did you go UP Pilot, or just to Pilot?

Awesome! That's a great ride. Did you go UP Pilot, or just to Pilot?

Did the full summit and back to W-S. Yesterday did W-S to the Sauratown summit and back...felt really good climbing. Next weekend I'll combine the two (Double Humps, yo!) in prep for Blood, Sweat & Gears on 6/28

500m of climbing done, time to start descending...

u3epabe6.jpg

vad, sometimes i hate you just a little bit.

Not seeing a helmet in that photo. Jus' sayin'...

Anyone done Blood, Sweat & Gears in the NC mountains? Coming up at the end of this month...

So I may finally be ready to take the plunge and buy a new ride. It's either going to be a Salsa Vaya or Surly Disc Trucker. Right now, I'm heavily leaning toward the Vaya, as it seems a bit more versatile for the types of rides I'd likely be taking. Also found a small local bike shop with an old (2012 or 2013?) frame sitting around, and the owner said he'd take $250 for what might normally be a $600 frame.

Now, what's the thought on Shimano 105s versus SRAM components (X7, perhaps)?

Also, would I be getting WAY in over my head trying to build the bike myself? I have no technical experience with this, but would like to learn.

i'd think the biggest issue with building it out yourself is how much you'd spend on tools. if you find a coop that lets folks come work on the bike with their tools it might be doable if you find a shaman*.

*i've never built out a bike from scratch, but i've done some work on them.

you WILL spend more if you build it up yourself than if you just buy a bike... or at least i know for a fact i would. way easier to justify the up-sell when it's $20 at a time, rather than all at once with a full build. I'd love to do it some day, though.

As for shimano 105 vs X7? 105 all the way.
that's kind of a Ford vs Dodge vs Chevy question, though.

...but seriously, shimano.

I always imagined vad as a 60 year old dude banging some hot model in Monaco.

you WILL spend more if you build it up yourself than if you just buy a bike... or at least i know for a fact i would. way easier to justify the up-sell when it's $20 at a time, rather than all at once with a full build. I'd love to do it some day, though.

As for shimano 105 vs X7? 105 all the way.
that's kind of a Ford vs Dodge vs Chevy question, though.

...but seriously, shimano.

if you can continue to get components for under market like that huge markdown on the frame, AND you have the tools and knowledge base to build, you could build a bike cheaply

the knowledge part shouldn't be a barrier - you can use the internet or even the library for that part

and as for tools, an alien tool plus the stuff you have in your tool box like needle nose pliers should cover most of your needs

it's not like you'll be soldering or anything

ETA: agree completely on the shimano rec

For the past few weeks after work I've been biking the CLT greenway and bringing a small fishing rod to catch a few small sunfish. It's only about a 5 mile round trip but I'm tired when I'm done and I'm starting to build endurance.

bridge_skyline_bikes.jpg

I'm slowly working my way up to lbE/vad status :thumbsup:

if you can continue to get components for under market like that huge markdown on the frame, AND you have the tools and knowledge base to build, you could build a bike cheaply

the knowledge part shouldn't be a barrier - you can use the internet or even the library for that part

and as for tools, an alien tool plus the stuff you have in your tool box like needle nose pliers should cover most of your needs

it's not like you'll be soldering or anything

ETA: agree completely on the shimano rec

this is all very true, and I wish I had the patience to do this. I just get too antsy and then start wanting things to look pretty...

My first bike was a Frankenbike, built up from a used frame I got cheap and whatever parts the boy who I had a crush on had in his garage. It was an awesome build, but was only possible because his garage was home of discarded parts off all the bikes of him, his two brothers, mother and father (they all rode). That's used stuff, though. It's difficult to find "deals" on new parts that are any deeper than the 'deal' you get for just purchasing the same components as a gruppo on a bike, at least if you're trying to go for name brand stuff.

Back