• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Friend is planning a bachelor party in Philly and wants to play a round. Any suggestions for good, public courses in the Philadelphia area?
How far out are they willing to go? There's a course called Raven's Claw about an hour west of the city that is pretty nice, I think they held an LPGA event there once. I've been wanting to play one called Jeffersonville in Norristown but just haven't had a nice day to take advantage of yet.

They're supposedly going to totally remake Cobbs Creek into a PGA-level course but have messed up the permitting like 5 times. I'm hoping it will be like the SF courses where city residents pay like $60 for a great course.

Philly area has some of the top private golf in the country (Pine Valley, Merion, Aronimink, Philly Cricket, Philly CC, etc.). No idea about the publics tho.

Friend is planning a bachelor party in Philly and wants to play a round. Any suggestions for good, public courses in the Philadelphia area?
I've heard LuLu is well worth playing. It is semi-private IIRC but not that difficult to get on.

Question on golf in the St Andrews Scotland area-is there a (less popular) course that you can walk on while you are there (in July) vs. trying to get an early reservation/win a lottery slot? thanks,

Question on golf in the St Andrews Scotland area-is there a (less popular) course that you can walk on while you are there (in July) vs. trying to get an early reservation/win a lottery slot? thanks,

Lots of courses in that area. None of the Links Trust courses (castle, New, Jubilee, etc) are nearly as popular as the Old Course. Also. Kingsbarns is in the area. And Elie is very solid from what I've been told.

[mention]Liquid Karma [/mention] bat signal

New
Jubilee
Castle
Eden
Craig
Elie
Leven
Lundin
Dumbarnie ($$$)
Kingsbarns ($$$$)

Elie is a revelation if you're into architecture and quirk. It's the Fife version of North Berwick. Not as good, but similar vibes.

If you want a sneak peak at some of the courses, you can check out No Laying Up’s YouTube Channel. They went there a few years ago and have some cool videos from many of the courses LK listed. Bucket list trip for sure.

Last edited:

I’ve never played them, but the courses I want to play if I ever return to Fife are Crail, Anstruther (9 holes) and Elie

Jubilee and New are the easiest logistical alternatives if you don’t win a lottery slot

Planning an Ireland trip starting in Dublin with Corballis and working our way north with Royal Country Down and Royal Portrush

I’ve never played them, but the courses I want to play if I ever return to Fife are Crail, Anstruther (9 holes) and Elie

Jubilee and New are the easiest logistical alternatives if you don’t win a lottery slot
I played the older course at Crail - it was fun and quirky. And not too far from the Old course. My buddy put his name on the list at the Old Course, we went and played at Crail, and by the time we got back to the Old Course his name came up and he played it as well that day.
The day before we had just arrived in St. Andrews and I put my name on the list at the Old Course at like 11am, never thinking I would get on. I hung around and hung around and my name came up around 3:30 and I got to play!

I had a similar experience my first trip in 2012. Played Crail in the morning then checked into house in St. Andrews. Walked over to starter hut and got Mt name down and ended up playing at 4 PM with one of my friends and 2 locals. It was glorious.

Unfortunately that's damn near impossible right now. Covid caused them to roll 2 years of trips forward and the tee sheer is jammed. Half the number of ballot and stand by slots as before.

this looks cool

Anybody familiar with 'Contentment', a new golf course being built near Elkin/Wilkesboro? I don't think they have done much yet, but they are having an 'open house' later in March. https://www.contentmentgolf.com/

I'm guessing it will be a steep price tag private course. Lester George is an exceptional architect, so I expect it to be a very good course.

Back